Mr. Boley on Mille Lacs

• Paul D
    Roseville

Eyeguy, I actually ran into Shelby in Hayward earlier this year. When I asked her “Are you Shelby?” Her smile was ear to ear, said that I was the first person to ever recognize her. Nice person, we chatted for a bit about fishing, thanked me for talking with her, said she couldn’t wait to tell Tom that somebody recognized her. Onto Mr. Boley, I was able to apply his method to a Hayward area lake (one that he has filmed on) and good golly Miss Molly, it worked. Drove around until fish were located, line in the water, in 10 seconds had one on.

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Well said Mark….

Mango Tango

I can only speak on my own personal experiences with Tom which have not left a good taste. We hired him back in 2017 for a day on Round Lake after seeing his videos. He asked for a deposit which we thought was odd but did anyway. After that- never answered his phone, returned a text, or e-mail. Just took the deposit and never heard or saw him again.

Ask about him at the local baitshops or other area guides and they know the kind of person he is. If you don’t believe me, just look him up on Wisconsin circuit court access- he’s been caught hunting without a license, fishing with too many lines, guiding without a license, among many other crimes. I’m sure his videos are informative, that’s why we hired him in the first place. I just can’t support someone like that through providing another video view. Just my experience.

Beast

? just did a Wisconsin simple case search and found nothing, what was it found under?

Gitchi Gummi

I don’t have a dog in this fight but did a simple search and was able to verify the charges the guy above mentioned

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Register just to make that post..
    DT

Thought that was interesting myself, but I’ve heard those accusations before. I frequent the Hayward area lakes and have run into Tom a few different times at bars and such. Always been super pleasant. Not afraid to tell you where and how hes currently catching fish on the lake I specifically fish. He’s even offered to take me out on the boat a time or two, never took him up on it though. Kinda seems like his guiding gig has taken a back seat to this youtube stuff. Or maybe he just cant get his guiding license anymore.. don’t care either way. I’ve benefited big time from his youtube videos on multiple occasions.

Great Laker

In my opinion, those who make their living off of natural resources, such as fishing and hunting guides, should follow every rule in the regs book, and in some cases, be held to higher standards. I’ve always been a big fan of his YouTube videos but I’m majorly turned off by finding out he has been busted for fishing without a license and guiding without a license. I don’t care how informative your videos are, fish and game laws aren’t that hard to follow.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Yep, he used to be a musky guide. Used to be.

I think his pivot to YouTube is better for everyone.

Beast

Can’t say I know anything about him other than his youtube video’s, If what you guys say is true then maybe he changed his life around, hope he did.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I can only speak on my own personal experiences with Tom which have not left a good taste. We hired him back in 2017 for a day on Round Lake after seeing his videos. He asked for a deposit which we thought was odd but did anyway. After that- never answered his phone, returned a text, or e-mail. Just took the deposit and never heard or saw him again.

While I’ll certainly not excuse any other indiscretions he may have had, I’m sure there must be more to your story here.

First of all, it is mostly standard practice for guides to require a deposit.

Secondly, did you give him cash for your deposit?

I would think there’s more going on than him just arbitrarily keeping your money and not responding to your efforts to contact him.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mango Tango wrote:</div>

While I’ll certainly not excuse any other indiscretions he may have had, I’m sure there must be more to your story here.

I would think there’s more going on than him just arbitrarily keeping your money and not responding to your efforts to contact him.

Unfortunately it was a pattern, last second bail outs, going dark etc. Hope hes got his head on straight now, like I said his transition to YouTube is likely better for everyone.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Well this is sad to hear. I never met the guy and I did enjoy his videos. I made a comment to a buddy 4-5 weeks ago that I thought he was starting to look a little thin. Makes a guy wonder what is going on.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Well this is sad to hear. I never met the guy and I did enjoy his videos. I made a comment to a buddy 4-5 weeks ago that I thought he was starting to look a little thin. Makes a guy wonder what is going on.

Maybe he enjoys salads and other rabbit food for dinner

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Rodwork wrote:

And he might. I wouldn’t get that (this coming from a fat boy) but I am also not going to jump to any conclusions. I guess I should have not even made that comment. It is just when I saw his arm in the last video I watch it made me think of my Dad’s arm when he was sick with cancer.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    Rodwork wrote:

And he might. I wouldn’t get that (this coming from a fat boy) but I am also not going to jump to any conclusions. I guess I should have not even made that comment. It is just when I saw his arm in the last video I watch it made me think of my Dad’s arm when he was sick with cancer.

I was making a joke i hope you didn’t take nothing personally

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

It’s all good. His girlfriend in his new videos has a little bit of that vegan feel to her. So who knows.

greig john
    Inactive
    Minnesota

It’s all good. His girlfriend in his new videos has a little bit of that vegan feel to her. So who knows.

Oh please do explain this vegan feel.
    You don’t seem like an over-generalizing weirdo at all.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rodwork wrote:</div>

You would be the vegan kind. Thats what he meant chased

Erik Swenson

Cmon now adults…let’s tend to our own lines here eh. If you can claim never to have erred in your ways, you’re full of it. It’s especially disappointing to see members here stirring up the conjecture too. Understand if you have made a truthful statement about a direct interaction with the guy. He can’t hide from that, but it doesn’t mean he isn’t trying to be better. And, if not, then he won’t hide from that either. We are better than this, me included because I’ve been guilty too many times and proven wrong just as many…

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Besides when they are frying the fish they caught?

huntinforfish

Never heard any of the negative before, but regardless, definitely one of the best YouTube channels out there for information and tactics. Packs a lot of detail into quick videos. I like the seasonality of his videos as well. Basically walks you through his season with plenty of tips and tricks along the way.

greig john
    Inactive
    Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>greig john wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rodwork wrote:</div>

You would be the vegan kind. Thats what he meant chased

It’s just so nonsensical.
    (For whatever it’s worth, I eat 5 meals a day and they all contain meat or animal products and I’m skinnier than Boley.)
    Assumptions are stupid.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Wow this thread sure made a turn for the worse

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

In case I make it big some day…and to prevent assumptions…I Want you all to know I enjoy the meat. whistling

Beast

In case I make it big some day…and to prevent assumptions…I Want you all to know I enjoy the meat. whistling

Not even going to say it….. lol

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Cmon now adults…let’s tend to our own lines here eh. If you can claim never to have erred in your ways, you’re full of it. It’s especially disappointing to see members here stirring up the conjecture too. Understand if you have made a truthful statement about a direct interaction with the guy. He can’t hide from that, but it doesn’t mean he isn’t trying to be better. And, if not, then he won’t hide from that either. We are better than this, me included because I’ve been guilty too many times and proven wrong just as many…

I couldn’t agree more.
    Nobody is perfect, everyone has things happen in life that they aren’t proud of. Im not afraid to admit I’ve made a few poor decisions in my time.
    I’ve always enjoyed good videos, and hearing that he’s allegedly made mistakes in the past will not stop me from continuing to enjoy them in the future. He’s a great stick and I think anyone who calls theirselves an angler could learn something from him.

dairycat

I took a guided ice fishing trip with Tom two years ago. Could not ask for a better guide. He works his ass off, love’s to fish and it shows. We learned alot and he made it an awesome trip. He might have had a few hiccups back in the day, I’m not here to judge. But remember people can and do change. I’m hoping all the choir boys preaching on here about how perfect they are never f-up themselves… Keep up the great work Tom!!!

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mango Tango wrote:</div>

100% agree. By the way I recommend not calling me I require a deposit.

After I get to know you, maybe the third year? then I let the deposit slide. Other than that if you can’t send a deposit then you’re not going to get me to save a date for you.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 94 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.