New vehicle.

• Deuces

Both are quite different vehicles. I’m sure she’ll drive both and know which one is right.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

No bmw space in my driveway. We will be pretty ok with out one of them. She is a shop manager for auto and autobody So she knows where to and not to pool her money.luckily the shop is always there and will also help guide toward a vehicle.
    We are looking at a Tahoe tomorrow
    [/quote]

Hah! I thought you might say that. I didn’t want to be the only guy in America to own a BMW and a Ram though!

Sucks to have to buy a vehicle due to your circumstance but buying cars is too much fun.

Adam Steffes

My neighbor owns both a ram and a bmw suv…he is a complete moron though, which by the sound of the things you post on this forum does not describe you.

Deuces

I wont leave ya hangin Matt.

Next couple years at some point I’ll be grabbing a hopefully second gen roadster as a toy. Always been on my dream list. Dad had a manual 88 beamer coupe, very Bond car like, but drove that quite a bit in high school.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

My neighbor owns both a ram and a bmw suv…he is a complete moron though, which by the sound of the things you post on this forum does not describe you.

Well, don’t underestimate my ability to be a moron! But, I do think I’m an atypical BMW owner.

LabDaddy1

Toyota all the way. 4runners are awesome vehicles

mojogunter

What happened to the buy American crowd of yesterday? Probably because no one is telling us to buy American anymore so it must be okay to do so. (Sarcasm kind of)

B-man

What happened to the buy American crowd of yesterday? Probably because no one is telling us to buy American anymore so it must be okay to do so. (Sarcasm kind of)

You and I drive Mexican trucks jester

MX1825

BMW ,I would never own one living in rural America. Around here dealer is about the only option for service. They won’t look at it for anything for less than $1000. JMO.

Bearcat if spending Tahoe money I would get a suburban. Usually only a couple grand more. You get more room, better ride, tows better. Again JMO.

I own a 2019 Traverse with 57k on it. Other than maintenance have had 1 issue, an engine oil leak. Fixed under warranty. Just checked trip meter the last 17k miles it has averaged 25.7 mpg. I don’t tow with it and only drive 3 to 4 mph over posted speed limit.

Toyota has a very good reputation for being dependable. Rightly deserved, but most vehicles are good in this day and age.
    Fewer bells and whistles usually means less problems. Again JMO

mojogunter

I have no qualms about not buying American made vehicles. I just wonder where the chest pounding buy American people went. That is all I heard when I was a kid. I’m sure most are no longer around.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mojogunter wrote:</div>

You and I drive Mexican trucks jester

Pitter patter

Can’t help with the Tahoe question but we bought a new suburban and love it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Can’t help with the Tahoe question but we bought a new suburban and love it.

Would love a suburban but it’s to big for her everyday need

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

My thoughts on “what vehicle” when you have to buy something quickly would be “Whatever you can find.” Maybe it’s not that bad anymore, but man last summer I had 2 friends who were in “must buy” mode and there wasn’t nothin TO buy. One neighbor needed to get rid of his pickup because his wife had a hip injury and she could no longer get into the truck, one had an expensive SUV lease that he wanted to get out of. Good luck! There was nothing. They both had to buy compromise vehicles to ride out the shortage.

Maybe that’s out of date and inventory levels have improved? Bearcat, would love to hear what you’re finding as far as inventory and prices out there right now. Both Tahoe and 4Runners are super-popular even when inventory levels are normal, so are you actually finding much in stock to look at and what are prices like?

CaptainMusky

My thoughts on “what vehicle” when you have to buy something quickly would be “Whatever you can find.” Maybe it’s not that bad anymore, but man last summer I had 2 friends who were in “must buy” mode and there wasn’t nothin TO buy.

Its far worse now. My local GMC dealer has like 3 new GMCs in stock. Anything that comes in off transport is already sold. The Chevy dealer has two huge lots and one is completely empty while the other is half full and mostly with used vehicles.

Adam Steffes

The shortage is definitely real here. Gold buddy of mine had the valve train crap out on a 5.3 in a 2019 tahoe with 75k miles. He wanted a suburban anyway so he started the search. There were zero available to buy on any lot anywhere. The only way to buy one was to get on a list and pay a deposit and wait for whatever came in. Then it was “take whatever comes”, not what you actually want. Good luck! I know I am waiting a couple years minimum before looking for a replacement for my wifes truck.

I don’t want anything manufactured in covid times anyway because quality is spotty even with experienced people and normal supply chains…can’t imagine the garbage getting to customers once absenteeism went through the roof and factories started managing all the parts shortages. Deviations that would normally be rejected are being accepted, redesigns for stuff they can’t get, cars sitting months to get a few parts and sw installed etc. no thanks!

toddrun

I was told if I want to order a 1-ton diesel GM with my options, figure on 6-months before delivery. It was 3-month delivery when I checked in November.

CaptainMusky

I was told if I want to order a 1-ton diesel GM with my options, figure on 6-months before delivery. It was 3-month delivery when I checked in November.

I am planning to order a 22 GM with the redone interior. In Oct when I sold my 2018 I was told the order books would open on Dec 7. They still havent opened and no idea when. If it takes 6 months to order, I wont have a truck in time for our June Canada trip LOL.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

6 months is actually pretty good.

One of the guys I work with on my side job ordered a King Ranch top of the line F350 (I’m sure as a write off to record profits) and was told to not plan on seeing it for 12-14 months.

The last thing in the world I’d want to be buying right now is a brand new vehicle. Everyone needs and wants a vehicle. At least in the recreational world the boats, atvs, etc. aren’t a life necessity or high demand for every American like cars are.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We are starting to put eyes on stuff now.

Luckily I have a company truck and drive that everyday so my ram is parked besides weekends so she has that around and it doesn’t force us to buy something immediately. And the other insurance company will have a loaner for her in the next few days.
    As far as inventory, well there isn’t any any where. Probably buy private party if we go slightly used, if not depending what we lean on we may just buy brand new again.
    I wish it was my truck that totaled so I had a valid reason to upgrade.
    Might just buy her another 98 silverado and ride the storm out for a while that way

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Make she gets her neck and back checked out by a Doctor. There might be the money you need to buy a G Wagon.

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

I would say 4Runner. They last forever and are awesome vehicles. Toyotas are just as American as GM, but you didn’t have to bail out Toyota with your tax dollars.
    That being said, finding a new one might be a real feat.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Have you looked at the E-Suv’s? There’s quite a few options out there now, and I heard the heaters work great in the cold whistling

Brittman

For those of you that “Buy American” … do you mean American parts and American assembled or from a company that is based in the USA ?

There is a difference and many may be surprised that some foreign company’s vehicles actually are assembled in the USA with more USA-made parts.

All easy to determine via a few internet searches.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Its far worse now. My local GMC dealer has like 3 new GMCs in stock. Anything that comes in off transport is already sold. The Chevy dealer has two huge lots and one is completely empty while the other is half full and mostly with used vehicles.

That’s what I was thinking and hearing but didn’t know if that was accurate.

I had to go into the Ford stealership a few weeks ago to take Mrs. Grouse’s Lincoln in for service. It was basically a used car lot, they had clearly taken great pains to space out all the cars to make the lot look full, but it was all USED cars in the whole new car area as far as I could see.

I’ll be getting as many more years as I can out of my SUV. Just heard on the radio this morning that the average new car purchase price was up 31% from this time last year. Yikes.

CaptainMusky

For those of you that “Buy American” … do you mean American parts and American assembled or from a company that is based in the USA ?

I prefer to buy American based. The vast majority of all the electronic stuff is sourced from overseas, but keeping the profits here makes more sense to me. It irritates the crap out of me to see so much moving to Mexico however. Id rather they keep those jobs here, but with the unions the American plants have the rates are just priced out. You didnt see them drop the price of vehicles with the shift did ya? Labor is a fraction, but prices continue to go up.

CaptainMusky

Just heard on the radio this morning that the average new car purchase price was up 31% from this time last year. Yikes.

Yeah its ridiculous! You used to be able to get discounts of 10k plus off sticker. Now you are lucky to get anything off. Some dealers are selling for OVER sticker which is robbery IMO.
    The Chevy dealer in St Cloud had a used Corvette C8 with 500 miles on it. Brand new it went for like $70k, they had it listed for $115k!

404 ERROR
    MN

Take a look at a Kia Telluride or Hyundai Palisade. The warranty is next to impossible to beat. I was firmly against getting a Hyundai 2 years ago when my wife totaled her car. After owning one for 2 years, it’s been a good vehicle. The value is hard to beat and the options are impressive. However, I am still skeptical of long-term reliability. Not a big issue if you only plan to keep it during the warranty period (like me). Re-sale on everything is doo-doo (yet covid put the brakes on it), so I don’t care as much about it’s value when I’m ready to sell.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Just replace it with the same if she liked it.

Gregg Gunter

Kia Telluride is 8-10 months out and Nissan Pathfinder is buy what is allotted to the dealer. And buy it before it arrives.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.