St Croix Premier Ice Rods?????????

• Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

So I’m looking to upgrade to a better and longer ice rod. Anybody have reviews on the St Croix Premiere Ice Rod series? I just cannot bring myself to spend more than $30 (maybe $40) for a rod.

While I understand Thorne Bros, TUCR and others make a great product. But I just can’t justify it. Especially for a panfish rod.

Does anybody know about the 30″ Ultralight series. Reviews?

schrumy
    Clearwater MN

I have 3 of the 28″ Ultra light and really like them. (a guy can never have to many fishing rods ;) ) The feel and sensitivity are good and the rod has enough back bone to set the hook and handle the larger fish if you hook one. I did just buy a TUCR and am interested comparing that to what I have been using.

competitor
    South central, mn

I also have the 28″ ultralight and love it. Has been my go to rod for pannies. I am also looking for a longer rod this year. Please post on your comparison schrumy.

Nick roth

I have an ultralight and two mediums. Love these rods for the price. Go to the manufactures web site and you might find a deal. That’s what I did.

taz
    Frederic wi

There great rods I just with the didn’t break so easily. I’ve had three tip break off on them right at the end. I just added a new tip to it and it’s good to go. The fraibil quick tips are great rods along with the fenwick rods and if you can afford it the TUCR’s in 28-32″ are sweet setups..

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

So I’m seeing a lot of reports about the St Croix eyes being all out of alignment. That’s doesn’t seem right.

So looking at Fenwick it appears they really don’t jump into the longer ice rid market.

So it looks like Frabill Bro Finesse series might be the way to go for this price range. Anybody have any input of the Frabill Bro Panfish Finesse 30″ and 35″?

Mike Johnson
    Nashua Iowa

I liked them fine good sensitivity and fished nice up until they broke. I take care of my rods and keep them in an otter case and have broke all 3 St Croix Premier rods I owned while fishing. All broke with in 3″ of the tip.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I have the panfish and walleye versions of this rod line. They are great rods and Fleetfarm clearances them in late February making they a great bargain.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

You should look at the 13 fishing rods. I have a 31″mh in the wicked series, $30, that I love for medium and larger baits when fishing walleyes and its also my back up laker rod. They also make a 33.5″ medium in the whiteout series, which is a $40 rod. I’ve almost bought it about 3 different times as it seems like a great blank but I honestly don’t need another rod, so I’m waiting for one to break. I also have had 4 different premiers in the past. Two broke because I’m stupid, I have a 28m for my bobber rod and the 36m that I mainly use in with the iFish Pro and when hole hopping.

Ty Kennedy

I have the 36 M, MH, and 32 M. They are nice rods and can handle big walleye applications. The reel seat is very nice with the screw on threading and the rods balance nice. I use braid on all of mine and haven’t had any issues with any of them in any way.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

The St. Croix Premiers are great rods. The 28″ UL and ML have the right action. The M power are a bit more powerful than others. About equal to most other in MH. The 36″ L can also be an excellent deadstick rod.

mojogunter

I would say they are a good rod for the money. That being said, they are no where near a Thorne or TUCR rod. I bought a couple of them for extra rods for guys to use that didn’t have one. One tip broke off I repaired it and sold them both. I think for a low level rod they are on par with a frabil.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I like the avid ice series rods, I have the 30″ UL and is been my goto panfish rod for a few years now!

NateR
    St Louis Park, MN

Used the 30″ light action avid glass ice rod yesterday for the cold front and was great. Was able to detect the light bites yesterday. I came home with my limit of crappies while the guy next to me only caught a few. Fresh fish fry for the house today.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.