Carolina Rig ?’s

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’ve never fished a carolina Rig much. Just curious what main line most people fish on their setups. Given how long of a cast that you can make with this setup I’d think a Superline (Powerpro) would be a grat choice for the low stretch factor on the hooksets and also the better sensitivity. Also curious what are some of you favorite baits are to fish on them. One last ? – How long of a leader do you usually use say for stained and then clear water?

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

I use fluorocarbon (it sinks)
    I use craw-worms,Flukes,brush-hogs and lizards
    leaders range from 18″-48″
    it depends how much drift or float I want in the bait
    (shorter in rocks-gravel longer in grass-weeds_

BBKK
    IA

30# power pro with a 2 foot leader to my set-up. I think it is important to have your weight and bead on fluoro line rather than braid, it seems to move more and create more sound.

So I run braided line to a 2′ leader of fluoro, then an egg sinker or bullet weight, glass bead, barrel swivel, and then another fluoro leader to my bait.

If I am fishing a spot with structure and I don’t want to risk getting broke off and losing my whole rig (tungsten weights are expensive!) I use braid all the way to the swivel, then a fluoro leader. If I get snagged the leader will break and all I will lose is the hook and bait, vs a $1.50 weight, ball bearing swivel, and glass bead.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Quote:

I use fluorocarbon (it sinks)
    I use craw-worms,Flukes,brush-hogs and lizards
    leaders range from 18″-48″
    it depends how much drift or float I want in the bait
    (shorter in rocks-gravel longer in grass-weeds_

What weight Fluro do you run as the main line?

riverrat63

I like to use 15 pound red label floro as my main line then, then depending on what the water is like i use a 12 or 15 pound leader with either a 1/2 or 3/4 oz tungsten weight, i use that on a 7’2 rod, i have had luck on tubes,senkos,lizards,and sweet beavers

iceman35
    upstate New York

KISS Keep It Simple Stupid… 12# mono main line, same for leader. 1/2 3/4 oz egg sinker, swivel, bead. leader length, long as your arm. snag and have to retie, its all right there on your reel. saves time.
    throw in a bag of junbug lizards and your set.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.