Help on used Mid Sized Truck

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m just starting my search for a new truck. I think I’ve decided to go the mid sized route. I’m looking mostly at 2020 or 2021 models. Kind of bad timing as it seems like the interest rates on used trucks is rather high and it seems like the price on them also seems to be higher than I’d expect with the rising interest rates. I think I’ve narrowed my choices down to the ford ranger, GMC Canyon, the Chev. Colorado, and the Toyota Tacoma.
    The ranger only is available with the 2.3 4cyl turbo engine. That to me just seems like it’s on the small end for towing. I know those smaller turbo engines are the trend but they still scare me. Both the GMC and Chev. has 3 different engine options but most I’m finding have the 3.6 V6 engine. The Toyota come with a 3.5 V6 engine. It seems like the towing capacity of all of them are more than enough for my needs. Currently I’m towing a 1850 crestliner fishhawk with a 150 motor. All of the gas mileage ratings are rather close with the ranger being slightly more. Anyone here own any of these 4 trucks and care to share their thoughts on them.

CaptainMusky

Im a GM guy, but I would definitely go with the Tacoma.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Im a GM guy, but I would definitely go with the Tacoma.

I used to be a GM guy also but wouldn’t touch one with a 10 ft pole nowadays. Tacoma all the way and it isn’t even close. If the new Ranger is solid like the old one is yet to be seen. I also hate turbos, just one more thing to fail.

CaptainMusky

Ive never had bad luck with the trucks I have owned just my wife’s yukon xl with the afm issues. Otherwise they have all been solid, never had anything go wrong. Well, I guess I had this annoying thing with my radio in my new truck where it cuts out when I first start it up, but that was fixed with a simple display android update.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Curious on your reasoning to go to a midsize truck?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Curious on your reasoning to go to a midsize truck?

No real reason. I kind of go back and forth on mid or full. I really like the styling of the mid sized ones better. The mileage is slightly better and it will fit in my garage a little easier.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I am also done with turbos for a pull vehicle. I had the V6 turbo eco boost and it pulled well. But the gas milage pulling was not great. Was told this is the same for all the turbo motors. Good milage empty and you get a 1/3 pulling. Might not be a bad idea to test drive the trucks with your boat and see for yourself what you get. Empty, the turbo was more fun to drive.

Please let us know how they do milage wise pulling. I would be interested to know your results.

I also hate turbos, just one more thing to fail.

The turbo went out on my eco and was quoted $5K to fix it. I am wonder how the blue book is affected when these get up on the miles.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

For the love of god sit in a honda ridgeline just for grins waytogo that tacoma will feel very small. The ridgeline will have the 3.5l v6 no turbo! Also you will have a 9 speed trans in those years. The 6 speed was prior and they are known to have issues.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Tacoma all day. You can drive it for 20 years put 200k+ on it, and still sell it for a decent price.

buschman
    Pool 2

If you decide to go with the Tacoma run your #s.. You might be surprised to see its better to buy a 2023 right now. I have a Tacoma now and love it.

Used Tacoma’s hold their value. You will see them 2-3 years old and asking 35,000.00 plus. You can get a new one around 41-42,000.00 with 3 year warranty and a better interest rate. It can cost more if you add a bunch of stuff but that will come with anything you are looking at.

Also, 2023 is the last year they will be selling the Tacoma with the 3.5 v6. The 2024 will be a 2.4 twin turbo and sticker price will be about 8-10,000.00 more than the new 2023 models.

Alex Fox

I bought a new Colorado in the timeframe you are looking. The whole reason I got that over the Tacoma was the rear leg room for two kids. My BIL has a Tacoma and has to slide his seat 4 or 5 inches forward to fit his kids in the car seat and drive. I doubt you have little ones but it’s something to think about.

Having said all that, I had to take GM to court for lemon law. Mine has had nothing but issues with the “infotainment” center. They tried fixing it 9 times in a year, nothing helped. Rearview camera wouldn’t work, then it would stay on (this was kind of cool, made me feel like James Bond), buttons on the wheel wouldn’t work, phone wouldn’t sync. They ended up paying a third of the price of the vehicle back to me. Has definitely turned me off from GM though.

The ridgeline had some cool features that I really liked, drives like a car, but the bed is pretty shallow for any real hauling.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I wouldn’t touch a GM truck in any size.

I’d look at a Tacoma equipped the way you want and get an out the door price to the cent. I’d then go look at an F150 in the same age range and do the same.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Its looks like the thoughts here are all over the place, much like my own. It seems like a slight lean towards the Tacoma and that does not surprise me. The problem with the Tacoma is the lack of them available and this is keeping the prices a little higher on them. Its also the one I like the least based on style. Then again function trumps style to me. Reading lots of reviews for the 2020 and 2021 year class, it seems like the Tacoma and the Ranger seem to be the top 2 in the ratings. Like others here I’m just shy of the small sized Turbo engine. I may have to keep my mind open to going full sized. There really is no real need for the mid size, then again really no need for the full size either. Like most I’m just looking for the best Value for the money.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

For the love of god sit in a honda ridgeline just for grins waytogo that tacoma will feel very small. The ridgeline will have the 3.5l v6 no turbo! Also you will have a 9 speed trans in those years. The 6 speed was prior and they are known to have issues.

I will have take a look at the ridgeline. A buddy has one and likes it. I do know the towing capacity is about 2500 less on the ridgeline and it is recommended to use only premium fuel when towing over 3,000

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If you decide to go with the Tacoma run your #s.. You might be surprised to see its better to buy a 2023 right now. I have a Tacoma now and love it.

Ya that is something to factor in. I really wanted to stay away from new just due to the $ but then again if the $’s are close enough it make be the better decision.

CaptainMusky

A lot of new vehicles with direct injection recommend using premium fuel. Mine does, but I never use it. Dont have any issues.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I will have take a look at the ridgeline. A buddy has one and likes it. I do know the towing capacity is about 2500 less on the ridgeline and it is recommended to use only premium fuel when towing over 3,000

It should only be 1,500 less than a tacoma. 5,000 vs 6,500. Plus the trunk is sweet!

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

2008 Tacoma owner here. Have the access cab and it’s been such a great truck. Lots of fishing/camping/scuba diving/hauling gear and it’s never let me down. Been in a more than a few snowy ditches and steep snowy boat ramps, and never have been stuck. 170k miles now and other than routine maintenance the only other things I’ve replaced are shocks/struts/brakes/compass&thermometer unit/cabin blower motor(was plugged up with acorns from parking under an oak tree). It’s mostly lived outside its whole life and just some rust on the rear bumper. Rated for 6500lbs towing, I’ve never had an issue pulling anything. Feel free to reach out w any questions.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

fishthumper wrote:

It should only be 1,500 less than a tacoma. 5,000 vs 6,500. Plus the trunk is sweet!

I want you to know, Youbetcha, that this is a safe space for Ridgeline owners. Nobody’s going to say it. Nobody’s even thinking about saying it. We love you, man.

Michael Best

I am a Toyota guy but my work truck is a Chevy Colorado ZR2 with a diesel engine and I love it.
    On Monday when I went to SD it averaged 30 miles to the gallon for the trip.
    It can handle a load better than the 1/2 Ton gas trucks we have in our fleet.
    One day last fall I pulled one of our car trailers with 7000 lbs of steel plate on it and it did ok with that.

dirtywater

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Youbetcha wrote:</div>
    fishthumper wrote:

I want you to know, Youbetcha, that this is a safe space for Ridgeline owners. Nobody’s going to say it. Nobody’s even thinking about saying it. We love you, man.

You are not alone, brother.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I think about doing this all the time. I have an F 150 and it’s been great, 2017 5.0. The advantage of these small trucks are driving in town, parking spots, storing in garage. The gas mileage might be a touch better, but honestly it doesn’t seem like much. Let us know what you end up with.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>

You are not alone, brother.

Came here just for the Ridgeline discussion and you guys delivered applause

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Came here just for the Ridgeline discussion and you guys delivered[/quote

We’re not discussing the Ridgeline. We’re only discussing how nobody’s going to bring up… you know. That thing that nobody should be bringing up.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

One of the best part about owning a Ridgeline and driving it, is then you don’t have to waste money on one of those pride bumper stickers.

…sorry I had to.

picklerick
    Central WI

I pulled a Lowe FS165 and a 90hp Merc with a Tacoma for years. I don’t think I would have wanted to pull anything larger. I traded in the Taco for a Tundra and had the perfect excuse to get a larger boat. Traded in the Lowe for an Alumacraft Edge 175 with a 150hp Vmax SHO. It’s similar in size to the Fish Hawk and I don’t think I would have wanted it behind my Tacoma.

CaptainMusky

One of the best part about owning a Ridgeline and driving it, is then you don’t have to waste money on one of those pride bumperstickers.

…sorry I had to.

IDK it there were any truck to have a pride sticker it would be on a Ridgeline or if Subaru made a truck. Not that there is anything wrong with it just saying. This is absolutely no reflection on youbetcha or anyone else here, just observation from what I have seen by people driving those vehicles because I see them a fair amount on them compared to others.

tswoboda

IF Subaru made a truck?!

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot-2024-04-17-132700.jpg

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Came here just for the Ridgeline discussion and you guys delivered applause

Thats why I stick around jester

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.