Help on used Mid Sized Truck

• LabDaddy1

Sucks Toyota has gone downsized turbo’d engines on all truck models now.

Alagnak1

For a turbo to fail at 96k is definitely not a selling point, that’s actually pretty bad. Did they give a reason why it failed so early. And what kind of use did you have with the truck for those 96 thousand miles , I’m just personally curious

It was just leaking enough oil to smell it burning, nothing on the ground. It didn’t just all of a sudden ‘go out’. I think my dash says 20,000 miles or so hooked up to a trailer (nothing huge) so average use I would think. No, I’m not saying that’s a selling point by any means just reporting my actual cost of replacement here locally.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

When I took my Ranger in for routine service in February, the technician said there is now a 3 month waiting list for a new one. I don’t know if there’s any truth to that or not, but the lot was plum full of F150s and they had zero Rangers.

haleysgold
    SE MN

When I took my Ranger in for routine service in February, the technician said there is now a 3 month waiting list for a new one. I don’t know if there’s any truth to that or not, but the lot was plum full of F150s and they had zero Rangers.

Yeah, probably 2023 F150’s.
    The 2024’s are just getting shipped out because of an issue they found and fixed b4 sending em out the door.
    Now where are they going to put the 24’s with a lot full of 23’s?

When I asked for a decent discount on a ’23 since they are already a year old, depreciated about 18% and would depreciate another 10% as soon as I drove it off the lot, I got the deer in the head lights look. shock

And then the price went up because the Ford discount ended like April 2nd.
    I thought for a 23 and lot chalked full of em, they would deal but nope.
    I walked and started looking at the 2024 GMC Sierra 1500’s.

CaptainMusky

These manufacturers are starting to really feel the pain of the high interest rates. Some of them are finally waking up and starting to add incentives again via rebates and lower interest rates, but they are losing money BIG time! For every F150 Lightning Ford sells they lose $33k. That is not a good business model. Finally saw my first one the other day and not surprisingly it had a generator in the bed of the truck charging it while it was driving.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

These manufacturers are starting to really feel the pain of the high interest rates. Some of them are finally waking up and starting to add incentives again via rebates and lower interest rates, but they are losing money BIG time! For every F150 Lightning Ford sells they lose $33k. That is not a good business model. Finally saw my first one the other day and not surprisingly it had a generator in the bed of the truck charging it while it was driving.

It sure doesn’t seem like they are feeling much pain to me. The price of used auto’s seems really high to me given the recent interest rise on them. If anything I think the price of used trucks has gone up some since the interest rates increased. Like haleysgold said they are still sitting on a decent supply of 2023’s and not really willing to work much on a deal on them either. That is how I got into my current 2012 Ford F-150. I was looking for a used truck and because of a carry over on the end of the year models, they had the price of the used auto marked up so high to get people to purchase a holdover new auto. I ended up buying new because it was cheaper than the 2-3 year old used ones they had on their lots

CaptainMusky

Like haleysgold said they are still sitting on a decent supply of 2023’s and not really willing to work much on a deal on them either.

So a good supply of the last year’s model is not a bad thing? Sure seems like it to me. 2024 models in many cases start shipping mid summer or at the latest Fall of the prior year. To be still sitting on a ton of 2023s is not a good sign.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>
    Like haleysgold said they are still sitting on a decent supply of 2023’s and not really willing to work much on a deal on them either.

So a good supply of the last year’s model is not a bad thing? Sure seems like it to me. 2024 models in many cases start shipping mid summer or at the latest Fall of the prior year. To be still sitting on a ton of 2023s is not a good sign.

Nope its not a good thing. I was just saying that with all the holdover models still remaining and new models on the way, you would think they would be willing to deal on the holdovers to get them sold and out of the way. That does not seem to be the case from what I’m hearing and seeing. If they were Hurting for $ they would be working hard to move more auto’s

CaptainMusky

If they were Hurting for $ they would be working hard to move more auto’s

The trouble is the OEMs are not really offering much for incentives so it falls on the dealer to offer deep discounts and they really dont want to take a loss on these things. If the market was fine those 2023s would be gone by now or very few left anyway. They used to offer like 10k off on rebates along with great financing that is long gone though I think Ram has announced some larger discounts.

Johnny

wanted a mid sized and test drove several Colorado’s. They were nice, I was looking used and was reading reports of transmission shutter issues.

The tranny issues haunt just about every half ton chevy/GM truck out there in those certain generations. I really want to love my Chevy but I fricken hate it because of the transmission.

CaptainMusky

The 8 speeds had a problem with the fluid that was in them. Once they went with believe it or not Honda tranny fluid they are solid. The 6 spds seem to have their own different issues for searching for gears or slamming into gear at mid range speeds. Glad they got rid of that one.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

The 8 speeds had a problem with the fluid that was in them. Once they went with believe it or not Honda tranny fluid they are solid. The 6 spds seem to have their own different issues for searching for gears or slamming into gear at mid range speeds. Glad they got rid of that one.

Don’t let them tell you it’s a fluid issue Capt. They have problems with the converters. Not saying the fluid change did or did not help just wasn’t nearly the whole story. We have done as many 8 spd as 6. Also heard they are having issues already with the 10 spd too. Sad decline of a really awesome truck.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve head it’s the 10s as well and it’s not fluid it’s internal

CaptainMusky

Also heard they are having issues already with the 10 spd too. Sad decline of a really awesome truck.

Blame Ford on the 10spd because they are the ones who developed it. Mine is great so far but I only have 22k on it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Rasmussen wrote:</div>
    Also heard they are having issues already with the 10 spd too. Sad decline of a really awesome truck.

Blame Ford on the 10spd because they are the ones who developed it. Mine is great so far but I only have 22k on it.

So what your saying is it’s all the gm trannys? Hard to believe ram is the one with a good tranny now days.

CaptainMusky

So what your saying is it’s all the gm trannys? Hard to believe ram is the one with a good tranny now days.

No, Im saying the 10spd was developed by Ford so any blame needs to be laid there not on GM. For the record since Ford developed it when the F150 first started offering it they had WAY more issues than GM due to calibration issues. The torque converters on the 8 spd were getting eating up due to overheating because it wasnt going into the 8th gear. My buddy has a colorado, had the problem had it in multiple times, first few times no change. Then they switched the fluid and its been flawless since for like 3 years. Luckily he caught it early or he would have likely lost a converter too.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

No, Im saying the 10spd was developed by Ford so any blame needs to be laid there not on GM. For the record since Ford developed it when the F150 first started offering it they had WAY more issues than GM due to calibration issues. The torque converters on the 8 spd were getting eating up due to overheating because it wasnt going into the 8th gear. My buddy has a colorado, had the problem had it in multiple times, first few times no change. Then they switched the fluid and its been flawless since for like 3 years. Luckily he caught it early or he would have likely lost a converter too.

Blaming Ford does no good lol, I get its there design but gm adopted it and are the ones having issues. There’s many reasons I’m not a gm guy any more. I used to be.

CaptainMusky

Blaming Ford does no good lol, I get its there design but gm adopted it and are the ones having issues. There’s many reasons I’m not a gm guy any more. I used to be.

Ford is also having issues, but theirs are far more widespread. I havent heard of one grenading, just calibration issues for both companies. However the GM tranny that was a trade swap for the 10spd believe it or not an 8spd has been flawless in Fords go figure, but its in cars not trucks. Different tranny.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

do you guys pull your boats with the middies? not a little flat bottom but like an 18 foot boat?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Hears is my understanding of the situation on the transmissions. Neither ford or GM designed these transmission an outside company did. It was up to each manufacture to take it as designed or ask for changes. I see 4/5 to 1 GM failures to Ford. As for Ram they went with a ZF transmission now and it is holding up a lot better. Its other things that fail on the Rams.

CaptainMusky

An OEM rarely actually builds these things themselves they have someone else do it and then apply them to their products. THey provide the specs they want and then a vendor does it. Its pretty dang common in about any manufacturing scene. They generally design and build engines in house however but a lot of the other stuff is done outside.

CaptainMusky

I think the GM 6 and 8spds were build by Tremec but I could be wrong.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

do you guys pull your boats with the middies? not a little flat bottom but like an 18 foot boat?

I do. I have a 17 ft, 8 inch Ranger aluminum boat. Ranger pulls the Ranger just fine. Mine has a trailer tow package.

A bigger boat might be problematic.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

A bigger boat might be problematic.

How big of a boat before you think it will become Problematic. I believe the rangers are rather for up to 7500 Lbs. I think a fully loader 21Ft glass bass boat with a 250 motor would not be much over 4,000

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Guess I am not really sure. My parents have a 21 foot warrior with a 150 tiller and tandem axle. That thing is like a barge. I would not feel safe towing that with my truck.

Up to an 18-19 foot aluminum boat seems acceptable. Yes my Ranger is rated up to 7500 pounds as long as you have a tow package on it. Without the towing package they are only rated to 3500 pounds I think.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Guess I am not really sure. My parents have a 21 foot warrior with a 150 tiller and tandem axle. That thing is like a barge. I would not feel safe towing that with my truck.

Up to an 18-19 foot aluminum boat seems acceptable.

To me I would not worry much about Pulling it. More of a worry about stopping it. Not sure what the brake setup is like on a Ford Ranger.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

The ridgeline handles a 175 competitor with a 75hp just fine. Granted I just bought the boat this week so I dont have many miles yet. More to come on that.

big_g
    Isle, MN

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

For those of you who own a Truck with a Turbo, What oil are you using in them and what interval are you changing the oil? All my research says to only use full synthetic and go no more than 5,000 between oil changes.

CaptainMusky

All my research says to only use full synthetic and go no more than 5,000 between oil changes.

I would recommend this for ANY engine regardless of turbo or not. Long oil changes is a recipe for disaster and is what leads to the majority of the AFM issues. I think all new engines recommend full synthetic too.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.