Marcum LX-5?

• rainman2
    metro area

Is it normal to have to turn the dial to the 40′ zone if you are fishing in 18-20′ of water? Mine reads nothing in this area when using the 20′ dial! Just my personal opinion, BUT, I am really starting to dislike this brand of product. I have had other issues but will leave it at that. I just emailed them but wanted others input on this as well.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I never had any problems with the LX-5 that a new battery didn’t fix.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

If you’re fishing in 20′ of water… you’ll need to be in the 40′ scale. No question about it. And all flashers will be that way. If you’re fishing in 18′ of water you might be able to get by in the 20′ scale depending on how much bottom “read out” below the actual depth is showing. Basically as your depth fished begins to match your depth scale you’ll want to jump to the next higher depth scale to show all the available information.

shaley
    Milford IA

What James said, no matter the brand it applies…

rainman2
    metro area

Damn, That was fast, 10 minutes and the problem that i thought i had is no longer a problem. Thanks guys.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If you want the 20′ view, drop your ducer down until you read bottom. That even works with the vex!

rainman2
    metro area

Ok, but, when my lure hits the 18′ mark in 20′ mode it disappears, it reads nothing at all(2′ dead zone) from 18-20′, is that the norm? i think not!! my buddies FL20 reads down to 20′ where mine does not!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Ok, but, when my lure hits the 18′ mark in 20′ mode it disappears, it reads nothing at all(2′ dead zone) from 18-20′, is that the norm? i think not!! my buddies FL20 reads down to 20′ where mine does not!

You could have some “dead” lines in your display where the LED’s aren’t lighting… unusual… but possible…. and if that’s the case the fix would be a return to MarCum for a check up and quick fix. Turn around time is very fast. Usually 1 day. If you can spare it, send it out next monday during a full work week and you’ll likely have it back before the weekend. Call customer service beforehand, of course.

Or, if you’re in the metro area, show up with the unit and they’ll fix it for you on the spot.

http://www.marcumtech.com/Support/tabid/147/Default.aspx

MarCum Service

3943 Quebec Ave. N. Minneapolis MN, 55427

shaley
    Milford IA

Depends on bottom content, some days my 5 reads to 19-20 some days not.. Same with the 20 we run…Some days 1 will read 18 while the other wont and need s to be in 40′, not always the same unit either, a little flucuation in the bottom will also affect depth reading such as a small depression right under you but surrounding cone is on shallower water….

DRH1175

Use 40 That is why you have zoom! Flashers used to go to 30 instead of 20 but for better target seperation they changed to 20.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Give this a try when you can. Set the flasher to 40′. Then zoom in on the “Dead Zone”. If you are marking fish or weeds on the zoom side that is in the dead zone when not in the Zoom mode, then you know that you unit is seeing it, but just not showing it in non zoom mode. So….probably dead lines.

Just a thought.

FDR

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

That depth is “awkward” on any flasher. As said above go to 40 ft then zoom zoom zoom. The stength of the LX-5 is the zoom. If you are fishing an uneven bottom at that 18-20 ft depth zoom and then put on NBT (narrow beam transducer). I had that this weekend in some rocks. First rock (first return) at 17′, bottom one at 21′. I could still follow my spoon in that dead zone with NBT on. It was a shaddow (quiver in the red) on the screen but I could see it.

rainman2
    metro area

If you can spare it, send it out next monday during a full work week and you’ll likely have it back before the weekend. Call customer service beforehand, of course.

Or, if you’re in the metro area, show up with the unit and they’ll fix it for you on the spot.

http://www.marcumtech.com/Support/tabid/147/Default.aspx

MarCum Service

3943 Quebec Ave. N. Minneapolis MN, 55427

Come on man, I fish every day after work for the most part!!!! I cant be without a locator!! J/K james i do have an old CC that i could use, Wow is that old school!! Thanks for the info James, it is in the shop as I type this!!

Good Fishing to all of you at IDO in 2012!!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.