Ice Flies/ No Bait Options for Panfish

• Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

I currently use meat on jigs. Looking into getting a couple flies this year and giving them a whirl. Some that I have talked to have taken this “No Bait Pledge” and apparently swear by it. What are others experiences in regards to using flies under the ice?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Similar to the chain droppers used on perch lures, replace the treble hook found on smaller jigging spoons with a short piece of limp, light mono and tie a small fly on. The weight of the jig body gets the fly down quickly while the mono allows the fly to almost float.

Plastics are always a very good alternative to the meat.

I’ve never had much for sensitivity even using braids doing this but I have caught some awful nice sunnies doing it.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

I’ve caught more big crappies in the last two years than ever with just a teardrop jig and a Nuggie. I literally outfish anyone im with 3-1 over live bait.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

If your thinking about no bait… Your on the right track..

I have been a plastics user for many years.. very rarely do I ever use live bait… This year I picked up some of the TriggerX plastics.. They are scented to entice a bite…They have great action as well..

Check them out here on the Ice Force Web Page

bigstorm
    Southern WI

My favorite bait is a Shrimpo, but I usually do tip it with a spike, never tried it without one. I did pick up some of the new Trigger X tails, look just like the Shrimpo bodies, just a longer tail

BBKK
    IA

I’m talking with Larson’s Quality Jigs right now, looking for some tiny hair jigs for panfish through the ice (1/64). If it interests you as well, shoot him a message on facebook or call. He said he will look into it for me, if more people show interest I’m sure he’ll be able to do it!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Larsons-Quality-Jigs/512965932094747?ref=br_tf

I am looking for an option to not use live bait and not have to mess with adjusting plastics.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Quote:

I’ve caught more big crappies in the last two years than ever with just a teardrop jig and a Nuggie. I literally outfish anyone im with 3-1 over live bait.

Vikefan I will 2nd that like crazy !!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.