Chippewa Flowage fishing report for May 21

• dpomann
    Sartell,MN

Yesterday, guided on the the east side of the chip out of treelands resort. Guided for walleye in the morning, wanted to show the guys a bunch of spots so they could catch walleye while they were on vacation, so we fished deep, fished timber, fished humps and fish weeds, we only fished one or two spots of each in the morning, just to give them a feel for the walleye fishing, caught two walleye and missed a few more, all in weeds in 6-8 feet of water with jigs and minnows. All season so far the best and most consistant bite has been in the weeds, doesn’t even matter what kind of weeds they are, the walleye are in the weeds. the two walleye we got were both between 18-20 inches.

In the afternoon, my friend tyler and his girlfriend malorie went out fishing for a bit, caught a pile of crappies in shallow bays with newly emerging lilly pads and timber in it, the crappies were starting to make beds, along with largemouth bass, neither tyler or I felt like cleaning crappies so we released them all. then we tried one spot for walleye and we missed I think 4 fish on jigs and minnows and got bit off by something. the walleye’s were extremely finiky, and had to give them about 5-10 seconds after they would bite before we would set the hook, if you gave them any less than that you would miss them, also I couldn’t get any on slip bobbers either.

Water temps are 65-67 on the chip, the carp are up spawning and talked to a guy who shot two of them, one was really big. Also leeches should start working pretty good now too.

Hope this helps,

Good luck,
    Tanner Wildes

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Nice pair of ‘eyes!

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

All season so far the best and most consistant bite has been in the weeds, doesn’t even matter what kind of weeds they are, the walleye are in the weeds.

Great reports Tanner. I get a permanent campsite on Lake Callahan this year so I’m looking forward to a lot of trips to the flowage to learn it better. I do great with the panfish but rarely find a walleye.
    I’m curious, how do you work a jig through weeds without dredging them up, or are they sparse enough it’s not difficult? Similar question with the slip-bobber. Doesn’t the bait get twisted up in the vegetation?

John

dpomann
    Sartell,MN

to jig the weeds out there, I cast to the thicker weeds, let the jig sink to the bottom, then really slowly drag your jig on the bottom. when I jig I can just about always feel the bottom, usually your jig just snakes through the weeds, but if you do get hung up on one, either give in a bit of slack and try again, or softly jiggle your rod to move it off of there, don’t jerk it. When you do get a bit give the fish line and let them have it for a few seconds. It seems that I do better when I cast into the thick weeds, and drag the jig through the sporatic weed growth. Hope this helps.

Good luck,
    Tanner Wildes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.