Mr. Boley on Mille Lacs

• mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I have been out with a guide several times in years past. Only 1 time I didn’t have to send a deposit. The deposit time the family and I were at a resort on Leech. The resort owner lined it up because the 3 or 4 guides I wanted were booked 3 months in advance. I’ll never do that again. doah The ONLY time I felt I over paid for a guide.
    Mind you this was before gps, map chips, 12 in. screens etc.
    I wanted spots to fish. We fished 1 spot all day. He pointed 2 or 3 directions and I quote “There are rocks over there and more over there”. WTF???

Any guide that DIDN’T ask for a deposit I would not be hiring.

Tom’s youtube videos are some of the best.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Did you guys know that O.J. Simpson was a football player before he started killing people. One thing has nothing to do with the other. The thread is about fishing Mille Lacs not his personal character.

If you need something to argue about Biden picked a multi-racial women as a running mate. coffee

tim hurley

Authors, artists, founding fathers, Bill Cosby, many, Bill for sure shmucs! Ban their books, paintings, wow what would we be left with? That said if Tom wants to take it to the next level he should play by the rules a bit more ( next level would be TV for us its better the way it is he puts out way more content than if he were on TV)

Dan
    Southeast MN

Did you guys know that O.J. Simpson was a football player before he started killing people. One thing has nothing to do with the other. The thread is about fishing Mille Lacs not his personal character.
    If you need something to argue about Biden picked a multi-racial women as a running mate.

I can’t stop reading this post. All of it is funny.

Also thanks for the recommendation Dutch, I’ve watched at least 3 of his videos since your original post.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

If you need something to argue about Biden picked a multi-racial women as a running mate. coffee

So a South Asian African American woman? (Indian-American must not be politically correct but I also thought I saw her dad was born in Jamaica???).

Attachments:
    1. 96282CF7-EF09-4EE4-82A7-81364EEA1742.jpeg

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Sorry guys I was having an off day. Looks like I started something. I should have not made those comments and I do enjoy his show.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

So a South Asian African American woman? (Indian-American must not be politically correct but I also thought I saw her dad was born in Jamaica???).

In order to keep up with the quickly changing directions of this thread…

Wait, what? …I thought she was a Slovenian-American immigrant (not born in the U.S.) whose father was a part of the communist party before being brought here and handed American citizenship through the chain immigration policies.

Edit: Sorry, my mistake. That’s actually the first lady of our country, not Biden’s running mate. I get confused. whistling

Erik Swenson

Thread Outline:

I. Fishing Video posted
    a. Fast subject change to hooking mortality
    1. Equally fast devolves to Mille Lacs mgmt
    b. Turn taken towards slander (justified or not)
    1. Slander turns in to conjecture
    c. Subject briefly turns to Guides
    1. Quickly set straight
    d. Apology is offered and cooler heads start to prevail
    1. Someone just can’t take the peace…

II. Politics is new Thread Subject

jester

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Not sure what her position is on Tom Boley but my guess is doggy style. waytogo

Ripjiggen

I found the two videos of mille lacs to be “meh”

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>
    If you need something to argue about Biden picked a multi-racial women as a running mate.

I can’t stop reading this post. All of it is funny.

Also thanks for the recommendation Dutch, I’ve watched at least 3 of his videos since your original post.

Yes, many threads here have the potential to mutate into some entirely unrelated banter, but that’s okay with me.

I almost prefer that rather than everyone commenting using different words, but basically repeat the same message.

I find that many of these discussions are the virtual arena of gathering at the bar and BS’ing.
    A topic is started and after 15 minutes of jabbering, nobody can remember how the conversation began. And it really doesn’t matter, people are socializing and like to participate in the discussion whether it’s at the bar or in a virtual bubble.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I found the two videos of mille lacs to be “meh”

I kind of agree, they did not have near the suspense as the muskie through the ice episode I posted.

However, what did impress me with the second ML episode was how quickly Tom figured out the dispersal of fish.

Maybe everyone knew this except me, but he was the only one to come out and explain what was happening.

Mille Lacs is one of the most structure related lakes, we can all agree on that. Rock piles, reefs, primary breaks and mud flats. That is where everyone looks and now when the fishing has slowed, many conclude “if they’re not on this mud flat, they must be on another mud flat, or if not this reef, another reef”.

And so many anglers keep chasing around from this structure to that structure in hopes of finding them where they did in May and June.

My takeaway from Tom’s video was the walleyes have dispersed and are roaming around no-mans land in the basin.

If nothing else, this was valuable information (at least for me) for currently trying to fish the lake.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Andy, I think you nailed it on your last two posts here. This thread has been both entertaining and informative! Much like Tom’s videos.

deertracker

Since we are talking open basin trolling, has anyone heard from Brad Juaire lately? He was putting on classes on open basin trolling. I had to back out on my spot but he definetly has it dialed in.
    DT

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

This is awesome can’t stop reading it!

Ripjiggen

Trolling the basin is not a secret technique on Mille Lacs or other large bodies of water during mid to late summer.

As the bug hatches die down on the mud flats so do the bait fish that are attracted to them. The walleyes then go on the hunt for food. I found the bite last weekend to be in the open basins to the south and east of the mud itself. Caught some well off the flats but did much better in the wide open areas that I mentioned. The fish seem to be well fed out there as they were all chunky. Saw plenty of bait out there as well. Five colors of lead on regular 5 ft lead. 2.2-2.5mph. Lots of fish suspended at 20-25 ft. Some higher but I didn’t have enough rods to try and catch the higher fish with consistency.
    Andy anytime you want to troll some lead just give me a holler I could always use another line out the back. I usually only ask that you supply your own beer. If it is good beer I may ask to have one maybe two waytogo
    Sorry to derail the thread back to praising or bashing Tom. lol

tim hurley

Off structure fishing on ML? might sound ok right now while you are looking at your computer, they you get out there and think, this suckers Biiiiiig, no like really dang Biiiiiiiiiiiig!

Ripjiggen

Since we are talking open basin trolling, has anyone heard from Brad Juaire lately? He was putting on classes on open basin trolling. I had to back out on my spot but he definetly has it dialed in.
    DT

What is it you would like to know DT. I am no Brad Juaire or Tom Boley but I have been on a pretty consistent lead bite since the second opener.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

DT

Brad Juaire is an awesome guy and knows the basin bite. I know he is extremely busy! Not sure if there is another person out there who is as passionate for trolling crank baits as he is.

Ripjiggen

Off structure fishing on ML? might sound ok right now while you are looking at your computer, they you get out there and think, this suckers Biiiiiig, no like really dang Biiiiiiiiiiiig!

Well you can’t catch them at home on the computer. Big means more room to troll. Haven’t been within 1000 yards maybe more of another boat accept at the landing peace

tim hurley

2 good points Rip, like my elbow room too.

Ripjiggen

Just go on a charter boat and troll for salmon on Michigan. Then Mille Lacs trolling will be like fishing a pond. lol

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Trolling the basin is not a secret technique on Mille Lacs or other large bodies of water during mid to late summer.

As the bug hatches die down on the mud flats so do the bait fish that are attracted to them. The <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleyes then go on the hunt for food. I found the bite last weekend to be in the open basins to the south and east of the mud itself. Caught some well off the flats but did much better in the wide open areas that I mentioned. The fish seem to be well fed out there as they were all chunky. Saw plenty of bait out there as well. Five colors of lead on regular 5 ft lead. 2.2-2.5mph. Lots of fish suspended at 20-25 ft. Some higher but I didn’t have enough rods to try and catch the higher fish with consistency.
    Andy anytime you want to troll some lead just give me a holler I could always use another line out the back. I usually only ask that you supply your own beer. If it is good beer I may ask to have one maybe two waytogo
    Sorry to derail the thread back to praising or bashing Tom. lol

Well yes, I agree that trolling the open basin on Mille Lacs is not secret so to speak but you’re probably seeing like I am the majority of boats still camping on the flats and reefs.

It’s like it’s just drilled in for many to find fish is to gravitate to the structure. Either they are unaware of fish in the basin, or don’t have enough faith to believe they can catch them out there.

That’s why I thought Tom’s report was at least a timely reminder to look for fish off of the traditional spots.

Sounds like you have it dialed in pretty good. Me…not so much, almost like “muscle memory” I keep finding myself repeating the same pattern. Me the “walleyestudent” has a reputation to uphold. laugh

Sure, I’d enjoy some lessons in your boat. It gets lonely out there fishing on my own. Worse yet when I start losing arguments with myself. crazy

deertracker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>deertracker wrote:</div>
    DT

What is it you would like to know DT. I am no Brad Juaire or Tom Boley but I have been on a pretty consistent lead bite since the second opener.

Sorry, was just thinking out loud. Brad is a good dude who used to post here a lot. I’ve been on a good lead bite near Alexandria as well. Just wondering what he was up to. Thanks for offering to help though. waytogo
    DT

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Looks like he is still giving lessons through hunters point resort.

Open Basin Trolling Clinics

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I’ve been out on the flats yesterday and today for a little while. We caught a handful. Not a ton but never felt like it was bad. A fish or two every pass on a smaller flat.
    I am also curious to know more about the areas people look for in “the basin”.

Ripjiggen

Tom was fishing between flats. I have been fishing in open areas not by mud flats at all. Not much to look for except fish.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Looks like he is still giving lessons through hunters point resort.

I did some checking and I’m wondering if he’s still actively offering these?

If so, it seems mostly unknown now as I’ve heard nothing of them.

His last report on his website was June 2018.

His last post on this forum was 2013.

Curious… ???

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Andy, He is still doing trolling clinics. I did one a couple of years ago. I highly recommend it. Very good. Brad is a great guy and has an incredible program dialed in. I believe he is on Facebook. Give him a call or email at the link from tomr. He and I texted 2 weeks ago and he was doing a trolling clinic that day.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 94 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.