Where and When for Ice Fishing Trips?

• Outfitter17
    Lower Manitou Lake, Ont.

Do people on this board take ice fishing trips or mainly just go out on the weekends to your local lake?

If you do take trips where do you go, Minnesota, North/South Dakota, Wis., or Canada.

When do you like to go, early ice, late ice, or anytime you can get away from work?

Feel free to share you thoughts on this subject.

bigpike

In the past I have gone to LOTW, and Mille Lacs. Both were worth the money and time. Always wanted to go up into Canada but fear of weather has prevented me along with cost to a lesser extent along with the unknown of were to go/stay. LOTW and Mille Lacs are heavily fished and it is pretty easy to get a good idea of what to bring and expect. I would say much more planning and time would have to go into a trip north of the border. Certainly 1 big trip a year is worth the time and effort, otherwise I really look forward to first ice. I have a spot that receives little pressure, takes work to get to. But having it all that great fishing to myself and a few select friends is awesome. Walleye, Pike, LM, Jumbo Perch and plenty of Gils make this spot and first ice time one of the most anticipated times of my angling year

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Lake of the Woods in March.

Great fishing and usually decent weather.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Rainy at least twice a winter. Most winters we hit LOTW on the south end and the past couple winters I’ve made at least two trips to Ontario. Throw in a couple trips to WI, one to Iowa and the odd trip to South Dakota and I’ve got some miles on. This winter it looks like I’ll be in the Alex area here in MN first ice and on Rainy as soon as the ice will hold us then up in the islands on LOTW before Christmas… again as long as the ice is good. I’m hoping to get out on Superior in March and then Joel Nelson and I are going to try and catch a state record brook trout off of Secret Lake X.

How about you? Any trips planned that don’t involve you walking out the back door and onto your lake?

hags54701
    Eau Claire, WI

Hit Leech Lake the last couple Marches, and had mixed results for the perch. Can’t keep the walleyes off the hook. Early, late, midwinter….just can’t beat a good trip out there playing with all the new electronics available. Beats work any day. On a lighter note, if you need a fishing partner out on all those hectic journeys James, you make sure you give me a shout. I could probably find ya one. With the snow storm today, it kinda sent out a false alarm that ice fishing is getting close. Still a little time left to chased the whitetails.

Outfitter17
    Lower Manitou Lake, Ont.

I think I will head over to a buddies place to fish crappies once or twice this winter, but mainly lakers within site of the cabin

E Ashwell
    Apple Valley, MN

I go to Mille Lacs quite a bit but from Minneapolis can you call that a trip? 11 high school buddies and I head up to Upper Red every January for some , , and some fishing.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

but mainly lakers within site of the cabin

And who could blame you. I know if I had a lake in my backyard I’d never get anything done.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

The Madison Chain has something for everyone. I do like to get over to the river backwaters, and like to hit northern Wisconsin in a few less traveled areas to find some peace.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

My first trip will be in my back yard to nail the wipers down again this year!! This will be return of the wiper year # 4!! I am grinning like a school girl I can hardly wait!

Then after that…The ends of the earth are the limit-
    Mille lacs always at least once a year, leech for sure this year too. I met a ton of resort owners this year at the CSI tackle shows…everyone one of them said “come on up!!”
    So many places, so little time!

brittlab
    North Central Iowa

I’ve only been to Waubay once (Feb 07) and Mille Lacs (Jan 08) once. I’ve got 2 Wisc. trips planned for Lake superior (jan ’10) and Lake Thompson (Feb ’10)
    I’d like to try other places but it’s hard to plan trips with my odd work schedule

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.