Help on used Mid Sized Truck

• brandmoney

I’d go a little earlier than 2020/2021. We all remember what happened there with parts and supply chain shortages. I think a 2018/2019 would be a safer option.

Go with a Tacoma. Most reliable midsize, hands down. They look the best in my opinion. I have a 2016 and have literally never had an issue

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The ridgeline handles a 175 competitor with a 75hp just fine

Those ridges just like handling things, anything… whistling

Dodge needs to bring back the Dakota and then I might forgive them for ending the Hemi….maybe. chased

dirtywater

I feel like it’s not even fair to compare Ridgeline with Tacoma, ranger, Colorado etc. the RL is a pilot with a bed. Or (gasp) an odyssey with a bed. I parked next to a new colorado the other day and that felt like considerably more “truck” than my RL.

I think the RL is what most city-dwelling midsize truck owners actually need if they are honest with themselves. 29mpg highway is pretty sweet on a vehicle that can tow 5k pounds. And the driving experience is pretty dang comfortable.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’d go a little earlier than 2020/2021. We all remember what happened there with parts and supply chain shortages. I think a 2018/2019 would be a safer option.

Go with a Tacoma. Most reliable midsize, hands down. They look the best in my opinion. I have a 2016 and have literally never had an issue

The problem with the 2018-2019 Tacoma’s is finding one. The other problem with them is the price when you do find one. Its crazy that a 2018 or 2019 with 60,000+ miles they still want 30,000-34,000 for. Thats a 5 year+ old mid sized truck with over 60,000 miles. I’m not reaql sure what a new 2024 Tacoma cost is, but I’d have to take a close look at new with those used prices

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

29mpg highway is pretty sweet on a vehicle that can tow 5k pounds.

That’s some good food for thought. All the standard small trucks, ranger, colorado, tacoma have the advantage of easier parking, city driving, and fitting in a garage. And that’s it. Fuel efficiency isn’t any better.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I may have to take a look at the ridgeline. But them I’ll have to get use to the jokes from buddies such as:

Do I now sit down to pee
    How often do I shave my Legs
    Do they sell Men’s auto’s where I bought the ridgeline

jester jester jester

TH

A month ago, there was a discussion on how it wasn’t even worth owning a short bed truck. Now a 4 page discussion on mid size trucks. It must be totally different people on those 2 threads.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

A month ago, there was a discussion on how it wasn’t even worth owning a short bed truck. Now a 4 page discussion on mid size trucks. It must be totally different people on those 2 threads.

Short beds suck. They are for office guys

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TH wrote:</div>

Short beds suck. They are for office guys

The bed size on both the Ford Ranger and the Toyota Tacoma is more than large enough for my needs. I am a office guy as well so I guess that fits. I know I always here that those who insist on a long bed pickup are often compensating for shortness in other parts of their life jester

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The bed size on both the Ford Ranger and the Toyota Tacoma is more than large enough for my needs. I am a office guy as well so I guess that fits. I know I always here that those who insist on a long bed pickup are often compensating for shortness in other parts of their life jester
    [/quote]

Damn I always thought that was lifted trucks. I’ll have to ask one of the Ridgeline guys if my equipment is enough to impress there boyfriends or not rotflol

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Damn I always thought that was lifted trucks. I’ll have to ask one of the Ridgeline guys if my equipment is enough to impress there boyfriends or not

Ouch !!! Your making more new friends again today Bearcat rotflol

CaptainMusky

Damn I always thought that was lifted trucks. I’ll have to ask one of the Ridgeline guys if my equipment is enough to impress there boyfriends or not

No it’s limited to Ram owners with those towing mirrors fully extended while not towing anything hence they’re towing air.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It’s all in good fun, I’m poking fun at Mr Carter.
    I could only hope every one drives what makes them happy. No need for a full size if you don’t need it. I wish a had a early 90s ranger still

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

No it’s limited to Ram owners with those towing mirrors fully extended while not towing anything hence they’re towing air.

They are looking what there future boyfriends look like behind them in traffic

CaptainMusky

They are looking what there future boyfriends look like behind them in traffic

I dont care who you are that is funny right there!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I dont care who you are that is funny right there!

Yep. Bearcat is firing on all cylinders today

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

It’s all in good fun, I’m poking fun at Mr Carter.
    I could only hope every one drives what makes them happy. No need for a full size if you don’t need it. I wish a had a early 90s ranger still

Ya’ll just wish you were as cool as me jester

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Well I started my search this afternoon after work. After checking at both the ford dealer and the Toyota dealer I know I’m not going to enjoy this search much at all. Looked at a few used ford rangers. After the sticker shock wore off, I asked to see any new 2024 models, the salesmen laughed. Said they have not had a new Ranger on the lot in weeks. I asked if any 2023 holdovers. Got a 2nd bigger laugh. They did have a few 2023 F-150 holdovers that seemed to have some decent deals on them. But there was a reason they were still around. Odd / Ugly colors and poor package options.
    Off to Toyota hoping for better. Not many used tacomas. Once again what there was seemed way over priced. They did have a few new 2024’s. Like others said now only available engine is now a 2.4 L turbo. The price point on the 2024 was way more than I want to spend. Oh well. May have to just drive my current F-150 till it dies.

MX1825

Well I started my search this afternoon after work. After checking at both the ford dealer and the Toyota dealer I know I’m not going to enjoy this search much at all. Looked at a few used ford rangers. After the sticker shock wore off, I asked to see any new 2024 models, the salesmen laughed. Said they have not had a new Ranger on the lot in weeks. I asked if any 2023 holdovers. Got a 2nd bigger laugh.

I would find another dealer. I’d laugh and walk out the door. Some dealers have not moved out of the covid years where the sales pitch
    “Was take it at that price or someone else will” They can kiss moon

James Almquist

I would find another dealer. I’d laugh and walk out the door. Some dealers have not moved out of the covid years where the sales pitch
    “Was take it at that price or someone else will” They can kiss moon

When I was shopping for a new Tundra I found out just how worthless some dealerships really are when it comes to dealing with customers. Some will not deal or even respond to your emails. Both Toyota dealerships in Duluth will not bargain with you and this was during Covid. Kari Toyota had a truck on their lot since November and in March would not budge on the price. I expanded my search to the cites and all around and ended up buying from Wausau Toyota. I got the truck for $4000 off sticker and got 0% financing from Toyota. I know that is not going to happen now but I would be searching the lots through the internet just to see if there is something just sitting there that they would be happy to make a deal just to move it. When we were shopping for a Rav4 for the wife I knew we would have to pay sticker. Sent an email to Kolar Toyota and ask 3 questions having to do with availability and wait times. The A-hole never answered my questions and asked me 3 questions and one was have I ever bought from them in the past. Needless to say I will never deal with that Stealership again.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Been awhile since the last time I was on the search for a new to me auto. New or used. Seems like some things are the same and others much different. Some dealers they would come rushing to me before my feet a
    Even hit the ground, other I started to think the dealer was closed ven though I knew they were not. One dealer I probably walked the lot for close to a hour. Walked back to my truck parked right in front of the door and left without 1 sales person approaching me. Seems like the current new trend is to no hassle or wheeling and dealing one. Most places I looked it was the price marked is the price. I kind of thought when I would start to walk away they would say hey let’s sit down and talk, but nope. I guess I don’t really mind that. You know right away what you are have to be willing to pay to own it. Probably because I didn’t start out the search with a certain truck in mind I’m kind of all over the place in my search. One minute I say I want a used ranger, then it’s a used F-150, then maybe I’ll just find a carryover new 2023. Tomorrow I’m going to go test drive a few different ones to try and narrow down my choices. Some people like this process, I am not one of those

B-man

I feel like it’s not even fair to compare Ridgeline with Tacoma, ranger, Colorado etc. the RL is a pilot with a bed. Or (gasp) an odyssey with a bed. I parked next to a new colorado the other day and that felt like considerably more “truck” than my RL.

I think the RL is what most city-dwelling midsize truck owners actually need if they are honest with themselves. 29mpg highway is pretty sweet on a vehicle that can tow 5k pounds. And the driving experience is pretty dang comfortable.

My wife drives a way less gay version of the Ridgeline (Trailsport Pilot)

Ain’ts nobody getting 29mpg with either. She’s gets 23 at best, with tank to tank around 20mpg.

Towing our little river boat drops to 15-16 mpg.

Atavar

If it won’t haul a full sheet of plywood or a chest freezer with the tailgate closed it’s not a truck. It’s just a Ute.

dirtywater

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dirtywater wrote:</div>

Ain’ts nobody getting 29mpg with either. She’s gets 23 at best, with tank to tank around 20mpg.

The day I drove it home from the dealer I got 29.6 going from Loretto to Saint Paul in eco mode. The last 800 miles (roughly 250 highway, rest city) I am averaging 22.9.

I think my giant pride flags actually increase my fuel efficiency which is just a super fun side effect as far as I’m concerned.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

She must have a lead foot! I get 24-26 in the summer and 21-23 in the winter. 19ish towing waytogo with the ridgeline of course

tswoboda

Is that actual mpg or what the computer is telling you? My wife’s (gen2) Pilot is real world 18-19 mpg average, but the computer always shows it at 20-21.

Fuelly has the gen3 Pilots and RLs all at 20-21 mpg

dirtywater

Is that actual mpg or what the computer is telling you? My wife’s (gen2) Pilot is real world 18-19 mpg average, but the computer always shows it at 20-21.

Fuelly has the gen3 Pilots and RLs all at 20-21 mpg

My numbers were from the dash. Will have to do it the old fashioned way on the next tank.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My numbers were from the dash. Will have to do it the old fashioned way on the next tank.

If your Dash #’s are like most Auto’s the actual old fashioned #’s are likely to be less. Some auto’s it close, others its way off.

CaptainMusky

Its weird how off some of these computers are. I kept track early on with my truck and it was actually LOW on the computer to what I actually got.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.