Snowmageddon

• Ripjiggen

Not where I live we got 15 inches in that storm.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I can’t even imagine what the aftermath of that would smell like! shock

rotflol got that right. Belle must be half country away! roll

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Man, one of my favorite meteorologists that is generally VERY accurate just came out with his latest forecast. Go give it a look! That is wild. JohnDee.com

Um… as a snowmobiler I have looked at johndee’s forecast hoping that his forecast would be right but usually they are off. No idea what this storm will bring. But it does look like it shaking up to be a big one.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mojogunter wrote:</div>
    The last time we got more than 24″ that I can remember was the Halloween storm in 1991.

I did some searching because the Halloween 91 blizzard was the first time I had seen snow here as a kid. We had previously moved from the Bay Area.

These are the three biggest snowfall events since then (Twin Cities):
    Dec 10-11, 2010 : 17.1 inches (Metrodome roof collapse)
    April 13-16, 2018: 15.8 inches (spring blizzard)
    January 2-5, 2023: 15.1 inches (earlier this winter!)

The dec 2010 storm brought Eau Claire its record of 22″ but with the wind we had during that storm I often wonder how anyone could measure it.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I think the one big wild card in this storm is that the snow:water ratio is going to be very high in this storm. They’re predicting 15:1 or 18:1. That’ll only take a little more than an inch of water to make 20” of snow. The models have been crazy consistent with this one.

The ECMWF is predicting around 12” at a 10:1 ratio. That puts us at right around 20” if you use the 18:1. The GFS is predicting over 30” south of the metro by Friday.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I keep telling myself that the silver lining with these storms is that every snowflake or drop of rain helps with the drought. No part of the state is in extreme drought anymore, but a fair portion is still in moderate drought.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I keep telling myself that the silver lining with these storms is that every snowflake or drop of rain helps with the drought. No part of the state is in extreme drought anymore, but a fair portion is still in moderate drought.

thing is the ground will be froze yet so Alot of that moisture will run off, not all of it but most. Good for rivers and lakes!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

A lot of moisture will run off into lakes that are super low so runoff isn’t all bad.

CaptainMusky

Um… as a snowmobiler I have looked at johndee’s forecast hoping that his forecast would be right but usually they are off. No idea what this storm will bring. But it does look like it shaking up to be a big one.

That’s exactly why I started following him and I completely disagree he is far more accurate than meteorologists on TV. People have a tough time interpreting his maps and that’s not his fault.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Yikes!!

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20230220_143616_Facebook.jpg

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Just put together the NWS numbers for here in Shieldsville. 16 to 32 inches of snow this week. That will put a damper on all winter related activities.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Now that the numbers are being tossed about, my guess is no more than a foot of snow.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I bet Suzuki is loving this forecast for another couple weeks of snowmobile riding.

Aboxy17

The wind was pretty crazy tonight on the lake! It said the wind was 23 mph but I am guessing we had gusts up to 35 at the least. It started extremely fast at 5:00 and everyone was in a mad rush to get off the lake. I wanted to see what the Otter could take so I stuck it out till 6:30 I had to call it quits and pack up. Saw several flip-overs tumbling down the lake and even saw a small spear shack flip over and break.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

What’s the phone number for FEMA??

breakerbreaker
    Inactive

What’s the phone number for FEMA??

International in ewekrainia

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

The latest. They sure ain’t backing off!

Attachments:
    1. StormTotalSnow_Metro.png

2. StormTotalSnow_MPX.png

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

So now I heard there is supposed to be a “lull” from tomorrow morning until the evening. If there’s a sizable gap during the day, can they still refer to it as “one” snowfall? Maybe its still considered part of same system even if there is a period of time without any snow.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

we went from a winter weather watch, to a warning to a blizzard warning from about 6 pm last night to this morning when i looked up hear in the land of rocks and cows!!!!!!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Cub in Lakeville was packed yesterday afternoon

Jimmy Jones

So now I heard there is supposed to be a “lull” from tomorrow morning until the evening. If there’s a sizable gap during the day, can they still refer to it as “one” snowfall? Maybe its still considered part of same system even if there is a period of time without any snow.

Its the national weather service. They can call it whatever they’d like to. Down in this area they are calling it one system with two different waves of snowfall.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

thing is the ground will be froze yet so Alot of that moisture will run off, not all of it but most.

Saw a report on this topic recently. Here in the Metro, the frost line is not very deep. We have had a decent snow cover since mid December preventing a deep freeze. A lot of the recent melt and rain is going into the soil.

-J.

CaptainMusky

A buddy here at work had his sister die and he had to dig her grave last week. He said there was only 2 inches of frost. Weve had a tremendous snow pack all winter.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

It will miss us since I removed the 4”-5” of ice covering my driveway Monday. Just set up the chiropractor appointment.

At what point do you start to thing about removing the snow from your roof?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The good news is that this snow is supposed to be the very light fluffy version, so weight shouldn’t be an issue.

I am now seeing that its supposed to warm up again next week. Gonna be a whole lotta melting.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

It will miss us since I removed the 4”-5” of ice covering my driveway Monday. Just set up the chiropractor appointment.

If your roof is a enginereed truss you should never have to remove snow from your roof. The truss will support 5′ of snow before any problems. This is on a residential building. Obviously pole sheds are a complete different story. Unless you have an ice damn causing other damage, you will do more damage to your roof by trying to remove the snow. If your home has a hand framed roof that would be hard to know how much snow it would hold before a failure to many unknowns.

CaptainMusky

With how windy its supposed to be I dont expect to have to remove the snow from my roof. Perhaps the leading edges just to clear off the gutters.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 337 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.