Marcum LX9 in shallow water

• Jim Burkhardt

I just bought a Marcum LX9 and used it a couple times in 5ft water. First time I have used a sonar unit .I put it in ice fishing mode and set the transducer 10″into water and set range to AUTO, sensitivity to 2 to pick up the teardrop and waxworm ,and target to 3.Color palette was RED/GREEN/YELLOW so soft bottom showed up green and yellow and bait green which I could see moving up and down on the flasher.I was expecting the fish to show up as red and separated as they came to the bait,but the green and yellow on bottom turned sporatic and rose to my green bait mark as they bit. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions as I am just learning to use a flasher?

Ryne Jackson
    Kansas

Jim, I own the LX-5i so I won’t be much help. Some of these guys will get you squared away though I’m sure. Here’s a place to start:

https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/ice_1318451/

There’s been a lot of talk about that issue. You may know already, but you can search the forums for key words in the search bar below “Recent Reports” on the middle left part of the forum screen.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Just a few suggestions….
    Open water mode.Set depth manual,6 color palette,Ducer at the top of the hole…

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I was running my 9 in 3.3 fow last night. My only issue is the narrow cone at that depth. Unless a fish is centered beneath the transducer, it just clips the edge of the cone

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.