Hub Wind Trick

• Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

So I haven’t used the anchors yet this year, anyone else use this trick?

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

BAD IDEA!! That is really hard on drills. Tie to your truck or wheeler instead

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

A good way to bust your blades…
    Or bend the bit

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Really? In doing that for 20+ years, never had an issue. I do make sure that the auger is loose after drilling it in. If I could afford a wheeler or sled, or I could drive on the lakes I fish, I’d tie it to those! Learn something everyday here on IDO, here I thought I was Mr. Smarty Pants.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

My 1st thought was worrying about the auger freezing in the hole. I bet you could make a pretty easy anchor to throw in the half drilled hole and just stomp back down the snow and ice over it. Have a rope coming off of that to tie to the house.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Great idea just lay the auger down on the snow/ice vs leaving upright in a half drilled hole. Hopefully its not that windy where it moves the auger.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Guess I’ll lay her down, but I get worried with the blades because the cover seems to come off easily and the boys are always running around. Notice the metal handles anyway!

xxrodbenderxx
    menomonie wi

i dont have a hub but whene we pack in to the backwood lakes we use a groundblind….and we would use the auger ….but no more got the auger stuck in the ice LAST WEEKEND and had to find a ax to bust it free…..note to self NEVER AGAIN

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Either way, I still think you’re the Mr. Smarty Pants of Ido!

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I’ve done the hook the hub to the auger deal on early ice. Now it’s hook the hub to the truck only on those windy days where nobody else is seen on the ice.

Those are just temporary anchors until I get my ice anchors all in.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Ah shucks BK, knock it off

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

Guess I’ll lay her down, but I get worried with the blades because the cover seems to come off easily and the boys are always running around. Notice the metal handles anyway!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

StrikeMaster’s Power Auger Case is a must for any ice fishing angler. Augers no longer have to be difficult to transport in and out of vehicles and on the back of ATV’s and snowmobiles. A rigid layer of indestructible polyethylene is sewn inside of a rugged 1200 x 1200 denier polyester to prevent the auger from damaging upholstery, ice tents, snowmobile seats, etc. It is great for protecting your auger when transporting and it also helps contain gas and oil spills. It features an accessory storage pocket for wrenches and plugs, a full length heavy duty #10 zipper and two 2” wide nylon web handles to perfectly balance your auger for a comfortable one-handed grip. Fits almost all makes and models of 8” and 10” power augers.
    • Includes inside storage pocket for plugs, wrenches, etc.
    • Constructed of rugged 1200 x 1200 denier polyester
    • Indestructible Polyethylene inner liner protects auger
    • Helps prevent damage to upholstery & fishing gear
    • Nylon web handles perfectly balance auger for a comfortable one-handed grip

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I don’t have a trump card.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

You guys have all the toys, probably buying those $10 rapalas too. Should have had bridge in the background….

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

I don’t have a trump card.

Checkmate.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Don’t laugh at me! You’re the one beating your head against the wall!

I thought that the StrikeMaster bag was going to be a pain…it came with my last auger. When I sold that auger and got the Strikelite, I didn’t let the bag go with it.

Not only does it keep the dust off of it during the summer, but it’s very very easy to handle in the winter months for totting around. Now it does take a few more second to put on than a blade guard, but it seems like it’s easier to put on (possibly because I’m standing and not kneeling on the ice) and it STAYS on.

For $49.95 I would buy another one in a heart beat.

For what a good auger costs it’s well worth the protection and ease of use. Also keeps people from standing their augers in ice holes.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

I do like the bag, but now I feel I have to stand it in holes just because. See what you do to me BK? Now I’m looking at the golf clubs I haven’t used in years and wondering if I took the insert out of the bag if….

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.