Holy crap guys… this poor trout!

• armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

A friend of mine from WA just IMed me and showed me these two pictures. The fish in question is a nice little 2# rainbow… perfect eater size. In the first picture are 3 little perch (the third is mostly digested just south of the gill covers). He found 11 soft artificials in the thing’s gullet and it was still managing to pass baitfish thru it’s digestive tract.

So, anyone… did it nail all that bass bait as it was being fished, or do you think it sucked it up off the bottom?

armchairdeity

He’s got some higher-res versions if you want to get a closer look:

High-res 1

high-res 2

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

thing looks posessed

spikefu
    Whatcom County, WA

Caught on Powerbait Chartreuse Trout Nuggets at Lake Terrell in Whatcom County, WA on size 6 Gamakatsu baitholder hook. Bait was floating about 3 feet off the bottom in about 6-8 feet of water. I had a pair of nuggets on the hook, one up the shank and the other with the hook point buried in it.

Bait was in the water for about 45 minutes before the fish took it.

armchairdeity

Hey Spike!

That’s 2 new IDOers in as many days… Do I get a hat or a tshirt or something?

Spike’s been a friend for years, and is the one who caught the trout in the first place.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

welcome to the site spike, sure looks like someone kicked their tackle tray over the edge of the boat and this hungry guy was thinking he was in heaven! Let us know if the trout has a slight twang of plastic when you cook it up.

spikefu
    Whatcom County, WA

Just went and double checked those soft baits, 1 of them had a partial hook in it, and all of them had hook tear out to a greater or lesser degree. Not sure whether the trout stole them off the line, or if they were discarded because they were worn out and it picked them up that way.

They are in various states of decomposition though, so it looks like they accumulated over a period of time.

Going to cook it for dinner tonight. Will report back on whether it tasted like car tires.

dylan-gravenhof
    Worthington, MN

It must have really been hungry!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

News is starting to come out about all the plastic we put in the waters and it doesnt sound good.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

News is starting to come out about all the plastic we put in the waters and it doesnt sound good.

Just more amo for PETA

Welcome to IDO Spike, cool pics

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.