Snowmageddon

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

There isnt much frost so when the melt starts it will soak in pretty quick which is good. The drought scenario we had last year should be gone. We were sitting pretty this time last year and then it went pear shaped.

that sounds like my girlish figure this winter!; doah rotflol

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m not sure if Red Wing ended up with a foot. Looked more like 7-8 inches. Same at the Harbor Bar Docks.
    Looks like a nice thaw this coming week…so we can be ready for the next snow storm of the century!

Gill, you have WAY more then what we received!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Gill, you have WAY more then what we received!

The deep snow in the pics are drifts. I’m estimating somewhere between 12”-15” total from the storm. I measured the snow on the rink at the end of the day after it snowed all day and it said 7” still after getting another 1-2”. Either it blew away or it settled and packed down.

GN – it was light and fluffy. The snowblower had no issues.

BN – sloppy wet crap is on tap for Monday.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Oh yeah .. doah I gotta take ther wife to the Ui of M Monday! crazy

OG Net_Man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Terry wrote:</div>
    Fairly long driveway here. It would have been a easier cleanup up if it was early in the season. I am starting to get pretty full where I normally push snow….

Exactly. And buried somewhere in there is previous snow that’s melted a little and re-frozen, making it rock hard but covered up by new fluffy stuff so before you know it you feel like you’re running into concrete.

This winter has been tougher for me in a rural, gravel road setting than any winter in recent memories because of the combination of the individual storms we’ve had this year. Obviously we’ve gotten higher than normal amounts of snow. Then mid-winter we had a minor warmup and the combination of that and almost an inch of rain froze a good chunk of the driveway into a sheet of ice that won’t be going away for awhile. Got stuck 3 times plowing yesterday just from spinning my wheels on ice.

Except the word rural and gravel road (well, maybe I would be considered semi-rural) these are exactly my experiences yesterday. Just have to be gentle around those old frozen edges. And a slight down hill angle, a little snow behind your blade and on ice makes for spinny spinny.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Glad everyone is safe and the storm had passed. The tires on my snow blower are 16” tall and this is in the middle of my driveway.

Attachments:
    1. 20230223_095404-scaled.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’ve blowing, shoveling and moving trailers since 8am.
    Took a break to grab a cup of coffee answer emails, text, vm’s and to see what-up on IDO.
    Got about an hour or so to finish up and then its game on. toast

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

then its game on.

Sounds like the FW cleared our drive way too. It’s the Lumberyard in Afton for Hamm’s tonight. Might have to bring along some Advil in case she whines too much. )

CaptainMusky

Bring it on EPG!!! I started already!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

What are the rules on measuring a storms snowfall? Whatever amount we got seems to be from the 3 different storms, Monday at least a 12 hour break Tueday at least a 12 hour break and then starting again Wednesday into Thursday. We going to add next Monday’s total to it as well? rotflol

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

What are the rules on measuring a storms snowfall?

Haha. I asked that very question like 4 pages ago, since there was a significant “lull” on Wednesday during the day…even the sun came out for a while too.

Someone then responded with “its the National Weather Service. They can do whatever they want to.”

Maybe if its part of the same “system?” Who the heck knows.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve blowing, shoveling and moving trailers since 8am.
    Took a break to grab a cup of coffee answer emails, text, vm’s and to see what-up on IDO.
    Got about an hour or so to finish up and then its game on. toast

I’m just starting 180 pounds of venison sticks. Game on. Beers will be flowing. As of today at 10am I had 72 hours in this week. Time to start drinking. Sorry if I get Lippy later on. Fair warning, it’ll be the booze not me

CaptainMusky

NWS reports 24 hour totals for records, etc. But they will also do “storm totals” that span beyond 24 hours. Its very confusing in how they do it and when they throw out a total for 24 hours and it doesnt align with their forecast which was for “storm totals” it makes people not trust them.
    We had over 13 inches from Monday through yesterday. Not sure exact total because my rain gauge exceeded its mechanical limits.

Jimmy Jones

Our noon news featured a fatality between an adult pedestrian and a snowplow. No other word on what happened. It apparently happened this morning so it must have been a clean-up detail. Most of our main streets are clean to the pavement. Side streets…. cleaned off but still have a glaze of snow.

CaptainMusky

How in the world does a pedestrian get hit by a plow?

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    How in the world does a pedestrian get hit by a plow?

And that I am waiting to hear.

plow was backing up and ran over the person i guess. sad deal for everyone involved

CaptainMusky

Oh man that sucks. Those dang things beep was the person deaf or elderly? That is awful!

Sharon
    Dakota County, MN

I’m just starting 180 pounds of venison sticks.

Ooooooh!!! It’s been WAY too long since I’ve had venison sticks!! mrgreen

Coletrain27

Oh man that sucks. Those dang things beep was the person deaf or elderly? That is awful!

not sure, thats all ive heard so far

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

When aren’t you lippy? whistling
    [/quote]

I was born with out a filter lol. Blame my mama, she taught me that

Jimmy Jones

She was 69. All city vehicles of that size are supposed to have the back-up alarms. I’m deaf without hearing aids and I can hear the racket. The accident happened well away from the downtown and it may be that the truck had just plowed around a corner and was going to back up to get a better shot at the curbing for another pass. Its hard to say, but if he just made a pass, how’d she get behind him so quick?

Like coletrain says, its just sad for everyone involved. Prayers to the woman’s family.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

BK you are one thoughtful man.I hope she appreciates the Advil.

Dan
    Southeast MN

That is said for everyone involved. Lord knows all those plow drivers were probably beyond overworked and exhausted this past week too.

Iowaboy1

Prayers for the family and the plow operator.
    Meanwhile in Wyoming…………..

Attachments:
    1. I-80-Wyoming.jpg

CaptainMusky

Yeah that plow driver isn’t going to sleep well after that. How gutting.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

A lovely mix of rain and sleet coming down here this morning. My driveway is a skating rink.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

It’s brutal out there this morning.

Viewing 30 posts - 301 through 330 (of 337 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.