Twins 2022

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

To be fair Correa has been on a tear lately.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I thought the purpose of the season is for the pitcher to build up arm strength so we have are best pitchers able to throw more than 7 innings. The kid was pitching lights out and he was taken from the game and maybe his one chance to get a no hitter. Watkins should of been fired a month ago with Baldelli!

amen brother

FryDog62

“Watkins is TERRIBLE btw – how do you NOT address that?!”
    ——————————–

I’m sure Rocco has addressed this, although I have never heard him comment. The manager can objectively criticize his players in post-game pressers – has he also said anything about TW? Maybe I missed it ~

Never seen a 3B coach that inept..

Umy
    South Metro

Roger that FryDog
    They showed stats of the “most complete” games thrown this year
    ALL but the Twins were in April or May and one in June.
    In my way of thinking the off season spring training should have gotten them to where they need to be arm strength and number of pitches – IMHO

BigWerm
    SW Metro

They showed stats of the “most complete” games thrown this year
    ALL but the Twins were in April or May and one in June.

I’d be interested to see that breakdown. A complete game used to be a badge of honor, complete game shut-out a great outing, a complete game no-hitter something to be remembered for, and a perfect game was remembered for eternity. Any no-hitters this year? And how does that compare to historical # of no-hitters?

Btw at the Class C Amateur State Tournament eventual Champion Nisswa’s MVP Nate DeChaine threw 198 pitches in a complete game W 8 innings in game 1 and 5 1/3rd in game 2 on Sunday to get Nisswa to the Championship on Monday. It was an all Victory League final as Nisswa beat the Buckman Billygoats.

Dan
    Southeast MN

A complete game used to be a badge of honor, complete game shut-out a great outing

Growing up in the 90’s there were complete-game losses all the time, a starter might lose 3-2 or something and it was still somewhat of a heroic thing because he kept his team in the game and didn’t cause anyone from the bullpen to be burned up.

Nisswa’s MVP Nate DeChaine threw 198 pitches in a complete game

RIP. Leading cause of death among pitchers according to Lavelle.

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

Is there merit in claiming that pitchers’ endurance has been greatly reduced as velocity and spin rate has been emphasized over location?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I don’t know how there could be any scientific data on that when nobody is going past the 6th inning anymore to find out.

What there is data is the high spin rate is causing more elbow and shoulder injuries even though they are throwing less pitches. But don’t tell that to the analytics brigade. They will just shuffle their numbers around on their clipboard until they come up with something that says otherwise.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

To be fair to the kid who threw the pitches Lavelle knows very little about baseball.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I don’t know how there could be any scientific data on that when nobody is going past the 6th inning anymore to find out.

What there is data is the high spin rate is causing more elbow and shoulder injuries even though they are throwing less pitches. But don’t tell that to the analytics brigade. They will just shuffle their numbers around on their clipboard until they come up with something that says otherwise.

It’s odd/funny that they aren’t trying to replicate Mariano Rivera and Greg Maddux’s technique, given how great and reliable they were and they both basically threw one pitch with great movement but little spin rate. Instead they want more Kerry Wood’s I guess whistling

orve4

BigWerm wrote:
    Nisswa’s MVP Nate DeChaine threw 198 pitches in a complete game

The difference is the Kid from Nisswa has a championship and Rocco and the twins starter do not. Lavelle do a lot of scouting of these town team pitchers? I would venture to bet these guys that throw on the weekend have a lot more innings on there arms then the guys in the pro’s. some of these guys have been throwing for years every weekend for 20 years. Tyler Jendro of sobieski comes to mind who would have multiple starts in the same weekend with high pitch counts. A kid from my home town has been doing it since high school would start multiple games in a day if needed to get to state. He is in his mid thirties and won two games in one weekend for his ametuer team to make it to state. Then in a two day game threw all 11 innings of there game with no arm trouble at all.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Tyler Jendro of sobieski

I tried looking that up as that was one of, if not thee, best performance and most pitches I’ve heard a guy throwing in a weekend. I want to say it was like 240 some pitches on Champioinship weekend and he left with a Trophy and a MVP.

orve4

I think it was the year after they won the first state title the lost a 1-0 game to open the state tourney to Spring hill and I think they scored an unearned run. Like I said multiple times cheap beer and good competition at a local level is all the baseball I need. Living in Avon now I am spoiled with the victory and stearns county league within miles of my front door. Not to mention a state tournament coming soon.
    BigWerm have you seen the new lights in Avon yet?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

BigWerm have you seen the new lights in Avon yet?

Only online, I don’t get back to the old stomping grounds much since my parents retired to the cabin and I live in the cities. Always liked playing in Avon, and especially when leaving with a W!

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I remember in the late 60s the Twins had 2 relief pitchers. The right hander was Al Worthington and the lefty was Ron Perranoski. The starters were expected to finish the game.

Ripjiggen

Although I agree with what you guys are saying, comparing town ball pitchers to guys that make millions doing it for a living is a bit silly.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Although I agree with what you guys are saying, comparing town ball pitchers to guys that make millions doing it for a living is a bit silly.

I would agree if guys that make millions weren’t doing the same thing a generation ago as town ball pitchers are now, but the guys who make millions now have been forced to stop doing that, against their own wishes often, by nerds (insert Animal House NERDSSSS gif here). Except for Verlander…and Scherzer…and maybe a few others, but you get it.

Umy
    South Metro

aaaaagggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Wasting the Ober start should about do it.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

If Sanchez would get off his effing knee with runners on base he might have been able to block the wild pitch the proper way.
    Archer falling over on his follow through. No discipline in teaching the fundamentals for awhile. “Oh, the player is ‘more comfortable’ doing it their way”.
    Having players play multiple positions is good for keeping the best bats in the lineup but leads to misplays in the field. Cleveland’s rally started with Gordon’s misplay at second. There are many more instances of this all year long.
    When do the Twins have the parade scheduled to hand out the participation medals?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you don’t play Gordon at second you need to stick the new kid there who can’t hit a lick. Then Gordon could go to center and Celestino to the bench. I’m not a Celestino fan by any stretch but he is better than the new kid IMO. It doesn’t matter now, the season ended last night for them.

By the way……Cave jerked another one! He has been a very pleasant surprise. I’m proud of the kid for hanging in there and getting another chance and then making good on it. applause

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The #1 thing to take out of this season is how a big league shortstop should look. Correa has been a pleasure and no matter who we have at short next year it will be a step backwards. (unless Correa somehow returns)

Thank you Carlos. applause

Brad Dimond

Rocco runs Pagan out again, two hits and a run in one inning. ERA at 9.00… please stop the madness!

JoeMX1825
    MN

RIP 2022 Twins, hoping for a complete coaching group change in 2023…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I can’t believe you guys are still watching this mess. And that’s coming from a die hard.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Cave has done OK, now that he has learned to stop diving for everything in the outfield. He has 2 oppos this year I think.

The Twins will have trouble putting their jerseys on the rest of the year with forks sticking out of their backs.

FryDog62

Who knows if Wallner will continue to emerge as an every day fixture. But it would be nice to see a quality player replace the “one-good-season” Kepler. Max has only hit .250 once in 8 seasons. Turns 30 over the winter, constant nagging injuries… “best” years behind him?

Ripjiggen

Guessing Max is on the team next year as he is owed 8.5 mill. No way they pick up the club option for 10 mill the following year.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Twins rookie of the year?

Gordon
    Miranda
    Ryan
    Duran

Ripjiggen

Duran. Is it even close?

Viewing 30 posts - 1,501 through 1,530 (of 1,580 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.