Kids and Inflatable PFDs

• B-man

Hey guys, I wanted to start a new thread about kids and inflatable PFDs to clear things up and to keep the thread about the missing men in the BWCA on track.

——————————–

Two facts that are 100% true:

Inflatable PFDs are approved for 16 and older.

Kids under 16 can legally wear an inflatable.

——————————————

Those two facts certainly seem contradictory at first glance…but let’s delve into it more.

Children 10 years old and over on inland water do not need to wear an approved PFD. They simply need to have an approved PFD “readily accessible”.

Children 13 years and older on the Great Lakes do not need to wear an approved PFD. They simply need to have an approved PFD “readily accessible”.

————————————–

There is nothing illegal or wrong with a kid WEARING an UNAPPROVED PFD — IF and only IF they have an APPROVED PFD “readily accessible”.

If it’s LEGAL for them to NOT wear a PFD at all, they certainly cannot get a ticket for wearing an unapproved inflatable PFD.

Full disclosure, Hank is currently 9 years old and in a pole barn, but is identifying as a 10 year old on an inland lake for the sake of demonstration mrgreen

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20240523_004926509.MP3-scaled.jpg

2. PXL_20240523_005007420.MP2_-1-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Makes sense if they have a regular pfd in the boat I guess I didn’t read it that way. Nor think that way. Thanks for the break down. I assumed not approved for 16 and under was just a standard no go. But that all makes sense.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Why Inflatables are not legal for kids and made in kid sizes is beyond ridiculous.
    What kid wants to sit in a life jacket on a 90 degree day in the sun???

JEREMY
    BP

They are made in kids sizes. My 8 & 6 year old daughters about 4 feet 55-60lbs each have one thats made for their size

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240523_110721_Gallery.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

They are made in kids sizes. My 8 & 6 year old daughters about 4 feet 55-60lbs each have one thats made for their size

That’s not legal until 10 years old correct ?

JEREMY
    BP

I dont know im confused. Sure shes not supposed to drive the boat either. Gonna put other life jackets back in and make them wear them when we are moving. I will let them wear the inflatable ones when anchored.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I dont know im confused. Sure shes not supposed to drive the boat either. Gonna put other life jackets back in and make them wear them when we are moving. I will let them wear the inflatable ones when anchored.

That’s about how I’m going to roll as well. She looks happy and safe, that’s the goal

mojogunter

On a side note: If an inflatable PFD is not an auto inflate PFD (has a cord to inflate and no water soluble washer to deploy when under water) it does not count as a PFD in your boat unless someone is wearing it. If it is an auto inflate PFD then whether you are wearing it or not, it does count as a PFD. As an example you you have a standard PFD vest and a inflatable that is not an auto inflate model in your front compartment. You have two people in the boat neither wearing a PFD you as the boat owner could receive a ticket.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If I have 2 auto inflatables in my boat and my son and I go fishing, he’s 13. And those 2 life jackets are all we have in my boat in a locker, that is legal correct.

This wouldn’t happen because he wears his no matter what in my boat. But I always carry those 2 and 2 regular pfd just because

dirtywater

I let my son start wearing the inflatable around 16. Basically I wasn’t gonna spend extra money on a child size but as soon as I knew the adult size inflatable was safe for his body size he got one. They are worn at all times so I don’t carry extra standard pfds in the boat. I do carry one extra inflatable just in case one of ours inflates, don’t want to deal with changing the cartridge and pill on the water

JEREMY
    BP

All the ones we have are auto.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.