Metro Area Hidden Gems

• Erek Rogstad
    Cottage Grove

I live in the metro area and often don’t have a whole day to hit the ice and have tried White Bear Lake and Bald Eagle in the past alot and have had alright luck. I’ve been doing some research online trying to find some smaller maybe not so pressured lakes or ponds to fish in the metro area. I know its along shot for someone to give up a decent spot but maybe in pointers of any good success for Crappies, Eyes or even some prehistoric Bluegills would be greatly appreciated. One angler to another I hope everyone has a successful Season and share some photos of giants being caught around the Metro.

Also anyone know much about Artic Armor are what Bibs are the most comfrotable and really warm all around bibs to ice fish in I’m in the market for some that are mobil and gonna last.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Dave Genz has a clip on YouTube of a northwest metro lake near 494 and 694 where he hit the pannies pretty hard but I don’t remember the lake name or if he even mentioned it. Look for that vid on YouTube.

Waconia, down where I live is always a good Crappie bite Hitting down in Wagners bay right now. Of course, limitless fun on Minnetonka and guys are finding success off Carson’s Bay.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’d think all the smaller lakes have panfish. IMO, it’d be more a matter of timing and finding the right spot to get into some bigger fish, just like anywhere else.

What really has interested me is the various ponds and ornamental lakes here in the metro. Many are legally accessible, but I wonder if anyone has ever put a line in.

My sister lives in a townhome development in the NE metro and it has a pond of about 5 acres in the middle. It’s surrounded by cattails, but it’s connected to another pond by a channel. From the defined weedline that’s visible in the summer, there must be some depth to it. Never seen anyone fish it, but I’ve always wondered what if someone actually put some fish in there at one time.

Grouse

Big2thpick
    NULL

Check the “Fishing in the Nieghborhoods” (FIN) program on the MN DNR website. They offer a lot of decent spots to try around the metro, many that I would have never considered.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

As far as bibs – Striker Ice with 150G of Thermadex have kept me warm in -40 Wind Chill for hours at tournaments.

150G is 5oz as a heads up because some manufacturers use oz vs grams

Nicholas Roy
    Maplewood, mn

went up to centerville lake the other weekend (just north of the cities by forest lake). First time ever being on the lake. Just like you I am new to the metro fishing seeing how I just officially moved there. We caught a meals worth of craps and a couple really nice gills, but other than that it was a little slow.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Dave Genz has a clip on YouTube of a northwest metro lake near 494 and 694 where he hit the pannies pretty hard but I don’t remember the lake name or if he even mentioned it. Look for that vid on YouTube.

Weaver maybe? I always wanted to hit that lake.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

(I hate it when I’m missing an inside joke) hah

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

I’ve been fishing the NE metro my entire life and each lake is unique with much better quality panfish than people believe there to be. With all of the available resources today like great lake maps and gps. There doesn’t seem to be many secrets anymore. Your best assets for catching quality fish will be time and mobility on the ice.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

OP your going to need a few more than zero posts to get any good intel via PM.
    And nobody is publicly posting their own metro hidden gems.
    Start drilling holes.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>timschmitz wrote:</div>
    Lol

Is that for Weaver? Are you saying I didn’t miss much?

No the laughing is because he’s asking publicly for a hidden gem. Can I please tell you the lakes I’ve kept a closely guarded secret for the last 25 years.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

lol, ahhh, gotcha. Be warned though, when I recommend a Lake, it’s most likely based on how many toilets are nearby!

Yoshi

Over the past few seasons, my gems have turned into duds and at times those duds are gems. There are a lot of factors that go into being successful. Almost every body of water has fish, it really comes down to; how willing are you to drill tons of holes and put in a good amount of work bouncing around.

I will say this, when watching some of the IDO episodes. It seems at times that every line in the water produces fish. But, if you look around in the background you can see a ton of holes, and shots of them bouncing from hole to hole to hole to hole to hole.

When I first got started, I would drive around lakes and if there were permanents or people fishing in general I would take a mental note, do my research of that body of water and go out there to drill holes and see..

Good luck!

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

I rewatched a Dave Genz video last night and he was doing a classic show on catching panfish. He mentioned he had his team of Clam guys out there drilling holes and looking for fish. He mentioned they had to of drilled over 200 before they really got on the fish. He’s right when he says, “The hard part ain’t catching them, the hard part is finding them”.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ll just take my “team” with me to scour the lake.

Nicholas Roy
    Maplewood, mn

I love drilling with my auger as much as the next guy, but 200 holes!! Thats almost a case of beer worth of work when it comes to ice fishing!

Nicholas Roy
    Maplewood, mn

Has anyone on here ever fish Lake Nokomis?

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Can I please tell you the lakes I’ve kept a closely guarded secret for the last 25 years.
    [/quote]

Yes Tim you can whistling And I live so far away I promise I wouldn’t even fish them !! LOL lol

iakid52
    Cedar Rapids, IA.

My son-in-law and family live across the street from St. Anthony High School in NE Minnyappless. I enjoy going up to see the kids and grandkids, but get restless after a while and need to get outside. Can anyone point me in the direction of a couple of nearby lakes I could get out on to drown some waxies when we come to visit.

Glenn, stuck in IA.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Medicine Lake in Plymouth/Golden Valley is a sure bet Glen. Only a 15 min drive from that area.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Can I please tell you the lakes I’ve kept a closely guarded secret for the last 25 years.

Yes Tim you can whistling And I live so far away I promise I wouldn’t even fish them !! LOL lol
    [/quote]

Ok since you live far away I’ll send some GPS #.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.