Pontoon Question

• Nodakk

For those that have them..

I am looking at two different slightly used pontoons. Both 2022 models and same price/interior layout but different brands. Both also have a 150hp motor (one is Yamaha, the other Suzuki). One is a tritoon with 23” tubes and the other is a pontoon with 25” tubes. The pontoon interior looks to be in slightly better condition but both are still near new.

Any idea of performance differences? I’d assume the tritoon will have some extra buoyancy. However both have similar weight capacities and HP. We will have it on a large lake and it will be a common occurrence to 3/4 speed for a few miles with 5-6 adults

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I have heard tri-toons will perform better on bigger / rough water but I have no personal knowledge of that. Any neighbors you can get a honest opinion from?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Tritoon.

They just eat waves, turn better, less prone to rocking, you don’t have to worry as much about weight distribution with a crowd, and your resale value will be far better.

“Large Lake” is a relative term though so it’s hard to know your specific application. We run ours mainly on Pool 4, sometimes lock through to 5, and a couple times a year haul it north to some of the big rec lakes around Hayward.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Do they both have vinyl flooring? That’s a game changer vs carpet…Tri-toon will perform much better and as mentioned handle more weight and waves…

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Tri,
    No need to discuss it any further.

marendt
    Lake City, MN

Have had both. Tritoon all day long. More stable, drives like a boat, just an all better watercraft.

Nodakk

So the 25” toons don’t make enough of a difference? Figured that but thought I’d ask especially as the max weight was the same

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.