Shot in the dark… need help picking a lake

• crappieguy

Getting my buddies sleeper out for a much deserved trip a week from today. Going mid-week to avoid the pressure. We’ve done Winnie this year. Haven’t been to LOTW in a couple years, got tired of the drive in relation to the decrease in fishing (albeit still better then other lakes). Have done Mille Lacs several times over the last few years and of course it’s very hit or miss. Haven’t done Leach in awhile… did Red early ice this year.

So the question is, if you could hit any lake mid week early Feb, where would you go? I don’t need anyone’s hot spots or hot bites, just looking for ideas. We’ve never done Devils but are intimidated just in not knowing how to even begin. Can we contact someone out there to have a spot plowed for us?

Doesn’t have to be a big lake either, although we probably have a better chance or a bigger lake recommendation over someone’s honey hole lol.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

What do you want to Target??? Geiger’s resort has roads out on Bowstring.

Know someone that was there last weekend, some perch crappies and lotz of snot rockets. No eyes though there in there.

Coletrain27

I got lots of spots I can tell you where the fishing sucks doah

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Bite windows are gonna be shorter in most areas that time of year but Id probably throw it in the Detroit Lakes area. Throw a dart at crappie/walleye lakes. Accesses are fine, plowed. Melissa, Sallie, Rush and Ottertail are all lakes that could keep a guy busy.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

The drive to LOTW has always been worth it to me. Fishing this time of winter can be downright awful sometimes but you can always find fish up there. Always the the chance for a trophy across multiple species, too.

I’d take the time and drive the ice road to the angle. Good fishing and a bit of a different adventure.

Coletrain27

I’d take the time and drive the ice road to the angle. Good fishing and a bit of a different adventure.

The ice road is done

crappieguy

We primarily target walleye but it’s been a long time since we’ve gone after panfish. Anything to keep us busy, a night bite is always appreciated but not necessary. We do enjoy the prospect of trying a new lake.

Nodakk

Lots of snow up north means your likely going to need to go out of a resort that plows a road. I would not recommend devils if you do not have a tracked machine. There are only two small plowed roads there that are not in the most productive spots

Nodakk

Bite windows are gonna be shorter in most areas that time of year but Id probably throw it in the Detroit Lakes area. Throw a dart at crappie/walleye lakes. Accesses are fine, plowed. Melissa, Sallie, Rush and Ottertail are all lakes that could keep a guy busy.

Tell me if I’m wrong but from the reports I’ve heard from that area, slush is a big issue this year. The roads that were plowed from public accesses are flooding and drifting in.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Red was pretty good for us three weeks ago. Only thing is we weren’t in a castle or sleeper and we were off the roads by about a mile. So that might change how the fishing is if you have to stick around the roads.

Good walleye numbers and a bunch of nice perch mixed in.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Just tossing out another idea for ya. Have you considered a destination trip out west? Fort Peck Lake has grown in popularity in the last few years. A few great reservoirs and mountain lakes in Colorado. Travel conditions, ice, snow depth among other things all need to be looked at in advance. Besides fishing a few species you may not regularly target, the scenery and trip will be very memorable. Love going through the passes, it never gets old!

Attachments:
    1. DSCN3801-scaled.jpg

2. DSCN3762-scaled.jpg

KP
    Hudson, WI

LOTW may be tough finding an opening right now at a resort on the weekends but you should be good mid week. That would be my vote

crappieguy

Anything happening in the Brainerd lakes area? Looking at Gull or North Long. A few people I’ve reached out to near Ottertail are giving it a rest until conditions improve. Ottertail Lake has about 20″ of snow and an intense snow pack I guess.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ganderpike wrote:</div>

Tell me if I’m wrong but from the reports I’ve heard from that area, slush is a big issue this year. The roads that were plowed from public accesses are flooding and drifting in.

In a normal year i would have also said the Detroit Lakes or Perham area. As of last week my buddy said there was still plenty of shush problems in some lakes in that area. Hopefully with some of the recent temps that will change soon. I cant understand how that slush pocket can keep from freezing up with some of the temps that area has had. I guess that snow is just that good of insulation

AK Guy

Anything happening in the Brainerd lakes area? Looking at Gull or North Long. A few people I’ve reached out to near Ottertail are giving it a rest until conditions improve. Ottertail Lake has about 20″ of snow and an intense snow pack I guess.

Probably more houses on the 371 bay than any where else in the Brainerd Lakes area. Quite a few roads plowed, but fishing is marginal. If you’re looking to fish the big lake on NLong, you better have a plow. Very few people fishing the big lake because of snow depth and slush.

michael keehr

Waubay south dakota. Have been out there quite a few times.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Red or low might be your best bet unless there is less snow somewhere in SD.

crappieguy

So after all the questions and research, we landed on Leech. Been quite a few years since we’ve fished it, and there seems to be pretty hardy access. Ottertail was our preferred but it’s too sketchy right now. Too many resorts have shut their roads down due to snow pack and slush.

So one last question for anyone familiar with Leech… Walker Bay or Traders?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

if it isnt too late, my buddy who guides in that area said Winnie has been on fire

MNdrifter

if it isnt too late, my buddy who guides in that area said Winnie has been on fire

Can confirm. Been a good bite. LOTS of small-medium perch, and small walleye 10-14”. Between one and four 20-26” walleyes thrown in per day, mostly during peak times. And several pout over night. Mostly fatheads, and smaller shiners hooked through the butt hole hanging upside down. We didn’t make it this weekend, but heard it was a little slower. Heading back up this coming Friday.

crappieguy

We are on leech now out of acorn, fishing Ivan’s Bay. We were up in Winnie Jan14 out of Nodak and it was a dead zone. Which made us shy away from it this weekend (aside from Detroit Lakes being unattainable).

We’re close enough to move, but we have some bent wheel axel issues that probably means the shack is staying here for a few weeks.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.