Rod Building – Fish Scale Wrap

• shoot_n_release
    Mora, MN

I’m building a custom rod and would like to do a fish scale butt wrap. What is the difficulty level of this wrap and is a template required?

Are there any books available that detail the wrapping process for a wrap similar to this? Thanks for the info!

Lars

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

It’s not that hard to do
    it’s called a plus+ 1 wrap
    looks great in met.gold and black
    like carp scales
    Dale Clements wrote a book on wraps and weaving that is good.
    Check out Mudhole Tackle they sell it I think
    be sure to check out the wraps they have posted from other builders

ryno

Check out this website. I found it very helpful when I started to build rods. The link should take you to the how to section. Like Rod-man said it is not a real hard one. Like all wraps just make sure your first lay is straight and you take your time.
    Good luck.

Ryno

rod guild

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I wouldn’t look at it as a dificulty level; but more as a level of patience. I have a few books at home and can not specificly remember any titles to refer you to. To do a diamond wrap, is pretty simple. A good scale, razor blade, and strips of tape. Begin your solid base wrap and include loops of mono for starting each additional color. Measure your wrap spacing for your desired diamond size. Work from the outside inward with each color. PM me with any specific questions and I’ll try to get some pics taken and loaded on here. FYI – Milemark_714 is a great rod builder. I let him work on a couple of mine over the years

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

The best self learn books out there is Avanced Custom Rod Building by Dale P Clemens.

For the cost of media shipping I will bowwor my to anyone interested in reading it.

shoot_n_release
    Mora, MN

Quote:

Check out this website. I found it very helpful when I started to build rods. The link should take you to the how to section. Like Rod-man said it is not a real hard one. Like all wraps just make sure your first lay is straight and you take your time.
    Good luck.

Ryno

rod guild

I’ve looked through the Rod Guild website a few times in the past, but decided to read through all of the tutorials last night. What a wealth of information they have!

Now that I know what a plus-1 wrap is, I’ll be able to do the wrap now… with some patience.

Thanks for the help guys!

Lars

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.