This morn. on the river

• starvin pilgrim

This morning I drilled a couple of holes and like usual,when I pulled the auger out , water came with. I noticed a few minutes later it did’nt go back down.It actually spead out quite a bit.My canvas froze to the ice. I was on clear ice. It just seemed odd at this time of year. I fish the river alot and never seen this before .I have ideas but, I thought I’d listen to some other opinions.

starvin pilgrim

I should add thatI was sitting in a half inch of water.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Usually for me it’s a sign that I need to go see Jenny Craig.

Just sayin’…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Good night ladies and gentlemen.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

What was your ice thickness?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

This is VERY common. Ice isn’t flat. It heaves up and down, splits, cracks and generally moves all over the place depending on temp, wind and snow load.

You punched a hole in an area where the surface of the ice was below the water level. Once you “broke the seal” water ran up the hole on to the ice.

In heavy snow fall years the weight of the snow can put so much downward pressure on the ice that it will push the ice below water level by quite a distance. I’ve punched holes in situations like this where a 1/8 oz. spoon that was dropped into the hole was carried back up and out onto the ice making it impossible to fish until the gush of water subsided.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.