Morels

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I was finding a decent collection in SE, Minnesota last week. The end of this week should be great with the recent heavy rains but now warming, steady weather pattern.

Unfortunately my morel season has been cut short due to a bout with poison ivy from clearing brush. I rarely get poison ivy (once every 5-6 years), but when I do – it’s spread everywhere and I end up on prednisone and all the nasty creams.

Happy Spring to me! hah

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I was finding a decent collection in SE, Minnesota last week. The end of this week should be great with the recent heavy rains but now warming, steady weather pattern.

Unfortunately my morel season has been cut short due to a bout with poison ivy from clearing brush. I rarely get poison ivy (once every 5-6 years), but when I do – it’s spread everywhere and I end up on prednisone and all the nasty creams.

Happy Spring to me! hah

Are you aware of a product called Tecnu? If not you should be. Good luck. I know the feeling all too well.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Happy Spring to me! hah

I was planning on heading down to Winona this weekend to do some shroomin’. My father in law keeps insisting it’s too early, would love to hear any other reports people have from down there. I will go by myself if I need to, but it’s much more fun if I can convince him to help me out :).

You guys think it’s worth the trip?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I have to agree with your FIL, Phil.

We’ve been out but morels have been elusive for us. Finding plenty of pheasant backs though. These seem fairly fresh with clean undersides but getting into the big area and may be tough. The smaller ones are definite eaters.

That coin, by the way, is a quarter.

Attachments:
    1. 18275155_416359915406141_2388959996038463958_n.jpg

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I see those pheasant backs out quite a bit while mushroom hunting but ive never taken any. what do you look for with them and how do you prepare them Tom if you don’t mind me asking?

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have a friend at work that likes those pheasant backs. I’ve never eaten them, but they do smell like watermelon, which is pretty cool!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I have a friend at work that likes those pheasant backs. I’ve never eaten them, but they do smell like watermelon, which is pretty cool!

thinking I might try to use some of these shrooms for soup broth.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Some of the ones in the picture are pretty large and may be tough for food already. The smaller ones should be fine. I was told that the underside of the lip at the edge of the cap should be very thin and that the honey-comb should be very creamy colored.

Cut the stem and pare the honey comb down with a paring knife, then just slice them and saute in butter. If they are going to be tough you’ll know when you slice them. Some people like to bake them and some like to roast or broil them. We’ll eat these tonight sautéed in butter and served along side a shrimp-fried rice.

of all the wild mushrooms we can safely eat I think the hen-of-the-woods or hen and chicks as they are sometimes called are my favorite. I found one last fall that gave up a total of 8 meals and everyone who shared the meals with us raved about the mushrooms. Morels aren’t bad and these aren’t bad….the hen/chicks are the best.

These pheasant backs are mild flavored.

MNdrifter

I’m assuming these are pheasant backs I found last night? My boy knocked the one off. Otherwise we didn’t pick them. I was going to ask what they were,but they look like yours Tom.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0198.jpg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Those are pheasant backs. I just prepped ours and the really large ones are tough. I pared about 1/8″ off the honey cob and then sliced the others. They are on the heat now.

The ones in your picture drifter are about prime time for the pan.

MNdrifter

Well, all weekend in the woods produced 9 wood ticks on me, 11 on my kids, and the my worst case of poison ivy I’ve ever had.
    Are they worth all this? I don’t know. I’ll let you know after the doctors apt tonight.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Well, all weekend in the woods produced 9 wood ticks on me, 11 on my kids, and the my worst case of poison ivy I’ve ever had.
    Are they worth all this? I don’t know. I’ll let you know after the doctors apt tonight.

I hear your frustration but it’s all part of being an outdoorsman. There may come a time when you don’t have a choice and you’ll be happy that you and yours have the skills to support yourself.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that it’s Monday and I just pulled into work and I have survivalism on the brain

buschman
    Pool 2

I always make sure to wear pants and a long sleeve shirt. It gets hot but worth it. Make sure to tuck your pants into your socks and keep your shirt tucked in. Spray everything waist down with bug juice. When I get home I strip down to my skibby’s and put new clothes on before my wife lets me back in the house. This helps a lot. I have been hit with lymes twice now so try to do everything I can to keep them at bay. This is not 100% but does keep them out of the house and off me for the most part.

I shave my head as well. Ticks were a big part of why I started. Between shed hunting, mushroom picking and other hobbies it is worth it if you ask me… Hope this helps if you guys do not do this already.

MNdrifter

Well. Got a steroid shot in the a$$, moon and script for prednisone for 16 days. I think I’m done with the morels for this year. All this fun and I didn’t even find one. Lol. The guys at wrk laughed at me for complaining all day about it until I rolled up my long sleeve and showed them. They’ve never seen it so bad. At the DR, the Dr was in the room and 3 nurses wanted to come in and see it. Either that or they were fighting over who got to stick me.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0199.jpg

riverruns
    Inactive

Well. Got a steroid shot in the a$$, moon and script for prednisone for 16 days. I think I’m done with the morels for this year. All this fun and I didn’t even find one. Lol. The guys at wrk laughed at me for complaining all day about it until I rolled up my long sleeve and showed them. They’ve never seen it so bad. At the DR, the Dr was in the room and 3 nurses wanted to come in and see it. Either that or they were fighting over who got to stick me.

riverruns
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MNdrifter wrote:</div>

That’s gotta suck! bawling

I can roll around in it and not be affected. toast I like not having to worry about it.

My son can get it pretty easy though. frown

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Shrooms were pretty good for a lot of people down this way this year and I got a few but some people hit the mother load. ticks? Everytime I’ve been out I’ve had atleast one on me. Walking the river bank a couple days ago fishing smallies and walleyes on the Wapsi river, I had one on my neck, normally I don’t get any walking the river bank, so this is a year that the ticks seem to be around more then normal.

Smallie fishing is excellent and pretty good right now for walleyes too 20″ and under. I’ve been wanting to do a small wade fishermens guide book on the Wapsi river. wading and floating and writing about a 100 mile stretch of this limestone bottom and rock strewn river, its pristine and one of those rivers that’s right out of Field and Stream, very nice little river and 75% is wadeable, missed a smallie that would have conservatively gone 6 to 7 pounds the other day and would have been my biggest, thinking about going after it with some 4″ chubs. Wade fishing is prime right now so go and get em, and if your not outside right now your missing alot!

tomhopkins
    waconia, mn

I started using a lint roller to remove ticks after walking through the woods. It is slick. Highly recommend trying.

buschman
    Pool 2

I went out for a walk last night and the morels are here in the east metro. They were just starting. I picked 10 for the pan and left about 20 behind that were pretty small yet.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I went out for a walk last night and the morels are here in the east metro. They were just starting. I picked 10 for the pan and left about 20 behind that were pretty small yet.

Nice! Thanks for the update.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Pretty good haul today

Attachments:
    1. 18466.jpeg

Viewing 21 posts - 31 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.