Lightweight 1-Man Flipover Recommendation

• Dan
    Southeast MN

Sorry, I know this subject gets brought up a lot, and I have looked at other threads as well. For my specific situation, looking for a lightweight one-man flipover that will fit flasher & buddy heater. As I read over threads on this subject I’ve seen people who’ve said they have a nice shack but it’s a pain to lift into the bed of a truck. I’ve got a herniated disc in my lower back so that kind of lifting isn’t my favorite thing to do. So I’d like a shack where the sled will hold my gear, allow room when set up for the gear mentioned, but be light enough to drag back to my truck and lift into the bed by myself. I realize I may have to give up some insulation to keep it somewhat light.

Thanks folks.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Clam kenai 54#

Otter hideout 59#

Eskimo Evo1 52#

Shappell fx100 37#

Eskimo wide inferno 70#

I’d hop in each one if you can find em. Picking up obviously is important, but the room factor of being able to move around, reach around, seat placement, etc for the back is important as well. Have disc issues myself.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Sorry, I know this subject gets brought up a lot, and I have looked at other threads as well. For my specific situation, looking for a lightweight one-man flipover that will fit flasher & buddy heater. As I read over threads on this subject I’ve seen people who’ve said they have a nice shack but it’s a pain to lift into the bed of a truck. I’ve got a herniated disc in my lower back so that kind of lifting isn’t my favorite thing to do. So I’d like a shack where the sled will hold my gear, allow room when set up for the gear mentioned, but be light enough to drag back to my truck and lift into the bed by myself. I realize I may have to give up some insulation to keep it somewhat light.

Thanks folks.

I know that there are plenty of Clam non-fans now, but once upon a time they did make good quality competitively priced fish houses. If you go way back, they were perhaps the original mass produced portable fish house company. I still have a Fish Trap Scout from about 15 years ago when they were made with good quality. It is exactly what you are looking for. It easily fits flasher, heater, enough room for 2 holes and yes, load all necessary gear in the sled when collapsed. And yes…lightweight but not insulated. Small area heats fine with your buddy heater.

Not sure they make them the way they used to but I have decided to keep mine. It will be tested again this weekend on Mille Lacs. crazy

Attachments:
    1. trapscout.jpg

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Buy or make a ramp to load and unload. I usually take all my chit out to load my one man by myself.

If I had your back I’d use a winch and a ramp.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Buy or make a ramp to load and unload. I usually take all my chit out to load my one man by myself.

If I had your back I’d use a winch and a ramp.

That would be a good idea with a bad back. But for sure you unload the whole business before loading in the truck. The auger coming out first. Then buckets, heater, everything that what which add weight and fall upon the ground gets removed.

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

I have a Jason Mitchell clam one man flip over its only a few years old now and is already showing its wear and tear but i am hard on things so I’ve come to expect things like this , cracked the sled on a rock and it put a decent hole in the corner so now if i pull over water on the ice a small amount of seeps in and makes stuff just wet enough to remind me of my mistake every time out. Aside from that it does me well , It’s heavy enough i lift it in and out but usually have a 4×6 piece of panel in bed of truck makes loading and unloading it a breeze . Also have a older clam Yukon 2 man , That’s when the plywood really helps

Chris Schoblocher

I also have a bad back. I have the Clam Kenai Pro thermal stealth it is not bad to lift. It has enough room for my flasher and my buddy heater also. Also using a drag harness is much easier on the back.

Chris Schoblocher

Clam Kenai Pro thermal stealth is listed at 48# on their site.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

My dad and I each have Clam Kenai Thermals. With a mounted Buddy Heater inside, they’re super fun to use. I’ve pounded the heck out of mine and it’s in great shape after two full season plus.

Attachments:
    1. 95BB9595-A4B2-435A-97D5-45C97CD29D05.jpeg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Clam Kenai Pro thermal stealth is listed at 48# on their site.

I see what you’re saying, lots of sites have that. Initial one I looked at here has 54#. Scout is listed at 50#

If I owned a truck with a bed it would be no brainer to have a ramp and pulley system setup for shelter.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Geez just looking around online and Fleet Farm just dropped the price of the Eskimo Quick Flip 1 from $239.99 to $189.99. Anyone have any experience with this shelter? It seems like this isn’t one of the higher recommended ones but damn at that price it seems like a pretty good deal.

red89
    Hudson

Have a buddy that has a quick flip 1 and likes it. I looked up the weight and was surprised it was 52 pounds. Thought it would be lighter since there is not a lot to them with the loose folding seat.
    Had a clam kenai thermal and sold it. I don’t like how tall the sled is, the wind blows in bad on the sides since the poles are so far from the ground.
    I think my old frabill recon is about as light as you can get, but I almost never fish inside of it, just pull my gear around with it. Not enough room inside, and almost always hole hop, so not worth trying to heat up a shack when you’re gonna get up and move in a minute.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I have the Shappell FX100 and really like it……Not only is it light but the front is wider than the tub by a few inches each side giving you more room….It was also cheaper than the others….

Y2ba
    Michigan

I’ve had a Shappell Rover 1.0 for about 12 years now. I bought it because it was the lightest one man i could find. It’s treated me very well and has held up nicely. I even pulled it behind the snowmobile for a few years before i bought an otter, and it held up to the abuse. Whatever you decide to buy, definitely put the hyfax on it.

Besox

Picked up the cheaper Eskimo for the same reasons last year, perfect fit. Nice set up. With that said, I would look hard at the Evo style for a little more space.

packerjo

I agree the Shappell FX100 is your best bang for the dollar. Thicker cover than most and 44 in. wide. Nice to have that room. At 37lbs. its also light. I paid around $170 shipped with double discount and free ship. Sportsmans Guide.

stout93
    Becker MN

I was in the same position looking for a light 1 man flip. Did some research and

I chose the Shappell FX100. Comes highly recommended from a variety of forums.

It is light weight, but still kind of a pain lifting it into the bed of the truck, just due to the shape of it.

But I like it and happy with the purchase..

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

With that said, I would look hard at the Evo style for a little more space.

Reason I went with Evo 1 last year. Love the space.

Whatever shelter you get remember mid winter after enough trips the condensation inside and skirts may add another 5-10# in weight. If your threshold is that 40-60# mark perhaps the shappel would be better. Also the width to lift is a factor, I’m 6’1″ and the Evo is easily handled. If a guy was shorter, or didn’t have the arm length you get into that it’s not that heavy but awkward scenario which is just as dangerous.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

If I’m not mistaken those Eskimos come with a tiny foldable chair you are supposed to sit on. Nothing hurts my bad back more than a crummy chair with no support. Just food for thought.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Another idea years ago when I started ice fishingmy vehicle was a grand am it was more about small size than weight but I got a clam 2000 suitcase style house plastic floor with a canvas cover. Still like using it when fishing solo with how light it is and its mobile when I want to move I simply pull it with it setup and everything inside. Lighter then a flip over and the floor is convenient. Super light pull it out with it folded up and a longer second rope for a sled behind it with gear. One negative if you don’t bank it and the wind picks up get ready to go for a ride.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

The old man has an Eskimo wide one. One man shelter seems to like it and the widening feature is cool.

Captainpaddlefoot
    Green Bay

Had an EVO, would not recommend, sled was not so sturdy and all the weight on one end. A bear to load. I have a Shappell FX150, really happy with it. I have buddy heater, tackle bag, small cooler bag and battery box, plenty of room in the sled. Best portable I have had.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Captain you had the evo2 correct?

Edit: FX150(bench) and 150d(seat) comes in at 68# and 78#.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I really appreciate the recommendations everyone! Very good insight from all.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.