temps the first weekend

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

so, following the weather for the first week of deer hunting doesnt look good for taking care of a deer after you get one down. it doesnt go below freezing until that thursday…..in northern mn anyway.

i am certain if i or my kid is fortunate enough to get a deer, i’m getting it out of the woods to get it skun and in a frig. we are fortunate enough to have 2 extra frig’s in sheds at the cabin. we also have to take the deer in the first 2 days of season to have it checked for CWD so thats more time!!!!!!

i hope other hunters are having a game plan also!!!! waytogo

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

The temps just keep creeping up every day it gets closer. Seems like it has been warm more than cold the last handful of years. Planning on spraying my clothing down with permethrin since the ticks will probably be thick still. I have got a 20lb block of ice in the past and put it in the cavity overnight to help with keeping it cool. Good luck everyone.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Last year I ran for bags of ice and filled the cavity and hung a tarp to keep the sun of the one I got opening morning and was worried about it but Monday when I got it to the butcher it was still cold inside.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This kinda happened last year too. We got 6 inches of snow in the middle of October and people were clamoring they would be ice fishing by Halloween…and then it was in the 60’s on deer opener.

There’s definitely a pattern of warmer deer seasons now. I haven’t experienced a bitter cold one for about a decade and several that were unusually warm.

Right now it says mostly 50’s in the north and 60’s in the south for a high on Sat/Sun.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Planning on spraying my clothing down with permethrin since the ticks will probably be thick still.

This. Great reminder I need to respray a bunch of my outer layers. Mid 50s will still have active ticks.

blackbay

Ugh, better than -10 I suppose.

deertracker

2nd weekend looks great in NW MN. Temp slowly going down all week. Snow on Thursday!
    DT

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

3x this year,
    leave hide on.
    pack body with ice.
    Bungee 2x 20lb bags ice into cavity and between rear thighs.
    Hang Head down
    Puncture ice bags so they leak
    Puncture cavity where esophagus goes into neck to allow ice melt to drain.

Kill and hang in any temp for $12 in ice.

Easy breasy

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

1. Harvest and field dress deer
    2. Take off the hide
    3. Hang in the cooler

We bought an old Tombstone truck box that was well insulated. We removed the decals, flipped a used compressor in it, and for around a grand have 24′ of refrigerated storage. We can hold temps as low as 15 degrees inside during Summer if we wish.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Looking like mid-50’s for a high, and mid-30’s overnight in northern MN, I don’t think that means you need to take drastic measures, does it? Hang em in the shade and it’s about the same as a refrigerator. The few years where it was 60-70 degree highs we certainly went the extra mile.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.