Any reports/advice

• uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

A couple of us are planning to fish below the one the Alma dam tomorrow and would appreciate any reports on how you’ve in the past couple days and also info on a good bait shop in the area.

If the walleyes and saugers are going better at Red Wing or Dresbach those reports would be welcome too.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

we fished Alma last Saturday. the water temps were in the high 30’s and there were wind gusts up to 30-35 mile an hour.

needlses to say, we didn’t do very well. with this warmer weather, I wish we would have went this weekend instead of last. I think there will be fish for you to catch. I may go down there again myself.

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

Thanks Steve O.

Any techniques or spots for targeting early legal northern pike besides catching them incidentally while going for ‘eyes? By the way, we are releasing everything except maybe a meal of saugers.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

the early river pike Ive caught have always come from behind wing dams and other big current breaks up towards the dam… if I was going to fish them I would try tossing some pike type lures like #5 meps, and spinnerbaits… something you can work slow.. I would work the areas behind windams and on the inside bend just in front of them…..

we caught an incidental pike down there a couple of weeks ago behind the 1rst wingdam on pool 4….. I think it was on a fireball and minnow….

sydneymoham

hey,

i have been talking to several boats comming off the river here in alma and there is not to much to talk about….. there are some small fish to be cough but not many,,,,,, i guess the alma fishing float has been picking a few up here and there,,,, the night fishermen at the float have been getting some nicer fish,,,, there are about 15 to 20 boats out right now,,,,

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

Thanks for your replies. One of the most challenging things I’ve found about the river is keeping current with the changes and that’s difficult if you’re not there regularly. That’s what I really appreciate about the folks who frequent this site – most are willing to share most of what they know to make your trip more successful.

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

The fishing will hopefully be good by the weekend,what with water temps comming up and the water on the rise.Stop by and see Randy in the sport shop in the Cenex,across from the feed mill.He’ll have any supplies you need,as well as how the bite is doing.They have also recently got a nice supply of ringworms and super doo’s too!My personal favorite lure for pool 5 has been the Walleye Killer Jig.Typically 1/2 ounce or lighter.Best color for me has always been black/white(no longer available),blue/white,and chartruese.Most times this tipped with a river shiner or fathead just slays them.You can get on northerns by checking out the shallower,calmer flats.Straight below the float,called the wiggle waggle has done well in past years,as has the area right below the roller gates on the Alma side.If I were going for pike,i’d try a 3-4 inch minnow on a three way,or same minnow on a lindy style rig fished real slow.Remember,things change quickly this time of the year on the river.Be alert for dead heads no matter where you go,and whats happening today,may not be tomorrow.Good luck!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.