What broadhead for elk?

• whittsend

A friend of mine is elk hunting this year. Out of curiosity, what broadhead would you guys recommend for elk? Assume there are no legal issues; all broadheads (fixed, mechanical, etc) would be fair game to use on elk…

Thanks!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

95% of the time I would suggest using whatever he currently is! Going back to the theme of; Use what you are confident in!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

This is where I need to recommend a cut on contact head…like a Phantom, Steelforce, Razortrick etc…Most of the several western guides I know do NOT recommend Mechanical heads for Elk due to the much tougher hide, bones and attitude over a whitetail.

Here is a good article by Western Bowhunter

broadheads for Elk

another by Chuck Adams

broadheads

big_g
    Isle, MN

I use Steelforce…well that’s what I hiked around with for 6 days Then again, I use them for everything

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

That is not to say a bow capable of high KE with a flat shooting heavy arrow cannot dispatch an Elk with a Mech…but if a guy was getting 50-60 KE…he may think of a cut on contact.

les_welch

Slick Trick Mag 100’s is what I use. If the arrow spins with everything in alignment, they will fly just like field tips. Extremely sharp, fly great, and they are proven. Also very reasonably priced for a broadhead today. You can pick them up online for $22 a pack shipped.

Mike, sent you a pm on GLA, a couple days back.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

If I’m going elk hunting, I’m gonna probably go with a fixed head. I’d shoot whatever I could find that would fly well. The more KE the better for elk in my opinion.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.