Panfish Cleaning – Pinbone Removal – Yes or No ?

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Just curious how many of you here remove the Pin Bones from Fillets when cleaning sunfish and Crappies. I have always taken a few extra seconds and removed them. Some of my friends say why do I bother waste time doing it ” They normally cook out anyway” The reason why I do it is because my Wife loves fried fish but hates it if she has to pick out bones. After cleaning a rather large batch of fish last night I got to rethinking if it is necessary. Just curious if others also take the time or not.

bigbeard

I take’em out, for the same reason as you!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Panfish has pinbones?

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

What are pinbones, and if you fillet a fish how do end up with any bones ?

john-o
    Hastings, MN

I always make sure to remove them.

Jake
    Western WI

YES! I got one lodged in my throat a few years back from a bluegill. Cost about 300$ to have the doctor reach back and pull it out. I always remove as many as I can find.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Are they the bones by the ribs that sometimes are left in the meat even after filleting around the rib cage? If yes, I sometimes do. You can feel the ends of them and grab them by your fingertips to pull them out.

At least that’s how I remember it, it’s been a few years since I filleted up some gills.

Bullheadfinder

I remove them as well. I agree that they will probably cook into nothing, but one bone will immediately make fried fish less appealing to most. Removing them only prolongs the next sip of beer between fillets by a few seconds. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices for the greater good.

jld
    Holmen

I take’em out, for the same reason as you!

X3….If mama ain’t happy, no one is happy whistling

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

What are pinbones, and if you fillet a fish how do end up with any bones ?

Panfish has pinbones?

Are they the bones by the ribs that sometimes are left in the meat even after filleting around the rib cage?

To answer everyone’s questions… Pin bones are the lateral line bones. They are very small bones. Most people just eat them and think others are crazy if they complain about it.

Personally I remove them anytime I fry fish. My kids and wife love fish and I want to keep it that way.

tswoboda

Are they the bones by the ribs that sometimes are left in the meat even after filleting around the rib cage? If yes, I sometimes do. You can feel the ends of them and grab them by your fingertips to pull them out.

At least that’s how I remember it, it’s been a few years since I filleted up some gills.

Yes… not pin bones.

I remove them depending on the size of fish and who’s eating them.

zooks

Personally I remove them anytime I fry fish. My kids and wife love fish and I want to keep it that way.

X2 for all fish I clean. I’d rather leave out a bit of meat to make sure my family still enjoys what we catch and cook together.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

appears i be odd man out. i dont. heck i have no problem picking y-bones outta fried pike. was just brought up that way!!! but……….now unless i am picklin them pike or smoking them i do take the y-bone outta pike……….and that gets pickled!!!

and yea its to keep momma happy!!!!!!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I consider myself very bluegill proficient and I have no idea what bones you are talking about? Apparently I fillet them out because I rarely have bones in my fillets.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

For sunnies, I’m back to the way I cleaned them as a kid. Scale em, gut em and cut the head off. Fry them up whole. Then pick the meat off the bones when eating them. Best part is the crunchy tails!

-J.

tswoboda

I consider myself very bluegill proficient and I have no idea what bones you are talking about? Apparently I fillet them out because I rarely have bones in my fillets.

The bones in panfish run right down the backbone. They’re only really noticable in larger panfish IMO. Fried they will mostly cook out but baked or grilled and I notice them more.

Pin bones found in walleye, bass, trout, etc run down the thickest part of the fillet.

Pin bones in blue, panfish bones in red.

Attachments:
    1. bluegill_fillets.gif

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

For sunnies, I’m back to the way I cleaned them as a kid. Scale em, gut em and cut the head off. Fry them up whole. Then pick the meat off the bones when eating them. Best part is the crunchy tails!

-J.

In my opinion this is the VERY best way to eat them hands down. Unfortunately my wife hates them this way(too much work for her) and says scaling them is too messy flame

I still make them for myself this way sometimes…

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>
    I consider myself very <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bluegill proficient and I have no idea what bones you are talking about? Apparently I fillet them out because I rarely have bones in my fillets.

The bones in panfish run right down the backbone. They’re only really noticable in larger <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>panfish IMO. Fried they will mostly cook out but baked or grilled and I notice them more.

Pin bones found in walleye, bass, trout, etc run down the thickest part of the fillet.

Pin bones in blue, <em class=”ido-tag-em”>panfish bones in red.

I was not sure if Pin Bones were the correct name. Was not sure what other name to refer to them as, But those are the ones I’m talking about

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>
    I consider myself very <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bluegill proficient and I have no idea what bones you are talking about? Apparently I fillet them out because I rarely have bones in my fillets.

The bones in panfish run right down the backbone. They’re only really noticable in larger <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>panfish IMO. Fried they will mostly cook out but baked or grilled and I notice them more.

Pin bones in blue, <em class=”ido-tag-em”>panfish bones in red.

ahhhhh. Now I know what you are talking about. And yes those are the ones that are sometime noticeable but I dont target them when cleaning. Learn something new every day!

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

tswoboda:

I respectfully disagree with your pic… Your red line should be the top of the rib cage, and is where the lateral/pin attach to the rib bones to stabilize the muscle tissue from the rib to the skin. The blue line may contain bones, but I have no idea what they may be called… In salmon in the restaurant, we actually use needle-nosed pliers to pull them before cooking the fillet of salmon.

Mark

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Well I guess I must take them out, if I feel any bone I remove it

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

I guess I must take them out, I remove any bones I feel

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

pinners

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>

-J.

In my opinion this is the VERY best way to eat them hands down. Unfortunately my wife hates them this way(too much work for her) and says scaling them is too messy flame

I still make them for myself this way sometimes…

i agree. i love whole cleaned skin on sunfish!!!!!! as for scaling i have the cyclone scaling pail. works great and worth the cost!!!

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Perch and walleyes I always do, sunfish and crappies, sometimes but usually leave them in. I also agree a scaled sunfish fried whole is probably my favorite, I actually keep the smaller ones when I’m out just for that reason. They fry up nice and crispy, 4 or 5 of those and some bread and butter is good eating!!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Dad used to make the whole sunfish too.

Aren’t there only like 3 pinbones on both sides? I seem to remember only pulling out 3. And they are short, like maybe 1/2 to 1/4 the length of the rib bones?

roger

to help with the mess of scaling sunfish I use a deeper pie plate and put water in it and scale the fish inside it. the water keeps the scales in the pan and when it gets too many I just dump it out and refill the pan till I get done. pretty easy way to keep things clean..

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Yes, it takes 2.8 seconds to remove them. One less bone to choke on.

Now if only removing the mud line on channel cats were as fast…

bob58

I have never removed the pin bones. The fish are cooked in 375 degree oil and the bones disappear.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.