Launching a boat in flood stage water on the Mississippi

NULL

If i can find a launch that is not underwater i might try fishing the Mississippi River this weekend. Does anybody have any tips/advice/what to look out for when launching a boat in high water? Any info is appreciated.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

What is the upside of fishing flooded debris strewn water that has the potential to go bad?

I just don’t understand.

Smellson

Not trying to be a smarta** or rude, but if you need to ask for help on how to launch in high water, you definitely should not be trying to get out. I’ve been fishing rivers for as long as I can remember and there is zero part of me that is trying to get out right now. Fishing is going to be terrible, very high likelihood of hitting something and that water is very cold and fast. Just no upside. Give it a couple weeks to settle down. Gonna be a boring couple weeks for a lot of the river guys.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

What is the upside of fishing flooded debris strewn water that has the potential to go bad?

I just don’t understand.

Aren’t you a lake guy?

Realize what the current is today, is considered normal in other areas of the Mississippi. MN wimps

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

If i can find a launch that is not underwater i might try fishing the Mississippi River this weekend. Does anybody have any tips/advice/what to look out for when launching a boat in high water? Any info is appreciated.

My advice.
    Launching will be the least of your worries.
    You had better have a back up plan for something going wrong. I prefer a backup to a backup because conditions like these ain’t nobody going to save your ass.

Imo a kicker is a must have.

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20190326191237626.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I don’t know of any launch that is open on upper Pool 4.

Water is at 14.1 feet and rising.

The fish will be there when it drops to a safe level.
    Below is the WI back channel ramp with one photo taken March 25, Monday and the other taken yesterday March 26th.

The Harbor Bar is closed.
    The Woodshed is closed.
    Mr Sippi’s is closed
    The Wi Back Channel is closed
    Coliville and Bay Point is closed
    The Red Wing Marina is closed.

I’m not saying the river is closed but it’s pretty hard to get to it until it comes to us. coffee

Attachments:
    1. Harbor-Bar.jpg

2. Back-channel-March-25th.jpg

3. WI-Back-Channel.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Buddy of mine is a deputy. His job is rescuing people who get themselves in trouble. Some he gets out alive, some not so lucky. Being a Wisconsin guy I understand you can walk on water but for the mere mortals of the world caution might be considered.

So ya, consider me a Minnesota wimp.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ll classify myself in the same category as you Dutch.

I watched a whole tree go through Red Wing at over 5 mph yesterday. I wouldn’t be surprised if it hit a dock that it wouldn’t take it out much less a fishing boat.

True the water is faster and normally faster on the MO River and people fish it all the time. I feel it’s like the first snow fall, most people just aren’t use to water and debris moving that fast.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I would be more worried about reloading the boat then launching

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Just find an old road and dunk her in! Joking aside, it’s all the debris, sunken cans, deadheads, icebergs rather than the current that’s the issue. Great time to take up some other type of fishing for awhile- may even needlepoint…

404 ERROR
    MN

Another wimp here! wave

Let it drop…it’s not necessarily the flow that’s dangerous, it’s the high water sweeping the flooded shoreline and dragging debris downstream WITH that flow…

zooks

Another wimp here! wave

Let it drop…it’s not necessarily the flow that’s dangerous, it’s the high water sweeping the flooded shoreline and dragging debris downstream WITH that flow…

X2, it’s the debris that makes me pucker in these conditions and I’ll leave it alone until everything settles down, whenever that might be.

blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

I just don’t understand.

Aren’t you a lake guy?

Realize what the current is today, is considered normal in other areas of the Mississippi. MN wimps

Since I too am a lake guy and MN wimp like Dutch would you care to answer his question and help him/us understand why someone would feel the need to go fishing on a river with such conditions? Especially after your next post which you said that you should have a backup plan to a backup plan because no one will come save you. What’s the point in going in such conditions?

mike-west
    Amery, WI

What’s the point in going in such conditions?

Maybe to prove you’re not a MN Wimp. Other than that, I have no idea.

Me, I too am a Wimp, just a WI one. Let it settle! You’ll be saving yourself and boat alot of possible grief and mis fortune.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

I just don’t understand.

Aren’t you a lake guy?

Spoken like an incident waiting to happen doah

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Lot’s of good advice offered by experienced river fisherman
    Plain and simple, Just don’t do it, it’s not safe.
    coffee

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I don’t think there is anything wrong with going out in these conditions if you are experienced and prepared for it like fbrm, I think he is trying to say the same thing. If you are prepared and experienced, go for it. If not, you should be aware of the potential risks.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with going out in these conditions if you are experienced and prepared for it like fbrm, I think he is trying to say the same thing. If you are prepared and experienced, go for it. If not, you should be aware of the potential risks.

I agree, it’s his personal decision. However I would be 100% against any kind of water rescue. You want to gamble…..go all in.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

You need to go look at the river yourself. Nobody knows what your limits are.
    Years ago we towed our boat down to P2 this time of year. One look at the river from the shore and there was no doubt whatsoever. We left.

I know from that experience that the advice here today is spot on and I wouldn’t even consider it.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

People get rescued intentionally doing reckless stuff all of the time. Not sure this falls in that category unless you are unprepared. For every prepared person there are probably 10 unprepared. There will always be stupid people. Can’t change that can only try and help them.

Deuces

Lots of other knowledgeable river folk on here who thankfully will right such wrong, and IMO completely irresponsible advice.

Mother nature doesn’t care how big your balls are and how many backup plans you have. I pray we don’t see you in a headline one day fish blood. I truly mean that, you are a valuable asset to the fishing community but your comments make no sense.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

There are old pilots.
    There are bold pilots.
    There are no old, bold pilots.

Yet another situation where The Bard had it right. The better part of valor is discretion.

Grouse

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

would you care to answer his question and help him/us understand why someone would feel the need to go fishing on a river with such conditions? Especially after your next post which you said that you should have a backup plan to a backup plan because no one will come save you. What’s the point in going in such conditions?

I was out yesterday in the highest water conditions I’ve seen on the sippi. I enjoyed every minute of it. Found myself in the back Waters of the back Waters. Enjoying the scenery more than anything else!!!

I spent 5 minutes underneath a paragon falcon. Then I watched it catch a bird for a meal, then I watched it share it with the other falcon. These are things you don’t get to see if you go to carpenters nature center vs ma nature.

I enjoy the poop out of being on the water and fast high water has always intrigued me.

Coldest days of the winter aren’t great fishing days, but I’ll see more eagles in a single day than many will see all year, in blackbird sized groupings.

I am also in charge of my safety on the river. I’ll compare it to driving through the cities, where I am only partially capable of controlling the incidents than can and do occur very often. You won’t catch me on a light traffic or heavy traffic day in the cities for that reason alone.

Back up plans?
    Kicker motor.
    Trolling motor.
    Anchor.
    PLAN AHEAD AND PLAN ON PROBLEMS AND PLAN A WAY FOR THEM TO BE NON SERIOUS.

Safety: using my knowledge of SI to avoid trouble even then I’m on new territory. Was in a flooded Creek yesterday, couldn’t tell where the creek made the bend. I spent 5 minutes deciding on how to proceed, if at all. Used SI to confirm there was a channel, proceeded under complete control slowly to verify what I saw on my SI as I slid into the bend. I’m in no hurry. Two motors in the water as time to react to problems was very short.

I have experience reading surface currents that most will never gather. I’ve sat in Brad Durick’s boat, read the surface currents, and explained exactly what’s below the water… You get that from staring at the water in conjunction with SI for many many hours under many many conditions.

2003-2009 I was on every single Minnesota river crest in a boat near Mankato. A stretch of river that makes the Mississippi look like a park, park map and office included with bathrooms.

Exposure to risk helps you see risk before it is too late to react.
    Example: I want to go through that cut, but if anything goes wrong I’ll have 30 seconds before the boat is pushed up against those trees and if that happens there’s very little chance I’ll be strong enough to get out of that situation. Can you start your kicker in that time? Should it already be running and deployed. Can your trolling motor get you out of that jam, is it plugged in, should it be deployed. Will an anchor be necessary, how ready is that?

These things go through my head and I put safety measures in place so I’m going home safe, so my boat isn’t broken during the busiest time of the repair season, etc. Many times If I don’t have a second or third safety backup in these risky scenarios I’ll back out of that choice.

So is high water for everyone? poop-lakes are too much for some people!!!

I’ll venture to guess more people are comfortable in high traffic cities roads than in a boat on a calm day. Not me. I can only drive so defensively to protect myself from other unpredictable humans. I can however predict how Rivers flow and the reasons behind them.

So, in closing. I love high water. I’m not you, or any of you. I’m me. I have my experiences, knowledge, wants, and needs and they’re mine, not yours. We’re all different. I don’t pretend to understand your life or choices and wouldn’t question them either.

Every risk experienced in a future risk to be mitigated.

wave enjoy your day folks.

Deleted

Fast, dirty & cold = terrible fishing /asking for trouble

blank

Good for you FBRM. Thanks for commenting.

Signed,
    MN Wimp

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Obviously I’ve offended a few with ‘mn wimps’ comment.

When I typed that…I was thinking about the people down south fishing fast Rivers, oceans and tide fishing, crab boats…yada yada… This IS different than normal for the Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River… At least in the main channel-off current isn’t bad at all. But, it is so much less than many normals all around world.
    This isn’t a retraction, just that it was not a personal comment to any individual more to our view of fast water at as a whole. Got to think there’s thousands of people all around the world who would giggle at the risks discussed on this thread.

Y’all are wise for yielding with caution, it is just that your wisdom doesn’t include any high water experience.

Fun fact, back in my Mankato days I had $2k to blow. It was either going to be a whitewater canoe for spring flooding…. Or a hb 898. I probably wouldn’t be around today if I had that white water canoe ) risk choice at play.

jkarels

FBMR
    So you say you’ve run the MIGHTY Minnesota down by Mankato in the highest water around. And fished high waters yesterday. For what a falcon? Seeing a bunch of eagles? Being able to call people a bunch of wimps for lacking what you call experience on “reading the river?”
    Whatever… I call it someone who is arrogant ,lack common sense and has nothing better to do.
    And who are you for calling anyone a bunch of wimps for showing respect to Mother Nature and the risks of the river.
    Maybe next time someone posts something you feel the need to puff your chest out and make everyone else feel less “experienced” just go fishing.

Deleted

risk versus benefit……just doesn’t make any sense to play in the big muddy, till things calm down ….ALOT.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I think FBRM likes getting you guys going.

There are risks everytime you go on the river but with water levels like this those risks are exponential. Unless you are the most experienced, it’s not worth it. Wait a few weeks and you’ll be good to go.

I had one high water experience by myself a few years ago that made me decide it’s not worth it anymore. Launching from a flooded parking lot, not another boat insight for miles and as I got out into the current the motor died and I was going downstream fast. No kicker. Luckily it was just the fuel line that came loose and I was OK but that scared me enough to say no thanks.

NULL

I appreciate everyones input. I did not intend to turn this into a pissing contest. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Now, while caution should always be used while boating, does anyone change their mind if the river is forecasted to be in minor flood stage compared to major flood stage? Just looking at the hydrograph from the ACOE. FYI this is not pool 4.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Launching a boat in flood stage water on the Mississippi’ is closed to new replies.