Thursday fishing

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Made it out yesterday to the canal again with my dad, and the wind made it interesting to say the least! Gusts up to 30mph or so, but it still wasn’t too bad. I knew the water temp had probably dropped a little bit with this great weather we’ve been having lately, with a little bit of rain mixed in, but I didn’t think it was going to be all the way down 7 degrees to 75 the way it was. That’s ok, it should stay in that range for weeks to come, provided our weather doesn’t absolutely crash.

Like last week, we didn’t have the cranks down 4 minutes and we had a fish on, and I’m convinced it was walleye/saug. He was one of three nice looking rod benders that just simply popped the hook. Sure would have been nice to get them all in.

We only managed 6 fish; 3 nice whites, a kittenfish, a crappie and dad’s first sauger that went 18 1/4″. He was pretty excited, and I was glad to net it for him. Picture looks more like a walleye, but about 5 minutes later, his spots really came out.

We only fished for crappies for about 35 minutes or so, and they just weren’t where we were hoping they’d be. Plus, I’ve got something going on with my batteries I’m afraid, so I didn’t have the use of my electrics yesterday in that wind, otherwise we may have tried a few more crappie spots.

August continues to be a great surprise month for me. Hope to make it out again next week.

slaktrak

Great going under those conditions.

Are you sure that isn’t a Saugeye and not a sauger ?

Looks like the profile is pretty fat compared to the torpedo profiled sauger I’ve ever caught. None the less it’s a nice fish.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.