Snowmageddon

• CaptainMusky

It will miss us since I removed the 4”-5” of ice covering my driveway Monday. Just set up the chiropractor appointment.

I have a ton of ice here too. We got nearly an inch of rain then some snow and it all froze to like a 2 inch mess. I was walking under my deck Friday night and my feet came out from under me and I slammed down on my back and cracked my head on the ground. Im amazed I didnt get a concussion or worse, but man am I sore!

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

If your roof is a enginereed truss you should never have to remove snow from your roof. The truss will support 5′ of snow before any problems.

1980 home with engineered trusses and load bearing wall in the middle. There are 2 4’ spots where no load bearing wall is. Both spots have large cracks in the ceiling sheetrock now. You would have never know I fixed them both last summer. I have a roof rack / shovel from my last house that has wheels on the bottom so you don’t hurt the shingles.

CaptainMusky

Yeah that type of rake will not damage your roof. Probably a good idea for you to remove some of that since you already have so much up there. With the rain we had that is now frozen into the snow on your roof making it much heavier than just snow.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

A lot of the recent melt has sunk in. The spring fed creek in my back yard that also gets road runoff also hasn’t been flowing much.

From the top 20 Twin Cities snowfalls:

1. 28.4 inches: 1991 October 31 – November 3 (Halloween Blizzard)

16. 14.3 inches: 1991 November 29 – 30 (Black Friday)

So in 2 snowfalls within 31 days there was 42.7 inches. Wow!!
    I bought my first snowblower the next winter. yay

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have a ton of ice here too. We got nearly an inch of rain then some snow and it all froze to like a 2 inch mess. I was walking under my deck Friday night and my feet came out from under me and I slammed down on my back and cracked my head on the ground. Im amazed I didnt get a concussion or worse, but man am I sore!

My wife watched the Amazon guy go down hard Monday before I was sent out. She was afraid her daily packages wouldn’t show up if I left the ice. That and it was so slick I almost took out my garage door when the back of my truck slid over.

CaptainMusky

A lot of the recent melt has sunk in. The spring fed creek in my back yard that also gets road runoff also hasn’t been flowing much.

From the top 20 Twin Cities snowfalls:

1. 28.4 inches: 1991 October 31 – November 3 (Halloween Blizzard)

16. 14.3 inches: 1991 November 29 – 30 (Black Friday)

So in 2 snowfalls within 31 days there was 42.7 inches. Wow!!
    I bought my first snowblower the next winter.

I remember them saying after the Halloween Blizzard the snow would be around all winter. I think we had a brown Christmas that year.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rodwork wrote:</div>
    It will miss us since I removed the 4”-5” of ice covering my driveway Monday. Just set up the chiropractor appointment.

At what point do you start to thing about removing the snow from your roof?

If your roof is a enginereed truss you should never have to remove snow from your roof. The truss will support 5′ of snow before any problems. This is on a residential building. Obviously pole sheds are a complete different story. Unless you have an ice damn causing other damage, you will do more damage to your roof by trying to remove the snow. If your home has a hand framed roof that would be hard to know how much snow it would hold before a failure to many unknowns.

Good points.

Removing snow from a residential shingled roof is often more damaging than it is worth to your shingles. If you have a substantial amount, be sure to use the roof rakes with small coated wheels. Don’t try to get it all off, rather just some. Scraping = bad.

If you have ice dams – they are not being caused by the snow. They are being caused by inadequate insulation or air leaks. Shoveling off your roof to prevent ice dams is going to mean you get to do it for every single inch of snow that sits up there to be remotely effective.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I snowblow paths in the backyard for my dogs. With the rain they are all ice. I’ve been wearing these:

Attachments:
    1. STABILicers.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

At what point do you start to thing about removing the snow from your roof?

Depends on if you have added weight like lifts hanging from the ceiling in the garage. Those are the things insurance companies love when your roof caves in.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If you have ice dams – they are not being caused by the snow. They are being caused by inadequate insulation or air leaks. Shoveling off your roof to prevent ice dams is going to mean you get to do it for every single inch of snow that sits up there to be remotely effective.
    [/quote]

And inadequate ventilation.
    I disagree with your statement that “every single inch of snow”.

JEREMY
    BP

National Weather Service has a frost depth map. Central and Southern MN is anywhere from 0-11 inches. Alot of the moisture should soak in. That being said I hope the MN river has a good flood to kill some weeds in the woods that have overgrown terribly with no real flood the lately.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

[/quote]

We have a house built in the 30’s so no soffits. No real air flow or ventilation so we can get ice dams. If I take the 2’ above the gutters off with the rake I have no issues with ice dams. But, you gotta get it off quick otherwise the snow hardens and you’re screwed.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Matt,
    Many factors involved in Ice Dams, that is one of them.
    Each home has a different scenario. You can have 2 identical homes on a cul-da-sac but they both have a different exposure to the sun. One gets ice damns, one doesn’t. I’ve seen it many times. Someone may keep there inside temp at 65, others at 75, etc…

Don’t get me going on truss energy heels. flame rotflol

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

[/quote]

True. Probably an over-generalization.

It just seems a lot of people have ice dams, then just submit to trying to shovel the edge of their roof constantly instead of truly evaluating what causes them. If I had to shovel the bottom few feet off the entire perimeter of my roof after every snowfall…I’d find a different plan. For many the different plan is to just say screw it and let the ice accumulate.

John Timm

I work for the USPS and white delivering Amazon on Presidents day I took one heck of a spill right in front of one of them door bell cameras. I’d like to see the footage on that fall, happened fast. Sore as heck yesterday and today and their first question was when I told them I just fell on icy concrete was did you get all the packages delivered!? Great employer the USPS is!

CaptainMusky

their first question was when I told them I just fell on icy concrete was did you get all the packages delivered!? Great employer the USPS is!

SOB that is really lame makes you really appreciate all the work you do NOT.

grpubl7
    Central WI

Yawn…this is nothing compared to the 32″ we got in middle of April a few years back (Central WI). It got real warm just prior, but no rains to bring up the worms. The Robins rode that warm air north and were all but decimated once the snow hit. Pretty sad actually. They either froze or starved to death.

grpubl7
    Central WI

In Oct of 1991 I was a sales rep covering WI, MN, ND & SD. I canceled all of my appointments around Halloween and MN got utterly blasted (like 28-31″). Central WI hardly saw a flake.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

started snowing here 10 minutes ago!!!!!!!!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I work for the USPS and white delivering Amazon on Presidents day I took one heck of a spill right in front of one of them door bell cameras. I’d like to see the footage on that fall, happened fast. Sore as heck yesterday and today and their first question was when I told them I just fell on icy concrete was did you get all the packages delivered!? Great employer the USPS is!

Falling on the ice is no joke. Especially on pavement. This is the time of year for it. I came really close to biting it yesterday.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I see that they are already backtracking the predictions for the Saint Cloud Area. When I looked this morning they said totals of 16-20. Now when I look its down to 8-13 Total. Not that I have any problem with it being less. Still going to be a mess with all the blowing and drifting

CaptainMusky

I see that they are already backtracking the predictions for the Saint Cloud Area. When I looked this morning they said totals of 16-20. Now when I look its down to 8-13 Total. Not that I have any problem with it being less. Still going to be a mess with all the blowing and drifting

The stuff I have been seeing hasnt changed a bit. Radio just said 12 to 23.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>

The stuff I have been seeing hasnt changed a bit. Radio just said 12 to 23.

The stuff I saw always showed Rochester North to the Cities being the area picking up the most. It doesn’t look like that has changed too much for the prediction. We will see if it comes to fruition or not.

CaptainMusky

The stuff I saw always showed Rochester North to the Cities being the area picking up the most. It doesn’t look like that has changed too much.

Right St Cloud is on the very Northern edge. Some dude on youtube said there could be places that get 36. Now I think that is getting a little overly optimistic.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Some dude on youtube said… grin

-J.

CaptainMusky

Love Frankie! I love how he pronounces Minneapolis.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The stuff I saw always showed Rochester North to the Cities being the area picking up the most. It doesn’t look like that has changed too much for the prediction. We will see if it comes to fruition or not.

Weather.com still shows most of the Metro area at 16-21″ total. They show Saint cloud right on the edge of the heavy snowfall line. It looks like this line keeps moving slightly more south with each update. Its all a guess at this point. Only time will tell what the total amount will end up being.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Love Frankie! I love how he pronounces Minneapolis.

I have a easier time understanding Teeter from Yellowstone that I do this guy, and that’s saying a lot. jester

CaptainMusky

I have a easier time understanding Teeter from Yellowstone that I do this guy, and that’s saying a lot.

OMG that is hilarious!

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 337 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.