New Topic-Random Info

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

This forum has gotten stale. No new topics so I started this one for fun.
    My random food info is my new favorite fish breading. I have been using it almost exclusively for about a year.

Attachments:
    1. Craigers-All-3-1.jpg

2. Craigers-All-3.jpg

ThunderLund78

This forum has gotten stale. No new topics so I started this one for fun.
    My random food info is my new favorite fish breading. I have been using it almost exclusively for about a year.

Like the idea! But you gotta give us more than that! ) What is this breading you speak of?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

You may have jumped on before I got the pic figured out. Its there now.
    Craiger’s. Scheels carries it. All three flavors are pretty similar. I buy all three every time I order. Its better for walleye than panfish when used straight but works either way. I cut it with Drakes last weekend for gills and it was right on. Drakes is my old stand by. Used to only be able to get it in Michigan where its made. I can find it at the grocery store by our cabin in Spooner.
    Drakes is a basic and very plain crispy mix. Great for small delicate filets or you can add your own spices to make it special.

Attachments:
    1. drakes.jpg

Dave maze
    Isanti

I’ve been using drakes and zaterain’s crispy southern for a while now. I used to be a crushed saltine guy, but these have really helped bring flavor to the standard fish fry.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

“zaterain’s crispy southern”

I want to try that. Available in stores or do I order it online?

tswoboda

Here’s a picture of my favorite fish breading… Yeah there’s no picture. For pan fried fish I’m all about going naked. No breading and a dash of Old Bay is where it’s at. The neat thing is it actually tastes and feels like fish, not breading.

ThunderLund78

Yup, I jumped in before the pic posted – I’m really glad you posted that and I’m happy that I can find Craiger’s at Scheels! I bought some at the Sportshow about 8 yrs ago as they guy used to have a booth there. I really liked it, but he never came back to the show so I had not bought in since. The reason it works is that he has powdered egg in the breading so you don’t need to mess with egg wash (if that’s your method). You bread the damp filet, let it sit a few minutes and then fry. Comes out very well-coated and crispy.

Dave maze
    Isanti

I order it on Amazon.

“zaterain’s crispy southern”

I want to try that. Available in stores or do I order it online?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Wonder what the breading is McDonalds uses on the Fillet-O-Fish? roll

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I just walk the munchies gauntlet at the grocery store……every one is fish breading. Try Flaming Hot Cheetos. Cheez-it crackers is a good one too.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I just walk the munchies gauntlet at the grocery store……every one is fish breading. Try Flaming Hot Cheetos. Cheez-it crackers is a good one too.

Flaming hots is a great idea.
    I always do Cajun shore lunch then add a hand full of crushed crackers, more Cajun, a couple shakes of slap your mama seasoning and fresh ground pepper.
    I love trying new breading but it is a deal breaker when you run in to some junk.

munchy
    NULL

My favorite!!! woot

Attachments:
    1. 5d3zom.jpg

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Dots pretzel crumbles are good.

Attachments:
    1. Dots-10oz-Packaging.428-1-1187x1187-1.jpg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Saw the dots the other day and thought that might be good. I usually use Louisiana brand the blue bag.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

them Dot’s pretzel are in original form are awesome to.

not sure if i have a favorite fish batter????? i like the orangeish Andy’s from fleet farm, fryin magic is OK, and i use alot of Charlies Gone Fishing batter. get it in the deer river area made by Charlie Worrath.

i avoid anything like bisquick, or a crushed cracker type batter ,especially with an egg or wet type dip. personally i think it absorbs to much grease.

JEREMY
    BP

them Dot’s pretzel are in original form are awesome to.

Try their version of cheetos they have more of a real cheddar flavor.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I love Dot’s Pretzel’s, I didn’t love their breading, it was pretty bland imo. I bought some of Craiger’s to try next time around, I’m sure my Dad (Craig aka Craiger) will get a kick out of it regardless of how good it is. I personally think the best is Shore Lunch Cajun, mixed with panko or corn flakes crumbs.

Craig Reiger

Yup, I jumped in before the pic posted – I’m really glad you posted that and I’m happy that I can find Craiger’s at Scheels! I bought some at the Sportshow about 8 yrs ago as they guy used to have a booth there. I really liked it, but he never came back to the show so I had not bought in since. The reason it works is that he has powdered egg in the breading so you don’t need to mess with egg wash (if that’s your method). You bread the damp filet, let it sit a few minutes and then fry. Comes out very well-coated and crispy.

I’m glad you were able to find us again and thank you for supporting us! What sport show did you see us at? We are starting to do some shows again. Some shows do not allow us to cook samples anymore, so unfortunately it doesn’t make sense for us to do them.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Cool. Welcome to the forum. You are still my go-to product for fish, pheasant and venison.

ThunderLund78

I’m glad you were able to find us again and thank you for supporting us! What sport show did you see us at? We are starting to do some shows again. Some shows do not allow us to cook samples anymore, so unfortunately it doesn’t make sense for us to do them.

It was the Progressive Northwest Sportshow at the Minneapolis Convention Center. Bought your breading and the Frying Saucer all at the same show and it’s been fried goodness ever since!

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I’ve been using Chef Roberts Cajun lately, easy and no need for a wash

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Random and not related to use for fish batter:

Dots pretzels in the blue bag (southwest) are not that great.

Dots pretzels in the red bag (original) are awesome.

Dots pretzels in the yellow bag (honey mustard) are life changing.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I will have to try this on my next batch. This sound amazing.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

I will have to try this on my next batch. This sound amazing.

I’ve never put them on fish. I just could eat them by the bag as a snack.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Random and not related to use for fish batter:

Wasabi Peas !

-J.

Attachments:
    1. wasabipeas.jpeg

ThunderLund78

Thread is kind of going in a different direction but this is RANDOM INFO. Lotta talk about Dot’s Pretzels. They were just bought by Hershey for a deal worth $1.2B. Not too shabby for something that started out of someone’s home kitchen in North Dakota in the mid 2000s. Great American story right there!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.