G3 Boats

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Would like to hear from guys who own or have owned G3 boats what do you like about them, what do you not like about them? I want to hear the good the bad and the ugly, I do not know much about them one way or the other so I have come to the best source I know on the web to get good info. Thanks in advance for your replies!

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I believe at one point they were manufactured by LOWE. When you look at them, check all of the components like the handles on compartments. I was killing time at a dealership once and jumped into a new one. This boat was brand new and kept outside at the dealership. I was surprised as to how some of the components were showing rust already. I have never fished in one. That was just one of my observation that really stuck out to me. I also want to point out that this was the only G3 boat I jumped into.

FDR

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The forum member KWP had one about 5 years back. I don’t recall the model, it was a 16.5-17 foot tiller. I fished with him on a number of occasions in Canada with the boat.

It was a nice enough rig. As with any package boat, they have to cut in some places to get the price down, but it fished well and seemed to hold up fine for the couple of years he had it. The boat seemed light for its size, I wondered about the hull thickness.

FDR I had also heard they were made by Lowe, but also heard they were made by Smokercraft. No idea which if any is correct.

I think you could do worse than a G3 if well maintained.

Grouse

Bryan Myers

G3 did have a relationship with Lowe in fact I believe it was actually the 3rd generation of Lowe or something along those lines. But in I think 1997 Yamaha bought them and has owned them ever sense.

I have been running a eagle 175 for quite a few years now and other than some seat stitching coming loose and now some cracks starting to show up in the counsel I can’t complain. I worked at a G3 dealer for a few years in the mid 2000’s we delt mostly with there Jon and bass boats and they seemed to hold up very well. But I can’t really speak for the deep V’s or any of the newer ones for that mater. Hope that helps out alittle anyway.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Didn’t Holst run one 5,6,7 or so years ago?

brentbullets

I believe G3 was started by 3 individuals that came from Lund, Almacraft and Crestliner. I believe they have strong ties with Yamaha and Yamaha may indeed own part of the company now. They make a great boat and if I ever go back to aluminum they would be at the top of my list. The people that I know that have G3 boats or pontoons have no complaints.

Mr. Derek
    NULL

What model are you thinking about?

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I’m pretty sure they were a sponsor on this site not too long ago.

Sam McDonald

My old man and I have been fishing out of an Angler 167C for the last two seasons. This particular model is a bit narrower than say, your average Alumacraft or Lund of the same size. I believe that it is a better trolling rig for inland waters due to this. I have no problems making those tighter turns, and, the 40Hp Yamaha(yes, they own the company) trolls down perfectly. Comfortable seats, although in this model the placement of the pedestal mounts are a bit tight. Great boat to fish two guys out of! The rail mounting system for the rod holders is a little tricky, but, once you figure it out, it’s doable. The main floor is rubberized for easy cleaning. I friggin love that boat, even with it’s quirks. Can’t go wrong for the price in my opinion.

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

I had heard that Sea Nymph was part of this Lowe and G3 family Don’t know this for a fact. Maybe someone knows for sure.

mojogunter

There is no question about it. Yamaha owns G3 boats. Look at the g3 website and yamaha is on the top of the page.

I had heard that Sea Nymph was part of this Lowe and G3 family Don’t know this for a fact. Maybe someone knows for sure.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_2015-06-20-21-00-03.png

ozzyky
    On water

I have an 06 fish eagle 17’5. No complaints motor has been solid. My only beef was I wasn’t able to make any upgrades to it before I got it. Sold as is in package. I switched out the trolling motor and depth finder.

Richard Green

I have a 2015 324SS with a 225 Yamaha that I like very much.

tim hurley

Have owned a g3 for a year now, love it! Solid stable boat. Good multi species boat. I know a lot of people on this site are strictly big water walleye guys and their are probably better brands out there for that niche. Talked to a guy at the boat show last year, he and his family own a resort in Canada they bought 10 of them and they are very happy with the purchase-don’t think Yamaha would want to put out junk.

Deuces

Outfitter V177 T is my current dream boat.

mrpike1973

I have the Outfitter 150 with 30 hp Yamaha, You would not believe all the complements I get. My only beef it can be a little more wet riding then some boats and the paint to me seems very chipy You touch it and it scratches off other then that I love it and would get another one!

Thomas Lentsch

Hi I have just recently purchased a 2007 G3 172 Angler with a 115 HP Yamaha and just wanted to know if anyone has experienced the same problems that I have had. When I first took it out I had a hard time to get it on plane, it had a 3 blade 13 X 19 prop on it and it took forever to plane I changed the prop to a 4 blade 13 x 19 still not much better, researched it a bit more and I added a dol-phin and went to a 4 blade 13.5 x 15 now it has a better hole shot and gets on plane quicker, at full throttle I am running a 6000 rpm and 38 mph thats with 2 people and gear and full tank of gas and if I throttle back 4700 rpm I run about 27 mph and it cruises nicely but I can still only get about the front 1/3 of the boat out of the water, is this normal for this to happen on these boats, I had an 19 ft starcraft with a 115hp e tec and I could get almost 3/4 of the boat out of the water it just seamed to plane a lot better. I have noticed that this boat seem’s to be bow heavy and if I do get half of the boat out of the water it planes nice but any slight wave I hit and it will start to cavitate and I have to bring the trim back in. Has anyone else had this happen and if so is this normal for this boat.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I had a G3 Jon jet for a few years I really liked I just got something bigger.

In responce to Thomas. This is the only time I’ve heard of this- but it wasn’t just hear-say it was my office partner. He has the same 172 model with 115. He also didn’t think it planed out right and what he found out was that the hull was warped/cupped or whatever and was kind of acting like a suction cup on the water. There was a limited number of boats I guess where this happened. I’m fairly certain it was past warranty but the dealer here (Hannays) send it south to the factory and they fixed/replaced it don’t remember. Perhaps take a long straigh edge/level or something to a few places on the hull and see if you can see any irregularities.

Jasiu
    Brooklyn Park, MN

This year I sold my 1996 Smoker Craft 16′ pro-tiller with a Yamaha Pro50, for a 2019 Angler V18 SF. I decided to go with the Yamaha 175 SHO, and Ulterra. We have only had the boat out about 5 times so far, but we are really happy with the room and performance over our old setup. I had a few issues with damage during shipping from G3 to Hannays, but everything was taken care of pretty quickly. If I can answer any specific questions about the model I have, just let me know.

Attachments:
    1. 20190514_195158.jpg

Deuces

Looking real hard at that model for next year.

What’s the rod storage like? Can’t find the measurements on rod lengths.

Been in big waves? The deadrise has me concerned on slapping em hard.

The TM batteries under the rod locker? That boat fairly balanced out? See alot of too much weight in the rear of new boats.

Thanks for any info!!

Thomas Lentsch

Thanks Pete I will check it out and see if there are any irregularities in the bottom of the boat.

Hello Steve,
    Just got my new 2018 GE 1810 in August. Am still working on the 20 hr break-in period on my 115. The problem I have discovered is loading the boat on the trailer… Now to justify my comments… I owned a 2000 G3 Pro 185 for 19 yrs. It was my trade in! That boat loaded like a dream… never had any problem loading it under any weather/water conditions. This new G3 is literally a bitch to load. I sent an email to G3 about the trailer, they sent me the Bear Trailer Co email address. Had a long phone conversation with “Jeff”. In looking and doing extensive measuring of the trailer, bunk placement and all factors that might inhibit the poor loading qualities I have discovered that neither of the 2 (yes just 2) bunks actually “ride up against” either of the 2 chines/ribs on the bottom of the boat! It my understanding the bunks guide the boat onto the trailer so as to line the nose up to hit the front bumper… Well.. due to bunk placement…or improper placement that doesn’t happen… You might ask around to see if any other guys are having the same problem. Send me an email and I’ll fwd my emails from G3 and Bear…
    Harry

Please tell me why the dimensions of the “storage area lid” in the front of the 2020 1610 Sportsman is not the same as the “trolling motor foot pedal recess” area in the 2020 1810 Sportsman? Thus making it easy to change the “foot pedal recess” area into a “storage area” if you don’t like the trolling motor foot pedal to be mounted in the recessed area?

FryDog62

I don’t know the answer, but wonder what G3 transoms are made of? You are seeing more aluminum boats go non-wood for a reason. If you plan to own the boat a long time, or if it will sit outside for any duration, wood will deteriorate and it is not cheap to fix/replace a transom.

Dave Johnson

Hey folks, newish to the boating world, spent 3 years sailing a 30 foot Pearson but am just in the process of buying my first power boat g3 angler v17 fs with Vmax 115 sho. I can confirm that all the transom in my boat is all aluminum, and I can give an update on loading, planning and general impression from it once I receive it and get on the water. Although you might take my opinion with a grain of salt as I don’t have experience with these types of boats at all.

mike oldemeyer

I have purchased a 2013 eagle 166se. when I got it – it was like new there were no scratches on the boat any where. a matter of fact the paint aluminum prop is still on it. i have taken this bout several times and every time I come back to the house the storage compartment is wet. has any one else has this problem?

dan melton

2021 g3 gator sc17.75hp yamaha.first time i was launched off trailer boat listed quite a bit to starboard.now I’m not a small man but come on.moved my 2 batteries to port side and moved 18lb anchor.helped a little but still lists.could it be the 19 gallon fuel tank at back of boat causing the unbalance?

James Chandler

the fuel cell runs along the port side. the only thing I can suggest is to have the engine mounting checked. make sure it’s plumb.

HookLine&Sinker

I had a V167T for a few years. It was a nice boat and cost less than the offerings from other brands.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.