Launching a boat in flood stage water on the Mississippi

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I bet the city workers had a good laugh after hanging up the phone. They probably didn’t want to put the lives of first responders in danger to rescue bird watchers.

[/quote]

Ha ha ha ha ha rotflol

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I really don’t understand why you are all being so rude to someone that shares so much information and has so much experience. If you don’t want to take your boat out on the river is fine. If you suggest it’s not safe in your opinion is fine. But it shouldn’t be ok to rip on a guy for doing what he loves and is fully prepared for just because you won’t/ can’t. This is normally a pretty friendly board, I wish you would all keep it that way.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I really don’t understand why you are all being so rude to someone that shares so much information and has so much experience. If you don’t want to take your boat out on the river is fine. If you suggest it’s not safe in your opinion is fine. But it shouldn’t be ok to rip on a guy for doing what he loves and is fully prepared for just because you won’t/ can’t. This is normally a pretty friendly board, I wish you would all keep it that way.

I dont think any one was really being rude. Unless he just happened to get really soft. Which I doubt. Saying the guy who he chewed ass on probably laughed isnt a insult.

lundojam

It is true that folks who have experience with potentially dangerous things have a “truer” perspective than the folks who don’t have same same experience. For example, I was just out on the ice. It hasn’t even pulled from shore yet, but it has been warm during the day. My co-workers who have zero experience will tsk tsk tsk and warn me of the dangers, though they know nothing of the reality of the situation. If you are experienced, cautious, and thoughtful, you’ll be fine in most situations.

Think of the free climbing guy.

basseyes

If you can’t do it, know your limits. If you’ve done it and have the experience, I’d trust that person in dicey conditions vs bluebird, dead calm conditions with a newbie. Inexperience isn’t ok just because it’s nice out, just like crappy conditions with experience can be made tolerable and safe. With that said, we all tend to think we are 10′ tall and bullet proof at times. But most experienced guys, also know where the edge of their limits are and how to adjust accordingly. If I have to ask if it’s ok, I am way past my experience level.

I really don’t understand why you are all being so rude

I read recently the gene for rudeness and wimpy patheticism are interconnected somehow.. coffee

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Really…? bawling

Andy (FBRM) puts it all out there, he sets himself up…but that’s what he’s playing. His skin is thicker than yours?

Don’t worry, he’s a tough enough guy…he’ll man through it. applause

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Curious,

Of all responses on this thread.

How many have launched a boat on the Mississippi River in 2019

coffee

They actually closed it for liability reasons. We had a good 10 minute convo about the whole thing. They have no liability. But “you’d be surprised how many people try”.
    This was after they told me it was too shallow… But really it is excellent. Could launch a deep v with inboad, an there is zero current.

But… I’m sure not one of you once on this thread have launched in Prescott in 2019.

coffee

One of the biggest reasons are shore fisherman. Of which several are casting at this moment in waders.

Carry on kids

Did talk to the marina. They’d let me dock for a while

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I bet the city workers had a good laugh after hanging up the phone. They probably didn’t want to put the lives of first responders in danger to rescue bird watchers.

Keyboard. Wouldn’t say something so bold without one.

Nice bait fish in your Avatar.
    waytogo

Great Laker

I really don’t understand why you are all being so rude to someone that shares so much information and has so much experience.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he called anyone who doesn’t want to go out in these conditions a “wimp”. Pretty broad brush to be painting with.

pete the catfisherman
    Crawford county WI

I’m not sure how it is on pool 4 but down here on 9 it’s real nice. Getting on and off the river is a pain but seeing all the wood ducks while listening to Bob Uecker makes it all worthwhile!

dbright
    Cambridge

High fast water is not for everyone. I am with fbrm on being prepared and knowing your limits. Try boating the kettle river at 20k+ it will make the Mississippi at flood level look like a wading pool.

Bassn Dan

Like the old time river rats used to say about people that got themselves drowned doing something stupid.

“The turtles and catfish gotta eat too.”

I’ll ask again.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>
    Of all responses on this thread.

LOL Maybe throw a please in, that might get more responses to your inquiry…

I won’t rat anyone out, but I know a few posters have launched since the new year. Maybe you can count second hand accounts? I saw an eagle down on pool2, but I was up on the bike trail wussin around. I suppose they don’t count for eagle sightings though. Carry on.

Gitchi Gummi

You don’t need to stick your hand in the fire to know that its not a good idea.

Mr Big Eves
    Prior Lake, MN

I don’t say this often, but the wife may be right. Women bicker and argue with each other at a young age, once they mature they tend do less bickering with each other. Her theory is the opposite for men, hmmm….

At what age do I need to start yelling at the kids for being on my lawn?

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I don’t say this often, but the wife may be right. Women bicker and argue with each other at a young age, once they mature they tend do less bickering with each other. Her theory is the opposite for men, hmmm….

At what age do I need to start yelling at the kids for being on my lawn?

That depends, is the lawn flooded?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>

You don’t need to stick your hand in the fire to know that its not a good idea.

So you would relate all river conditions in 2019 to sticking your hand into fire.

I’ve boated over 1000 miles this year alone, so forgive me if I cannot grasp your perspective.

I’ll agree river is too dangerous, ALL THE TIME for many people. You guys are being personal… And telling ME. Therefore, I’m calling you out. All ya

Smellson

Lol, dude you’re the one that tried to make it all about YOU! This thread started out with people giving the original poster information and suggestions. You came in beating your chest and calling people “wimps.”

And for the record, yes, I have also been out on the river this year )

Gitchi Gummi

Lol, dude you’re the one that tried to make it all about YOU! This thread started out with people giving the original poster information and suggestions. You came in beating your chest and calling people “wimps.”

And for the record, yes, I have also been out on the river this year )

Attachments:
    1. 2019-03-29_12-26-12.jpg

Gitchi Gummi

I’ve boated over 1000 miles this year alone, so forgive me if I cannot grasp your perspective.

over 1,000 times in 87 days… so you “boat” over 11 times per day? applause

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

1000 miles = 1000 times?????? Your math does not quite add up…

basseyes

March is such a fun month.

Judging from this thread and others, cabin fever is spreading and highly contagious.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Enter the river at your own risk…if you can find a place to launch.

/thread.

Viewing 29 posts - 61 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Launching a boat in flood stage water on the Mississippi’ is closed to new replies.