Metro panfish are biting!

• poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Made it out on a lake this afternoon with a few buddies Just south of Minneapolis and had a blast catching crappies and gills over deep water! Its been awhile since ive got into a good panfish bite so this was pretty cool! For awhile it was literally one after another as fast as you could catch em! The TUC noodle got its first real workout of the year. This is coming from a walleye guy, but wow is that one nice rod! Watching that bite happen on your rod tip is underrated in my book!

Deep holes in the 20 to 35 foot depths are where we found the fish. Crappies and Gills were mixed in with eachother and they were hungry and willing to eat! A pink shrimpo from CJS is what i was using with no bait. Fishing outside, this is an awesome bait as you catch a fish, unhook, and send it back down, there is no need to rebait!

These fish would move in and out in schools and when they were in they were everywhere! This is when the vertical zoom feature on the LX-7 would shine. I had no problem picking out individual fish to target amongst the masses.

Ice conditions were okay, still some spots of open water so be careful, but majority of the places had 3 to 4 inches of ice.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Grant,
    What do the bays up in Duluth look like for ice (Spirit and Allouez)? I’ll be up there this weekend for the holidays and hoping to get out there to chase some walleyes.

BMarshall17

I knew you would find some ice down there Grant, being the extreme angler that you are! Sometimes a little crazy, but hey sometimes crazy pays off!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

My bro called me crazy for suggesting we go ice fishing last weekend.

Looks like it is time to start finding smaller bodies of water.

Nice job Grant. I was a bit confused seeing your name under “Metro Panfish”.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

What was the thickness of the ice?

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Quote:

What was the thickness of the ice?

We had over 4 inches of good ice. There were some sketchy areas but overall, it was good! With the weather lately i was impresed at how well it has held up. Will check up on lake of the isles and calhoun tomorrow!

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Quote:

Grant,
    What do the bays up in Duluth look like for ice (Spirit and Allouez)? I’ll be up there this weekend for the holidays and hoping to get out there to chase some walleyes.

Allouez should be good, but i have not been out there yet. I know the harbor and other areas of the river are in rough shape, but areas such as allouez and bays like pokegama should be good. I fished pokegama over 2 weeks ago and it has 4 inches, so it should be solid now!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.