Removing Rod Tubes

• Dave Mulder

Anyone try taking out the center rod locker tubes. I had modified one of my previous boats to a wide open square storage area. Just curious as to whats underneath my deck. Thanks

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I keep on thinking about that and probably will do so on my 1825 Lund ProGuide next spring. The only thing that worries me is the metal frame around the rod tubes. I will have to call Lund and make sure Its OK to cut that out and not compromise the structural integrity. I then plan on using rod sleeves. It will give me a lot more room for longer rods. Right now the tubes only allow 4 rods over 6’6″ and 6 more under 6’6″. Almost all my rods are now 6’9″ and longer.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Lund Fisherman here. When you guys do that, do you concern yourself with the rods bouncing around randomly in the bottom of the boat, the front half of them anyways?

It would be different if there was say a wood box or something around the tubes, but that isn’t the case, you are just under the deck in with the framing and outer hull. I get the rod sleeves, but still.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Check out this post.
    http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229033

Thanks for the link. I found pics and instructions for ranger boats but this is the first one for Alumacraft. Might be a project for next winter.

Also got me to thinking, maybe I could just extend one or two of the tubes? Not sure what I would like more. The ability to get 6″ more to get to 8’6″ rod for musky or really long open storage.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.