New vehicle.

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Lady Got t boned in the buick yesterday. 2019 with 19k on it. Totaled. Now looking at a Tahoe or 4runner. More so the runner just because fully loaded is 17k less. Any one run one and how do you like it? Or any one have a 21 Tahoe and what are your initial thoughts. She is also interested in a traverse. But im not a fan.

Attachments:
    1. 20220102_124043-scaled.jpg

Charles

Impress that glass didn’t shatter,

4 Runner, going to go forever. So why not.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Have you looked at prices on Tahoe’s? I seriously looked at them 2 years ago and couldn’t believe how expensive they were. Always heard great things and they look great but I couldn’t wrap my mind around paying that much.

Know a few folks that own the 4Runner. Super capable and great vehicles. That’s the direction I would head.

I’ve bought 3 vehicles in the last 2 years so I stay on top of the market quite a bit..a lot of bad reviews on the new Traverse.

Hope everyone was ok in the crash.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The prices on the Tahoes are crazy, but that buick wasn’t cheap and it’s paid off. So will be a large lump of cash down on the next vehicle. Worst part is trying to talk her in to something that isn’t as fully loaded as the buick. That was the very top of the line, not a option missed in that thing. If it were up to me I’d buy a 2005 for cash and save the rest. But she likes her fancy vehicles

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

My FW picked up a 21′ Traverse in April. I wasn’t a huge fan either. That has changed now. Its a great ride. Nice git up & go! Comfy. She drove it to work the other week when we had over a foot of snow at my place, nothing was plowed except the freeway. She said she had no problems. Handles really nice in the snow. Thing drives like a dream. Then again, it probably should with 12,000 on the odometer. We were looking at a Tahoe, too, but decided we didn’t need the “full size SUV”.

CaptainMusky

A tahoe is a lot bigger than a 4 runner. My buddy has a 2020 Tahoe Premier which is the top of the line with the 6.2, 10 speed and AWD. Loaded to the gills. Absolutely loves it and it hauls ass! Raced his brother with a brand new F150 ecoboost and destroyed it. Plus they sound cool not like a lawnmower.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

A tahoe is a lot bigger than a 4 runner. My buddy has a 2020 Tahoe Premier which is the top of the line with the 6.2, 10 speed and AWD. Loaded to the gills. Absolutely loves it and it hauls ass! Raced his brother with a brand new F150 ecoboost and destroyed it. Plus they sound cool not like a lawnmower.

The premier is what she sent me today. The price tag is tough bullet to chew on. Just trying to see what insurance is going to pay out on the buick.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The premier is what she sent me today. The price tag is tough bullet to chew on. Just trying to see what insurance is going to pay out on the buick.

Don’t be delusional to think you get to pick it. You will be asked your opinion but thats about it.

Remember…..know when to pick your battles. wink

ThunderLund78

I like both but have always LOVED the looks of the 4-Runner. I can’t give you any first hand experience but yes, the 4-runner will be a little less room and they’re a rugged vehicle with stiffer suspension than a standard “family SUV,” from what I’m told. I have a couple of friends who own 4-runners and they both swear by them. Solid and very reliable. If I had the room for a trailer or didn’t have to worry about hauling the occasional dead deer or messy load, I’d trade my pick-up for a 4-Runner today.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I say the yota.
    Ive got a 13 sequoia and a 19 Camray.
    Lost a 14 Camary in a roof avalanch and I was VERY impressed with the value given by ins.co. The Toyota will hold its value far better than the Chev.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

Premium vehicles aren’t in our price range so I don’t have anything to add on those.
    But we have liked our Traverse so far, w/ 10k on it.
    Seats and ride are comfortable, 2nd row captain seats work great for a single kid, and we keep the 3rd row down to maximize the back for dogs.

I haven’t taken it baja’ing, but don’t plan to either.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

My wife has driven 4 Runners since 1998, (all bought new). They are built on the Tacoma frame so yes they are a bit stiffer than some SUV’s (the highlander is the grocery getter SUV of the lineup)
    She has a 2015 Limited right now with 115k and it has been good just like the other’s she has had. Toyota doesn’t have all of the latest gadgets but hers has everything for a comfortable drive/ride, and it has been great in the snow/shnit, very good in 4 WD. And little to none non-routine repairs on any of them.
    They do hold their value very well also, even before the recent used car price surge. Was at the dealer here in Duluth last month and saw a 2016 with 24k miles on it on the showroom floor with a ask price of $43000…….I about spit my Dew on the floor : )

CaptainMusky

With the prices of vehicles these days you should get a hefty check Id think. I sold my ’18 Silverado in Oct for $4k less than I bought it for 3 years ago.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I hope everyone was ok and that scratch in your truck is gone. My SIL picked up the Traverse RS mid-way thru the summer and likes it way better than her old suburban. I think mainly because of the size and ease of parking. CIL picked up the 4runner just before x-mas and the inside looked sharp. He said he likes it better than his Tahoe. Sorry, that is not much help.

Gregg Gunter

I test drove a Nissan Pathfinder after the snow last week. I put it in Snow mode and hit all the drifts and a unplowed parking lot. Wow, I couldn’t get it to spin out.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I’m a Toyota fan boy because I believe they offer the most reliable vehicle in the world and reliability is my number one, two, three and forth most important aspect of a car. But that’s me. It sounds like your girl might be more into the gadgets and fancy things in vehicles. If thats the case Toyota doesn’t offer much in that department so I would lean toward a Tahoe for her.

Have you looked at a Durango? I had an older model and I enjoyed the hemi

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

If you need the room, I’d go Sequoia over Tahoe 8 days a week. Otherwise, 4Runner, 110%.

Adam Steffes

Tahoe would be my vote but I have never really liked the toyota lineup. Agree they have a reliability reputation. I am also a bit different than your normal consumer in that I like some premium features but not others. For example I want leather, heated and cooled seats, heated wheel, cameras, screens on the dash etc, but I don’t want automated driver aids like lane departure, adaptive cruise, auto braking, etc. I also don’t want sunroof at all.

Toyota interior styling always seems dated to me on even their most modern machines. Either way it sounds like you should just let her pick!

mnfisherman18

Based on what you have said I would definitely look at a Lexus GX460. Right in between the 4-runner and tahoe – you get Toyota reliability with Lexus refinement. Has the 3rd row and a super reliable V8 motor. If I didn’t own a truck there is no doubt I would pick up a used 460 with about 60,000 miles on it.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

I’d avoid any GM product like the plague. We have a a half dozen or more 2016-2017 Silverado’s at my work and all but 1 (mine) has had its transmission replaced within 125-150K miles (3 have even had a 2nd tranny replaced). The one I drive is the only one that hasn’t been replaced yet, but I only have 100K on it, so I foresee a break down at some point this summer…

Sylvanboat

My vote is a vehicle that if she gets t-boned again, she walks away.

CaptainMusky

My vote is a vehicle that if she gets t-boned again, she walks away.

Most vehicles these days are pretty dang safe, but I agree, something with a full frame always seems to do better, but whatever that Buick was looked like it held up well and that for sure was a unibody.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Easy…go with the Tahoe.

Drop down to the RST trim package to lower your price and you can still get the 6.2L. You will get similar or even better mileage than the 4runner, will tow better than the 4runner and even your pickup, will accelerate substantially better, and still have more room.

toddrun

Buddy of mine traded a Taverse for a 4-Runner because of the advertised reliability, after having nuisance issues with the Traverse. Well, has had bigger problems with his 4-runner. All brands have issues, some more than others, but most today will treat you right if you treat them right. Go with which one makes her most happy. Happy wife, happy life.

By the way, my wife went from a Tahoe to a Acadia Denali and loves it, but misses the size of the Tahoe.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

Toyota hands down. Will run forever, is super capable, and the resale will still be there in 10 years. We just got a 2021 Tundra and the wife is up next. We are shopping 4 runners as we speak.

JEREMY
    BP

My old lady loves her 2019 Traverse. Hoping to replace it this spring i just hope there is some new ones around by then.

B-man

My wife will be finishing up her master’s this spring to become a nurse practitioner.

She’s due for a new car, and I told her she can buy anything she wants making that kind of money jester

I was surprised that she brought up a 4-Runner as her first choice. I’ve done a little research on them and like the looks.

She wants a compact or mid-size SUV, and I think it would fit the bill perfectly.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

If you’re gonna spend Tahoe money go drive a BMW X5….but fair warning, if she drives one you will buy it. My wife has one and it’s a great vehicle…won’t be as reliable as a Toyota but they are so much fun to drive. The AWD is amazing in the snow, too.

Someone mentioned the Tahoe being fast and fun to drive….not even comparable to the X5. They don’t tow that bad, either.

toddrun

I have been pricing new trucks out, and unless the supply starts to catch up with the demand, you may have to pay a premium also, over sticker.

Used to be GM, Ford, Dodge, you could get up to a 10% discount on new with a little haggling, where Toyota, Lexus, Honda, etc…, you paid full sticker. So I never listened to the “resale value” talk, because it wasn’t apples to apples.

But now, paying sticker for both, Toyota is likely a much better value.

By the way, Walser wanted a $2500 premium over sticker for a new GMC Diesel truck. Won’t buy from them….

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If you’re gonna spend Tahoe money go drive a BMW X5….but fair warning, if she drives one you will buy it. My wife has one and it’s a great vehicle…won’t be as reliable as a Toyota but they are so much fun to drive. The AWD is amazing in the snow, too.

Someone mentioned the Tahoe being fast and fun to drive….not even comparable to the X5. They don’t tow that bad, either.

No bmw space in my driveway. We will be pretty ok with out one of them. She is a shop manager for auto and autobody So she knows where to and not to pool her money.luckily the shop is always there and will also help guide toward a vehicle.
    We are looking at a Tahoe tomorrow

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.