ABS sensor question

• phishirman
    Madison, WI

I just brought my 05 Titan in to the dealer for a recall on some sort of relay and figured I’d get an oil change and my tires rotated while it was in for service. paid for the work, hopped in and my ABS and SLIP lights are on. I went back in and they hooked it up to the computer and put the truck back up on the rack. They told me the front driver’s side ABS sensor has somehow in a miraculous coincidence failed between the time they rotated the tires and me getting in the truck and they want $200+ to replace it. I tried to change a tire on this truck one time before and found it impossible to get it off. I asked the guy at Tires Plus who put new tires on my truck how they get them off and he basically said they just beat on em til they come off. I’m no ASE mechanic, but can I pretty much assume this sensor was somehow damaged during the tire rotation?

big_g
    Isle, MN

I would think if you were getting a rotation, your tires are removed regularly ? Or that you just got new tires 6K ago ? There is no way they should have to beat your rims loose, unless they have been on the same hub for years ? Does this shop have a good reputation ? Things can happen at the darndest times…. I know here, that much of a coincidence and I am swallowing it, not worth the fight Your reaction is what most peoples would be… if you went to the doctor with a tummy ache and left with a headache, would you blame him ???

phishirman
    Madison, WI

I bought the truck (05 Titan) 2 years ago with 25K and crap tires. shortly after purchase I saw a nail in one of them and tried to pull the thing off to change it. It would NOT come off. I brought it in to Tires Plus to just get them all replaced and asked how the H they get them off and thats when he just said they beat on em with a BFH. I’ve put 20K on the tires and was overdue for a rotate so I had the dealership do it since it was in for service anyway. Not sure of their reputation, but I figure if anyone is competent enough to diagnose and properly work on my vehicle, it would be the dealer.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I would hope anybody calling themself a repair facility could handle a rotate without wrecking stuff..

Jaya
    Zimmerman, MN

Read a forum online that said this is common. They recommend a dead blow hammer (a hammer with a plastic head and sand bag) to remove the tire. That is probably what they used at tires plus, not to say they didnt break the sensor but good luck!

predator2 jr
    rochester,mn

they maybe have damaged something when beating the tire off if it hit the sensor! otherwise is it within reason that it went in that time frame!

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

I had the same thing happen after a brake job on a Suburban.

I knew something wasn’t right when the vehicle would brake

normal and then it seemed like the pedal would soften momentarily and the vehicle would move forward faster than

anticipated.

Speed sensor air gaps were the culprit. They had to clean

the mounting surfaces and reinstall them.

I’m sure BFHing the rotors off has absolutely nothing to

do with it.

Found out later that there was a bulletin about this problem.

I hate coincidences………….

I always leave a dealership with a headache.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

and I no longer have 4WD.

Talked to my brother in law who is a BMW tech and he said there is a good chance the sensor was probably ready to go and pulling the tire off did it in. Unless there is physical damage, I feel a little better knowing I’m not getting completely screwed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.