Summer trout

• goosehunter

I fish one local stream for trout every year in the spring and usually catch a ton, but i want to fish it in summer more but the trout just seem to disappear. these are wild brown trout not stockies. this stream has an ocassional deep pool (5-8 FOW) with many more pools in the 3-4 ft, so do any of you guys have an idea of where the might hold in the summer?

ozzyky
    On water

Water could get too warm. Try to find where there is a seepage or springs they are probably in the cooler water of the stream you are fishing.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Another thought is early and late in the day (or night) as these times will have the coolest temps. The trout are obviously there and they continue to eat. It’s just a matter of finding the active windows. Dark hours may be the ticket.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Also, switch up the weather you’re trying to fish in. As nice as it is to be out there on a sunny day, cloudy may be better.

Agree with others about the time of day as well.

Sometimes you also REALLY have to dig into the fly box and work through different patterns. Don’t forget the terrestrials like the hoppers and ants. Fish will rise to them even when they aren’t seen to be surface feeding. Flick a nice fat hopper out and drift it over a holding place, a fish on the bottom can see that fat Big Mac coming for a long ways and it’s dang hard to resist if presented well.

Also, you didn’t hear it from me, but try a small mouse pattern. No, really. Very low productivity, but when you do get a fish to hammer it, it ain’t likely to be a small one.

Grouse

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Another option might be to wait until a little later in the Summer and early Fall. I haven’t fished Browns much that time of the year but I know Brook trout will sometimes “gang up” in spawning holes. The key is knowing where those spots are though. It might also be best to fish in overcast/cloudy days.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.