Strikemaster Lazer Mag

• Tommy

Hey guys,

I was having an issue with my auger last year. When I was drilling holes, the auger would catch on the bottom of the ice and not break though. The force when it happened the first time practically ripped my arms off. Once I knew to expect it, I’d lay off when I’d near the bottom, but I’d have to forcefully push the auger through the bottom of the ice to break through.

Does anybody know what causes this? Could it have been dull blades? It seemed to cut fine up until the bottom, so I’m not sure why it would happen every time. I struggled with it all year, and it was only my 2nd season with it. Just curious if I just need to swap the blades out, or if it needs a different kind of service.

Gotta make sure I’m ready for first ice! Not that far away now.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I found with the Laser blades that you need to kind of feather it through the last couple inches of ice. You get used to this very quickly and it becomes a non issue. I could be due to slightly dull blades or the pitch of the blades being slightly off.

How can the pitch get off? By banging the auger on the ice to remove built up ice or setting it down on the ice too hard. It does not take a lot to do it, that’s why I always cut the holes with my auger and never let friends use it.

The pitch can be fixed if that is the problem but the bit will have to be taken or shipped in for service.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

What you describe is not all that uncommon, have seen it many times. Chipper blades have less of that problem but cut slower than lazer blades. Icenutz maybe correct in that the blades are out of alignment. What I try to do differently when getting close to the bottom is making sure you’re at full throttle and then leaning hard over the top to just punch it through.

mozy
    LQP

I’ve had the same issue with mine since it was new. I’ve heard it had to do with the pitch as well, but have never had mine fixed. I just lift the auger slightly as it cuts through the last couple inches.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I would make sure the point is real sharp and the blades are new and go fishing……

Brian Anderson
    Eden Prairie, MN

I have the same problem with mine, i learned how to feather it right before it cuts through, it still grabs once and awhile but im getting better at it

Bassn Dan

I also have a Lazer Mag and I agree that sometimes it seems like the last inch of ice is “tougher” than the rest. Make sure that you are clearing your chips by lifting the auger now and then and then finesse it through the tough layer – not too fast so it grabs, but help it a little to get through. If it’s REALLY hard to get through, probably need to sharpen or replace the blades.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

A new or properly pitched laser drill should not catch when it breaks through. I had this issue with my previous laser drill. The pitch was off from slamming the drill down when it would clog with ice and snow.

I have since purchased a new 8″ laser auger and an additional 10″drill. Neither drill catches like my previous one because I’ve been extremely cautious about the pitch.

I’ve heard that D-rock can adjust the pitch for you, but I’ve heard it’ll never be like new again.

Please keep in mind that the steel used in these drills is very soft due to the need to be strong in very cold temperatures. A harder steel could simply break a cold temperatures.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

This happened to my lazer straight outta the box, and my friend’s lazer, and my other friend’s lazer. The best solution I’ve found is to not put full downward pressure on the auger as I get towards the bottom.

It almost feels as if you have to ‘hold it back’ on the last couple of inches, not the throttle, but hold back the downward pressure significantly and it will breeze through with little issue.

djshannon
    Crosslake

I have very little problem with break through.

Let the auger do the work not heavy downward pressure.

The key to letting the auger do the work is sharp blades and a Sharp Point.

The point starts the cutting process, if not sharp the auger requires excessive pressure.

Even if you replace the blade you need to sharpen the point by had.

Nick Cox
    Minnesota

Usually this can be caused by too much down pressure being applied by the operator. Allow the auger to do your work for you, and just by feel you will know when you are about to break through. At that point, you can typically let off the gas a bit and continue to allow the auger to do your work for you.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.