Tingler Spoon

• jad2001

Do people recommend up-sizing the hooks on the 1/8th oz tingler spoons? I have a few and they work well, but there are times when the hook up is not.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Do people recommend up-sizing the hooks on the 1/8th oz tingler spoons? I have a few and they work well, but there are times when the hook up is not.

For crappie and perch, no. For walleye, yes.

Red Eye

Do you use the 1/8 oz size mostly or the next bigger size for eyes?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Do you use the 1/8 oz size mostly or the next bigger size for eyes?

I use both. Can’t say one is better than the other in all honesty. Really comes down to a choice about profile since the larger size is only 1/16th oz heavier.

Gerry LaBau

The Perch pattern with the orange in it, has been incredible this year in clear water. In dingy water the UV orange has produced. watching this bait on camera it becomes clear why it’s so deadly. short stroking and bottom pounding had best results for me, I have like 12 of them now.

Ryan Lund

James there’s been a few times in the show you talk about fish coming in, turning away, coming back and so forth multiple times before they eat. What are your tips or tricks in your jigging cadence to trigger those fish to finally bite?

jad2001

I agree with you Gerry, that perch pattern has been really good for me as well for walleyes in clear water. Overall, the Tingler spoons have been outstanding compared to other baits we have tried this year.

James, I am interested in the trigger as well. Have tried a lot of things, but have not found anything that was obvious to get the bite. And for the up-sizing of the hook, do you recommend just one size up?

Thanks.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

I’m not James but… one thing that has helped me a lot is reading a fishes attitude on the flasher. If you watch, you can read the fish’s reaction to your moves. Besides actually practicing… I watched a lot of YouTube videos of underwater footage of fish interacting with the bait. Then I try to imagine when a fish comes in those same moves. When I see a mark on the flasher… quicker moves and more red = good, while slower moves with a weaker signal = bad.

So here is a typical scenario… jigging aggressive waiting for a mark, fish shows up near the bottom and ascends to your bait. You slow your jiggle and begin to raise the lure slowly… standard move. But the fish doesn’t eat, now the game begins. I used to just drop the bait back down to the level slightly above the mark and begin the lift and shake and hope the fish would change its mind. That usually didn’t get the job done. This is where watching underwater footage of how a fish reacts to a bait helps a lot. I saw a lot of times where when the bait fell past the fish that really got their attention. Sometimes they hit it as it falls past or it just helps to turn them on. So I’ve started dropping right past the mark into the bottom, shake it right on the bottom and slowly lift out of the mud. If they don’t take then I give a bigger lift up 1-3 feet. Basically I’m trying to urine them off or shift their attitude from negative or neutral to positive. All the time I’m watching the mark… if the fish starts to move more quickly with one mover or another, than I key on that move and go from there. If they continue to slowly move around, or seem to fade… time to mix it up. I wouldn’t say any one move or series of moves works with every fish… so thats why its important to watch how a fish reacts as you’re moving the bait. I’m no pro… but that has helped me a lot. The IDO episode where James is blasting perch on Devil’s lake a few years ago with the camera is a good place to start.

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

Great advice youngfry,sometimes it’s nice to be reminded of good techniques.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Does anyone sell Trigger power to put on your lure to trigger the bite?

jad2001

Thanks for feedback.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.