National Whisky Day

• Sharon
    SE Metro

Happy National Whisky Day to my fellow whisky drinkers! I’ve always liked whisky and recently my new favorite is Crown Royal Vanilla. The regular and apple are good, but the vanilla takes the cake! What are some of your guys’ favorites?

Attachments:
    1. 6b4a22ba3b07b23358563caef2d68510.jpg

2. bfe95629af4e8942b8b577a096748246.jpg

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The Jim Beam vanilla with Coke ain’t too bad either. waytogo

-J.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

I picked up a bottle of Bulleit barrel strength. It has a little more horsepower than I’m used to but it’s alright. You just have to remember what the proof is before pouring multiple cocktails. doah I think I’ll stick to the regular Bulleit in the future.

I just tapped into a Christmas present from a vendor in the UK (Macallan Irish Whisky). It’s pretty good but don’t have much to compare it too as this is the first scotch whisky that I’ve tried.

Attachments:
    1. Bulleit.jpg

2. Macallan.jpg

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Back in the day….

Attachments:
    1. kentucky-straight-bourbon-whiskey.png

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

My true love. Happy whiskey day!!

Attachments:
    1. jack_daniels__79730.1451544603.jpg

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I prefer Scotch but if whiskey is on the menu I like Johnny Walker Red or Jameson for sipping.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Support your local businesses

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Pendleton Whiskey is by far my favorite! When we’re at Gramps place and he says “Git the Good Stuff”, You best be sure not to grab anything other than Pendleton! Let er Buck!!

Attachments:
    1. Pendleton-let-er-buck.jpg

2. pendleton-jug.jpg

Dan
    Southeast MN

That vanilla whiskey is good. I believe it’s Jim Beam who also makes a syrup-flavored whiskey. That way when you wake up hungover the next day and burp it tastes like you had pancakes for breakfast.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

It may be sacrilege but…

Thanks to my 67 year old mother in law, every Saturday is Fireball Saturday.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Yes, very sacrilege! Now go sit in the corner for adding that to the GOOD whisky thread.

Full Disclosure: I may or may not have had a bad experience with Fireball. redface

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I prefer Scotch but if whiskey is on the menu I like Johnny Walker Red or Jameson for sipping.

Johnny Walker Black Label is awfully smooth. Easier going down than the Red.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

yeah ive been wanting to try the other labels but always cheap out. ill have to look into the cost on the others and give them a try. Thanks

big_g
    Isle, MN

Sharon, mix the Vanilla and Apple over ice… like a really good Apple Pie and oh so sneaky. doah waytogo grin

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

Pendleton Whiskey is by far my favorite! When we’re at Gramps place and he says “Git the Good Stuff”, You best be sure not to grab anything other than Pendleton! Let er Buck!!

My favorite Canadian whiskey. Hung above my bar.

Attachments:
    1. EB958487-3D36-4521-AC81-DFE26BB66A6E.jpeg

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I love Crown, but 40 Creek is also very good. You should give it a try if you like Canadians.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Sharon, Vanilla and Root beer been very popular by me… Apple and Cranberry juice

Mark

catmando
    wis

I have on the shelf, Jameson ,Irish mist , Jim beam ,Jim beam black. DK.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Sharon, mix the Vanilla and Apple over ice… like a really good Apple Pie and oh so sneaky

Sharon, Vanilla and Root beer been very popular by me… Apple and Cranberry juice
    Mark

These both sound like great ideas! Might have to try some of them. I usually drink my whisky straight if I’m at home, but if I’m out for an event or something I’ll add a little pop in there, just to keep it on the lighter side. Whisky tends to blur my filters. shock

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Now my mouth is watering. What time is it?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom Sawvell wrote:</div>

yeah ive been wanting to try the other labels but always cheap out. ill have to look into the cost on the others and give them a try. Thanks

Crappie….

Run down to your favorite bottle shop and ask if they have the little singles bottles and give whatever a try on the small side before committing to a full-sized, and expensive, bottle.

I did a scotch tasting one day and was amazed at how horse crap some of the scotch that costs big time actually tastes. I founbd the best tasting was somewhere on the less expensive side of the middle ground products. The Red Label and Black Label are both better than Jamisons….both are smooth. The black label though is smoooth, but twice the money. I’m not a big drinker of anything with alcohol so when I feel like a little nip of something I go get a little flight bottle and that scratches my itch.

As far as whiskey or bourbon goes, Ezra Brooks is a very affordable Straight Bourbon and is quite smooth for a 90 proof product. I bought a bottle to make bourbon sauce for a recipes a year ago and still have over half the bottle. A nip here and there and I’m fine.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom Sawvell wrote:</div>

Red label is rough! Black label is pretty good, a tiny bit of smoke if I remember right.

If you’re looking for absolute smoothness, Jameson 12 year is almost too smooth. A few ice cubes and I don’t think I’ve had a smoother whiskey. Redbreast makes a damn fine irish whiskey as well, if you’re into that sort of thing.

I’ve been favoring bourbons/rye over scotch lately though, a strong old fashioned hits the spot most days.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Whisky tends to blur my filters.

Huh. Like that tequila/clothes problem of song? Better just stick with pop. Or a bottle of my fine wine….that’ll mellow you out real nice.

?????

A bit off color but you get the idea anyway.

Attachments:
    1. Funny.jpg

Sharon
    SE Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Sharon M wrote:</div>
    Whisky tends to blur my filters.

Huh. Like that tequila/clothes problem of song? Better just stick with pop. Or a bottle of my fine wine….that’ll mellow you out real nice.

No no, not that bad… whistling
    LOL it’s usually that I don’t bite my tongue as well when I’ve enjoyed too much. You make wine? Did I know that! I love sweet red wines. )

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I also gifted a bottle of Blanton’s and a bottle of Col. EH Taylor rye this Christmas. Of course I got a taste of each and both were really good.

I really like the Evan Williams Single Barrel. For the price it cannot be beat.

Attachments:
    1. evan-williams-single-barrel-vintage-straight-bourbon-whiskey-kentucky-usa-10518093.jpg

2. B_original.png

3. Taylor.jpeg

fishingchallenged

Slaughter House is top notch.
    But since Scotch is officially a single malt whiskey… Balvenie Doublewood for sure.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

You make wine? Did I know that! I love sweet red wines.

Oh yes. Ma like a cork or two every now and again. My daughter has a taste for it too.

Last fall I made a concord/Frontenac grape blend that’s more of a rose than red, but nicely bodied and just a hint of zap to it. I also made a tart cherry, double fermented, that’s high octane in spite of being fairly sweet. Got a lot of body to it and in some ways is close to a port that hasn’t been fortified in any way. The cherry is class wine and the two bottles I have left are going to be pretty hard to pry out of my hands. lol

I have a daughter and family in rural Afton. Billy, the dogs and yourself should meet Carole and I there some time and I’d bring some vino for beverages. They have 6 acres, about 1 acre of which is fenced in dog yard.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

The only whiskey allowed to touch these lips…JK

But seriously, anyone ever fortunate to try Pappy?

Attachments:
    1. 1DB0A1CD-B680-4C86-AC73-FBCD573B9944.png

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Ever get to Texas try this. Smooth as silk!

Attachments:
    1. 20171212_125529.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.