Is this real or photo shopped?

• Kyhl
    Savage

The more important question is, who else is trying to figure out that location. grin

I’m guessing that was in the afternoon. That would put the camera facing almost due east. Guessing about a mile from shore on the port side of the picture, with the lake running past the horizon would put this on the southeast end. What I can’t reconcile is the closer shoreline on the starboard side. I was thinking that might be an island but after looking on my map, the islands north of Wahkon are farther away from shore than what we are seeing off the port side of the bow.

If this was morning, it would flip to be the northwest end, north of Myrmar? But I don’t think of rock pile bass fishing up there either.

Thoughts? laugh

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Thoughts?

Just like the wide angle distorts the size, it also distorts distance.

For the record I envy that guy and his fish! flame

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Why do bass guys dress like it’s -30 in the fall?

Timmy

I recall an old salt on a walleye trip tell me “if you catch a big enough fish, you dont bave to exaggerate about it”. A distorted pic that shows a smallie or walleye so that you can not get a realistic estimate of its size does not impress me. I recall a guide service that used to advertise here that always had pics of nice eyes, smallies, and crappies that appeared to be bigger than the person holding them…… whistling it gave ZERO realistic reference about how big the fish was. IMO it was nothing more than self promotion and ego stroking.

IMO, it lessens the significance of a truly nice fish. A true 10 lb eye is a phenomenal fish, worthy of admiration. A 7-lb eye held so it appears to be about 50″ long gives me the impression that the person is trying to BS me…… i guess i am just an old curmudgeon in training. just my $.02

T

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Great picture of a great fish!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

The more important question is, who else is trying to figure out that location. grin

I’m guessing that was in the afternoon. That would put the camera facing almost due east. Guessing about a mile from shore on the port side of the picture, with the lake running past the horizon would put this on the southeast end. What I can’t reconcile is the closer shoreline on the starboard side. I was thinking that might be an island but after looking on my map, the islands north of Wahkon are farther away from shore than what we are seeing off the port side of the bow.

If this was morning, it would flip to be the northwest end, north of Myrmar? But I don’t think of rock pile bass fishing up there either.

Thoughts? laugh

Could be anywhere out there, FWIW. They are all over and one like that can turn up about any corner of the lake and about anywhere in between.
    Debate the validity and “holds” of certain fish under internet scrutiny…I am finding there are many more that you don’t see in the world wide web of social media promoting. There are still some old “salts” I’ve learned that have caught some phenomenal fish, bass, walleye, pike out there and and have kept it to themselves for the most part. Private personalities they are, not looking to blow their own horn…just deciding whether they should keep it to eat! shock

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Nice fish fore sure. The hold definitely makes it look bigger.

My personal opinion on fish photos is that you should make the fish look as big as it looked to you when you first brought it out of the water.

Have you ever had that awe factor when you net a big fish only to find out your photo makes the fish look small? I want to remember a fish by how I felt when I first saw it.

Yes, I agree with you here…whether anyone else see’s the picture or not, doesn’t matter. If I’m the only one ever looking at the picture, I want it to look like what I saw coming over the side of the boat. Being that I fish alone most the time, I can’t get any good photos of memorable fish I catch. I’m only left with just the memory! neutral

Jonesy

I had the opposite happen to me the other day. Few years ago on leech I caught a legit 14″ perch. Moments later my friend caught a 28″ walleye. We took the picture together.

Other night on facebook somebody commented on this pic and asked why I was showing off a 9″ perch.

Charles

opposite happen to me the other day. Few years ago on leech I caught a legit 14″ perch. Moments later my friend caught a 28″ walleye. We took the picture togethe

ROFL nice

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

A distorted pic that shows a smallie or walleye so that you can not get a realistic estimate of its size does not impress me

I would say this is just a good pic. And yes, a fish 10oz short of the state record impresses me. No matter how you hold it.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Why do bass guys dress like it’s -30 in the fall?

You would be wearing only a hoodie…in -30 lol DOOHK

SpoonbillSlayer
    St. Michael, MN

Jeeze you guys put your boats away or something. )

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I suppose, no ice yet, Deer hunting is still a week away and the boat is in storage for some. Not much else to do, but debate on the do’s and don’ts of taking a fish photo!! And of all things, a Bass even. Carry on.

Kyhl
    Savage

Why do <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass guys dress like it’s -30 in the fall?

It is normally used for UV and wind protection. I see three reasons to wear one. For the UV protection if you really need it. I work with someone that had skin cancer removed from his face at 40. He wears a baseball hat outside to go on a 15 minute walk. In his case, he needs the protection. If skin cancer runs in your family it would be a good alternative to sun block.
    It is also fashion statement. You have to dress the part.
    Thirdly, unwarranted paranoia of UV. This could be tied into the previous reason.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Also, I didn’t want to let this secret out of the bag… but want to make a 0.75lb bass look like a 3lber? Take a pic of it next to your 1 month old son ) rotflol

Attachments:
    1. IMG_7147.jpg

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>targaman wrote:</div>
    Why do <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass guys dress like it’s -30 in the fall?

It is normally used for UV and wind protection. I see three reasons to wear one. For the UV protection if you really need it. I work with someone that had skin cancer removed from his face at 40. He wears a baseball hat outside to go on a 15 minute walk. In his case, he needs the protection. If skin cancer runs in your family it would be a good alternative to sun block.
    It is also fashion statement. You have to dress the part.
    Thirdly, unwarranted paranoia of UV. This could be tied into the previous reason.

What’ya Cliff Claven? rotflol

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Here are the exciting pics this forum is looking for. Two Mille Lacs smallmouths close to 22″ at around 6lbs.

Aren’t this just the most exciting pics ever )

Attachments:
    1. IMG_7178.jpg

2. IMG_7179.jpg

Nick Cox
    Minnesota

It’s a big fish. Nice catch!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Timmy wrote:</div>
    A distorted pic that shows a smallie or <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleye so that you can not get a realistic estimate of its size does not impress me

I would say this is just a good pic. And yes, a fish 10oz short of the state record impresses me. No matter how you hold it.

Without any other information than the picture, I doubt he was trying to impress everyone by trying to make it look bigger. Besides the reasons I gave before, the pictures are from a GoPro or whatever. I am guessing because it was the only camera or the most readily available camera. And it’s going to distort the image.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Here are the exciting pics this forum is looking for. Two Mille Lacs smallmouths close to 22″ at around 6lbs.

Evan no way are those 22″ one isn’t even on a bump board and the one that is you can’t see the length clearly. Obviously you are a horrible fisherman who needs to lie to make up for something… (end sarcasm) chased

Beautiful fish that would look better held up to a camera! In my humble opinion anyway…

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I doubt he was trying to impress everyone by trying to make it look bigger.

I don’t think so either, but I was saying I was impressed.

However, I was arguing to some people that even if they believe he was trying to impress everyone by holding it out, they should just be impressed at the awesomeness of that smalie and leave it at that.

big_g
    Isle, MN

your actually arguing about this ? the question was real or photoshopped, it is real and it is a bass and it is about 21″… and it is not a record. why are people getting butthurt about other people saying the long arm or distorted lense is being implemented.. it is ! Is it a nice smallie, yes. Was it caught in Mille Lacs… very likely. Are there bigger ones in Mille Lacs ? Yes. How do I know this ? One of the DNR netters stayed in our cabin one spring during the netting and he said the state record is in there…. he had it in his hands.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’m not even sure if the guy is “Hold it out” as many are implying. I think the use of the fisheye lens is making all aspects of those shots look distorted. It would be interesting to see side by side shots done with a regular lens.

-J.

big_g
    Isle, MN

for those who are appalled by this thread.. check out the title. Did you think this was a stroke an ego thread ? rotflol

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

BEST THREAD EVER! TWO pages about holding a fish…the same way 99% of us hold a fish to the camera. LOL

Look deeper. This isn’t the only one. Just the most recent one. I think even the IDO staff was criticized at some point.

Nobody’s wrong about how to hold a fish, it’s just a little insensitive to call somebody out on what is probably their pb and a true giant.

I’m not intending on calling out the op either. I think he had the best intent in mind to get to the bottom of something being circulated on the web.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

For the record I envy that guy and his fish! flame

For the record, you envy any guy holding a fish. rotflol

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Beautiful fish that would look better held up to a camera! In my humble opinion anyway

Ha, thanks for the laugh Werm. My rant point was that no one enjoys a pic of a fish on the floor where you can’t see anything. EVEN is they are…as Feider says “Giants DOOD!” So these people shouldn’t complain and whine about someone who takes a nice fish pic holding it out a ways.

I think it is a great pic and the art of a good fish pic should be appreciated not knocked.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

For the record, you envy any guy holding a fish. rotflol

For the record, winterize your boat and make sure your snowblower starts. chased

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I know for a fact that net is 30″ across, I measured it at lunch jester rotflol

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

but want to make a 0.75lb bass look like a 3lber? Take a pic of it next to your 1 month old son

Damn you put on a lot of weight Evan!!

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.