Someone knowledgeable to sell me a Droid

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I made up my mind today… I was going to buy a Droid. Despite all the technology in my life I’m still carting around a phone that is actually just a phone. Or on windy days, a paper weight. I’ve needed access to my email on the road and a couple projects looming on the horizon will make use of the ability to transmit data. After some talking with friends and trying various phones the one I like the best is the Droid. And it has the ability to tether to a laptop which is one of my primary needs. I’ve done more than a little research on this capability and found that there’s a number of ways to get it done. I also know I can set up the tether on a Mac OS X laptop, again, mighty important to me.

So today’s the day. I go to the Verizon “store” (actually one of those mid-walkway kiosks) and wait for my turn to talk to one of their reps. First question out of my mouth is… which method do you recommend for tethering.” He responds… “a Droid cannot be tethered.” I try and explain that I spent the morning researching the various ways that it can be done on both PC and OS X platforms. Again I’m told it is impossible.

Recalling the old adage about arguing with “non-smart” people I slowly back away and decide I’m best off to go find a place to spend my money where people actually know their product.

So, after all this typing my question is has anyone here that owns a Droid run across an exceptionally knowledgeable Verizon sales staff / store? I’d really like to know that if I need tech support on this purchase I will be spending my money with someone that knows more than how to change the battery.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Want my two cents?

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Quote:

Recalling the old adage about arguing with “non-smart” people

When have we ever argued?

When I was setting up my Blackberry to work with my laptop and had questions about email set-up I called directly to Verizon and spoke with a rep at their help desk and got a ton of great information saving me several headaches. I bet somebody there could give you all the correct info, and maybe a direct dealer in your area.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Want my two cents?

I’m honestly afraid to ask. Sure… why not?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Recalling the old adage about arguing with “non-smart” people

When have we ever argued?

Quote:

When I was setting up my Blackberry to work with my laptop and had questions about email set-up I called directly to Verizon and spoke with a rep at their help desk and got a ton of great information saving me several headaches. I bet somebody there could give you all the correct info, and maybe a direct dealer in your area.

I plan on calling Verizon tomorrow AM. So we kinda’ think alike. But I do want to find a real live person knowledgeable about the product to work with locally if at all possible. And I’ve had some seriously good luck asking this type of question here on IDO. So… don’t let me down, people.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I need to do the same thing James is trying to do and was planning to do it this week. I need something that can give me internet access on the road and if I could link it to my laptop that would be ideal. My problem is my wife and I have Sprint and I don’t think the Droid is compatible with Sprint’s service from what I heard.

I hope you don’t mind me piggybacking your thread here, James. If Droid can’t work with Sprint I’ll start a different thread to avoid a mess with this thread. Anyone know?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I can’t remember which genlteman it is, but either RyanK or Jacob work in the biz. I’ve personally had very good luck talking to the staff at an actual Verizon store. The one at Ridgedale mall, across the street from Champs. I’ve bought all our devices there for the past two years. Stay away from the kiosk folks.

You could also call Motorola. It may take a bit to get through the level 1 tech support folks, but I’ve had decent luck with them. The Verizon staff is getting stronger by the day compared to the initial roll out.

Given the OS on this device is open source, there is so much out there that the V and M staff simply don’t keep up on.

http://www.junefabrics.com/android/index.php

Good seeing you again last night.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Not to drag the thread off topic, but a quick question. Does tethering require an additional data plan / service charge? Or is that included in the unlimited data?

I too have been looking at the Droid as my last phone is still suffering the long term effects of getting wet it the rain

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I have the HTC windows phone and I have email to my work office outlook and my personal email on Hotmail. I plug my phone into my labtop and then switch my phone off via the menu and start a active syn program, then open verizon wireless program on my labtop and log on to the 3G net work. Some places my hook up is Slooooow, but in the metro it is fast. Just do not go to northern Iowa and want it to work fast.

goldy gopher
    Le Sueur, MN

James,

If you can get a hold of Josh Rucker at the River Hills Mall in Mankato, he’s the man. Awesome kid! Store number is 507-385-2400. Tell him Jamison sent you.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Verizon charges for tethering your smartphone to use as a modem.

If you went with a blackberry… you can buy a program called Tetherberry. It, as well, acts like a modem… but is a 1 time price (I think $50)… and as long as you have an unlimited data plan, no monthly charges.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

There are ways to teether with pretty much all smart phone I haven’t setup my wife’s Hero to do it yet, my winmo 6.1 does it pretty much flawless.

Companies want to charge for the service, there are ways around it if you were a power user, you’d be best off paying for it, if you use it occasionally you can get away with doing it free through one of many different options. I figure I already pay for “unlimited” web services on my phone, what’s the difference if it’s hooked up to my laptop?

James I think Ryan K on here does or did work at a verizon store in apple valley IIRC.

I’m not 100% aboard with the google phones yet, I holding out for a good phone with a keyboard (on sprint) APs are nice, I still havent found something my wife’s phone can do that I can’t (or need) to do on my phone yet, at times we’ve had to use my phone to get something online that the Hero wouldn’t/couldn’t do. All that being said the Hero, runs an older less complicated version of driod software, so I can’t really compare it fully to the actual droid. I think time will tell, and I think google phone will be the way to go in due time.

P.S. I may or may not be teethering right now

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

My two cents….

As Kooty alluded, Ryank is into cell phones, well pretty much all day. Both of these guys have been a great help to me over the last year or so.

He’ll be contacting you when he’s back from putting Jacob on fish again.

I guess that’s about 4 cents worth.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

If you went with a blackberry… you can buy a program called Tetherberry. It, as well, acts like a modem… but is a 1 time price (I think $50)… and as long as you have an unlimited data plan, no monthly charges.

I found quite a few methods for tethering that didn’t require paying any additional fees. I’m not sure if they’re the best methods or even a legit method but I want to talk to someone in the know that will answer this type of question honestly. As for blackberrys… I’m not sure why but they one’s I’ve played with never struck a cord with me.

In all honesty if I knew that the Iphone would be available on the Verizon network in the next 3-6 months with 100% certainty, I’d wait. Again, the Iphone isn’t listed as “tetherable” but there’s ways to get it done and it works well.

So many options… and that’s why I need to find a real live person that lives and breathes this stuff to talk with about all the options.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

My two cents….

As Kooty alluded, Ryank is into cell phones, well pretty much all day. Both of these guys have been a great help to me over the last year or so.

Sounds like RyanK is my huckleberry. Whether he likes it or not.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

that’s why I need to find a real live person that lives and breathes

According to Jacob, Ryan might be questionable in this area.

You’re on your own.

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Quote:

I made up my mind today… I was going to buy a Droid. Despite all the technology in my life I’m still carting around a phone that is actually just a phone. Or on windy days, a paper weight. I’ve needed access to my email on the road and a couple projects looming on the horizon will make use of the ability to transmit data. After some talking with friends and trying various phones the one I like the best is the Droid.

This is exactly what I thought a coulpe weeks ago, now on my third one Bad speaker on the first and a bad light sensor on the second. hope fully the 3rd times a charm but I do recommend going to a verizon store, seems everyone there was very into knowing their products

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

With my curve 2, I now use my laptop a LOT less. I am however having issues pulling up IDO on it now…says it is “Too Large”. Never had that issue on the old curve. I can still pull up IDO Hunting though…

Very strong phone and fast with 3G and WiFi. No more track ball…THANK GOD!!!!

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

With my curve 2, I now use my laptop a LOT less. I am however having issues pulling up IDO on it now…says it is “Too Large”. Never had that issue on the old curve. I can still pull up IDO Hunting though…

Very strong phone and fast with 3G and WiFi. No more track ball…THANK GOD!!!!

Chris have you tried Opera Mini? (4.2) I use it on my winmo phone, plain and simple the best overall browser for a phone I’ve used, it does have some issues, like having to open a text box to type instead of typing right onscreen. Pull up IDO in the best usable format, I’ve seen. Sadly Opera mini (in beta test phase) seems to have made a bunch of changes for the worse (IMHO)

Just try it, I do believe it works on a curve.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

I found quite a few methods for tethering that didn’t require paying any additional fees. I’m not sure if they’re the best methods or even a legit method but I want to talk to someone in the know that will answer this type of question honestly. As for blackberrys… I’m not sure why but they one’s I’ve played with never struck a cord with me.

In all honesty if I knew that the Iphone would be available on the Verizon network in the next 3-6 months with 100% certainty, I’d wait. Again, the Iphone isn’t listed as “tetherable” but there’s ways to get it done and it works well.

So many options… and that’s why I need to find a real live person that lives and breathes this stuff to talk with about all the options.

I would wait, the Iphone is coming, verizon store staff is starting to leak more info each time I am in the store. Some say the back to school august rush, or thanksgiving time…

I just can’t get over the droid keyboard…it is off center!!!!????

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would wait, the Iphone is coming, verizon store staff is starting to leak more info each time I am in the store. Some say the back to school august rush, or thanksgiving time…

Up until this last week it sounded like is was going to happen. Now it sounds like it might not be until 2011 at the earliest.

http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/01/30/new-iphone-4g-apple-to-stick-with-att-not-verizon/

I had been following that talk about opening up the Iphone to other networks the past couple months and it was looking like it was a done deal. Now I don’t think I want to wait that long.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Dang! Well, they sure are doing a good job keeping us guessing…

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Quote:

The cell phone carrier has promised to improve its network; we recently reported that if AT&T wanted to catch up to Verizon, then they would need to spend at least $5 billion.

I was hoping that Verizon would offer the iPhone too. The above quote is why I am waiting.

kooty
    Keymaster

I just pulled out our invoice. I do not pay for a tethering service fee, yet with the $30.00 software I can tether. I talk on average about 1500 minutes a month with 450 texts and countless corporate emails. My bill is currently $108.00/month.

One thing I’m gonna do is see if they can improve our bill with the new $69.99 package that Verizon recently came out with.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Are you talking about the under bite? They made it like that so they had a place to put the Verizon logo to remind us who owns us.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

One thing I’m gonna do is see if they can improve our bill with the new $69.99 package that Verizon recently came out with.

If I was going to switch plans that is the one I would be looking at, I would also wait until they come out with 4G which I would think should be right around the corner as Sprint has already come out with it. From what I have heard the differance between 3G & 4G is like night and day.

kooty
    Keymaster

If that is the case, 4g is going to be nuts. However the coverage is gonna take a while to get upgraded everywhere. I wouldn’t hold my breath. I can already stream video etc… Not sure what I personally need 4g for. Most likely, it’s a firmware update on these new Droids anyway. Unless they market like Apple.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Quote:

As for blackberrys… I’m not sure why but they one’s I’ve played with never struck a cord with me.

Ya well mine has struck my last nerve. Ya know they call them smartphones because you have to be smart to use one. I wish they would come out with stupidphones; ya know for guys like me.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

I can’t stand the Droid physical keyboard either. Kooty,Pugg are you guys using the touchscreen virtual keyboard or the real deal when typing?

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

it is centered to the left, for the dumb (IMO) directional pad. so…with that the keyboard is not centered when you are holding the phone. It was also very hard for me to type the upper keys…I am a bigger guy, and have big hands. That keyboard was impossible for me…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.