Vermilion Help!

• zamer
    Grimes, Iowa

I will be in the Ely area all next week and have always wanted to fish Vermilion. I am thinking of taking a day with the wife and giving the Big V a try. I will probably put in at the Soudan area. Any ideas on where to fish and what to use? I would really like to get my wife on the smallies. I heard that top water was working pretty well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Zamer,

Look for rock piles and laydowns. When I was up earlier in the summer the bite was tough. We made a living flipping tubes and senkos around docks, downed trees and boulder humps. If the bite is on throw cranks and jerk baits.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. WHAT A GREAT LAKE!!!

BTW… When running vermillion give all of the marker bouy’s a wide bith. We found a great number of boulders outside the marked areas. They would ruin your day quickly.

brunn
    Andover, MN

I just spent the past week fishing V and it was a great time, especially since I was new to the lake. The first couple of days produced some good smallies, fishing the many rocky points and islands anywhere from Indian to Moccasin point using plastics – especially craw shaped. Our largest was about 3lbs. We limited out on walleyes fishing the main lake reefs using plain lindy’s tipped with crawlers. We really had to work at it, as the fish were scattered, but patience paid off in the end. Most of the fish we saw were in 20ft. The shallows of Greenwood bay also produced large numbers of pike using shallow cranks and buzzers. If you’re into musky fishing, some of the guys staying at our resort told us they caught a 50 and a 42 while night fishing. Those guys were hardcore musky fishermen. We didn’t try too hard for muskies, but we saw one boat at mid-day throwing to a 50incher that wouldn’t budge, in one of the smaller bays near Dago. Good luck.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.