Onboard Chargers

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m curious what people are having good luck with. One that maintains your batteries well and last a long time.

I’m looking for a 4 bank charger that’ll last more than two years (tounge in cheek). I bought a Minnkota MK 460 PC 3 years ago and 2 have failed. $550 charger that could be ruining my batteries.

Hoping that they replace this one under warranty again, I may be selling it before I ever install it.

pale ryder
    NULL

I have a 12 year old Duel-pro 10 amp x 4 banks that still work fine.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve had outstanding success with Guest chargers

Crappy Fisherman

Check out the NOCO Genius 40 amp. Onboard charger
    Solid state, completely water proof. 4-10 amp. Banks
    $299.00 on Amazon

I have the 3 bank. I got mine in 2012 and it works perfect. Small size, charges fast, won’t over charge. Will work with lead acid,gel, AGM.

fishingchallenged

I’ve had a ProMariner ProSport 20 for 14 years now. Very happy with it.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Thanks for the replies thus far. Seems the message is anything BUT Minnkota. doah

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I’ve been using the Minnkota 210-D for several years now maintaining two batteries with no problems.

Maybe I just jinxed myself shock

SR

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I had a dual bank that lasted 10 years. Apparently they can’t make a 4 bank.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

Dual Pro for me they are independent chargers so the unit can be rebuilt mine is a 3 bank sportsman I believe, at least 10 years old now
    Stan wave

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Minkota 3 bank 5 years old and still works perfect.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

MinnKota 3 bank going on 11 years and still works perfect.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I had a Dual Pro on my last boat. It was used when I got it, I used it several years before I sold the boat, and I never had an issue with it.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

ProMariner Prosport since 2011. great unit

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have this one in a single and dual and they work great. Going on 4 years on the single and 2 on the dual. 4 bank tender

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I really appreciate all the input. I’ll keep this thread close by in case I abandon the one I have.

After removing my existing charger I decided to test it on a battery I have in the garage and it seems to work fine now.

I have to decide if I’m going to reinstall it or call Minnkota and tell them it works intermittently.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

A little follow up.

After reinstalling my charger I had yet another bank fail to charge one trolling motor battery. This almost ruined a trip to Mille Lacs on Saturday. I ran them dead at the end of my trip. About 6-8 hours of use flame .

After messing around pulling the charger out and putting it back in so that I could charge 3 out of 4 batteries, I discovered that the fuse holder was making poor contact with the fuse. A quick pinch and I’m back in business.

For now…

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I just got a little 1.5 amp to charge and maintain my starting and accessory battery. Promariner i believe fully automatic on board. Question is do i keep it plugged in all the time or just a day or 2 before taking the boat out? It is a brand new top of the line battery so hopefully I can take care of it properly.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

First bit of advice is to read the manual for your charger. They should cover this question.

My Minnkota manual says that it can stay plugged in for long periods and will act as a maintainer and shut off when necessary.

MNSmallieGuy
    Minnesota

I have owned nothing but Dual Pro for over 20 years. I have NEVER had a malfunction. I have had all 3 bank 15 amp professional Ranger Series Chargers.

Dual Pro promotes their product as the only repairable battery charger on the market. I couldn’t comment on if that is true or not, haven’t had to test it out.

Way I look at it is Ranger trusts the Dual Pro product enough to include them as standard issue in their boats for as long as I can remember. I think that says something.

I think if you search “On Board Battery Charger problems” You will find far fewer Dual pro negativity.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Same here. I own 4 of them and they all work. The oldest is from 1999.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>

Same here. I own 4 of them and they all work. The oldest is from 1999.

I have a Guest that is in my pole barn for tending batteries and its been running for about 250 days a year since 1992

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.