Someone knowledgeable to sell me a Droid

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

The only time my phone gets slid open is to show it has the full qwerty keyboard. I rarely even use it in landscape mode.

Something I learned yesterday. All you need is the $30.00 data plan even if you are using Microsft Exchange(typcially VZW charges $45.00). With that plan, I can send and recieve emails to my corporate Exchange system, sync contacts and calendar also. It also syncs with my gmail account. I’ve also downloaded several free apps that require gps service. Lastly I’ve got facebook on there also. One pretty cool feature is it can synchronize all my contacts from three sources.

The one thing I’ve discovered lately is sometimes I can’t view pictures embedded in my gmail. I haven’t called tech support since that is my joke/junk email account.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

Something I learned yesterday. All you need is the $30.00 data plan even if you are using Microsft Exchange(typcially VZW charges $45.00). With that plan, I can send and recieve emails to my corporate Exchange system, sync contacts and calendar also. It also syncs with my gmail account. I’ve also downloaded several free apps that require gps service. Lastly I’ve got facebook on there also. One pretty cool feature is it can synchronize all my contacts from three sources.

That is what I do. I use my Blackberry Curve for exactly what you are trying to do James. I pay another $30 a month for the data plan I am on with Verizon. In remote spots the internet is a little slow but still works. The tethering easy and fast to get set-up and I can manage all my email accounts and they sync with my desktop which is a must.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I can’t stand the Droid physical keyboard either. Kooty,Pugg are you guys using the touchscreen virtual keyboard or the real deal when typing?

I’d say 95% virtual, 5% qwerty. It depends on how much typing I’ll be doing. It’s tough with the virtual if you make a mistake and want to go back and edit it. Hard getting the cursor in the right place, where as with the qwerty I can use the directional pad. But it would be silly to use the qwerty to type in a URL. That’s why I say 95%. Most things just don’t require much typing.

I am thinking it would be fun to start a Droid/Android phone Apps thread. What Apps you using or plan on using for fishing and what other useful apps do you have? I thought Qik might be fun to show some live reports when you are fishing. The video recorder is definitely going to eat up a lot of memory on my trips. I am also thinking about Tweeting, although I feel dirty even thinking about it. Could be fun when you are tweeting back and forth with others on the water. But I digress, that is for another thread. Attempted hijack thwarted and aborted.

The rumor that was going around before the Droid came out was that exchange synching would cost extra. That turned out to be a rumor only. Not sure about tethering.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Pug Tweeting could be a Classic!
    Sign me up!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Or people could join Latitude and I could come ‘visit’ people while they fish.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.