St. Croix Sturgeon Report

• Big Fish

I have been out 7 times for sturgeon around Bayport already this winter. I have soaked my bait for 55 hours in 6 different spots. I have caught only 3 sturgeon with 2 being over 50 inches. I only fish for them at night because that is what is convenient for me. 1 sturgeon every 18 hours isn’t exactly ideal and the last 4 nights I have been skunked. Even the mud puppies have been shut down a few of the nights.

Now I ask, has anyone else been out for them this winter and been having better luck than me? Are they biting better during the day? Because they sure aren’t biting good at night right now. I am typing this report on the ice in 2 inches of standing water wondering what I can be doing different right now.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

The only thing I’m interested is ice and depth report… ;)

All I have to say is…caught a few too many while crappie fishing.

uninc4709

I too would be interested in ice conditions… Hopefully we get a solid re-freeze.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I am typing this report on the ice in 2 inches of standing water wondering what I can be doing different right now.

Get off the ice?

The reports I’ve been reading were all talking about deteriorating ice conditions. (I have not been out).

There’s so many questions a person could ask from what type of rig your using to what locations your fishing at. Typically it’s not one thing that’s holding a person back from catching more sturg, it’s a number of things (including the bite is off).

Big Fish

There is still fishable ice everywhere that I was. 6-8 inches still even up to the thin ice signs by the discharge even after that nasty rain. Use discretion obviously. Haven’t been out after the snow last night.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

How much clear ice and how much cloudy?

Big Fish

The rain washed away lots of the cloudy ice. Still a few patchy spots of it. I’m curious how it looks after this snow. There had to still have been pools of water on the ice while it was snowing.

Brandon Dummer

Curious if anyone has been out in the Bayport area and what the ice conditions are would like to get out and do some sturgeon fishing I live an hour and a half away any info would be greatly appreciated

3Rivers

7-9” of ice in the Bayport basin. The river came up a bit and pulled the shore ice away a few feet. The fish seem to really be spread out this year and I’m guessing it’s due to the King Plant being mostly shut down. It’s a waiting game for sure… More like Sturgeon hunting than fishing.

Big Fish

The ice is fine but be prepared to not catch any sturgeon… seriously. I know a few guys are catching some here and there but most people are going home without catching any. They are still out there somewhere and some nice ones are being caught here and there. But for the most part it is extremely slow.

Brandon Dummer

Wondering what the ice conditions are on the croix if anyone has been out recently. Thanks in advance. And tight lines.

zoomer
    Twin Cities

Made it out this morning. I walked out but did see some cars and small trucks. Weird that there is not 1 permanent set up in shanty town.

Brandon Dummer

Was out yesterday 3;30 to 1030 no no sturgeon mud puppies were active about 13 inches of ice where I was set up but it was nice to get out on the croix hopefully next weekend will be better

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.